TR Haunt

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
TR Haunt

Come hangout

+3
James.k.Polk
Patch
NebulaJack
7 posters

Holiday __eers (Ch or J as the case may be)

James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk
    Achieved rank by cheating

Holiday __eers (Ch or J as the case may be) - Page 8 Empty Re: Holiday __eers (Ch or J as the case may be)

Post by James.k.Polk Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:27 pm

Patch wrote:
    James.k.Polk wrote:

Patch and I had dinner last week... even he says he only ever hits Topless Robot on the day the comic book column is published.  That site is a sad ghost of itself and I have come to blame Luke for it all.  I know he has no control of the mechanics of things, but his management of content has been getting worse and worse.

On the bright side the hours I spent there are freed up. I browse whatever shows up on the screen and move on when I remember comics came out. Nothing there I find interesting. Which speaks highly of all of you, since it proves y'all were the good part of that site.

I find the holidays depressing. Today I am just a little blue and the thing I am feeling is a sense of things lost. A cool secret hangout on the internet is among them.
    Patch
    Patch

Holiday __eers (Ch or J as the case may be) - Page 8 Empty Re: Holiday __eers (Ch or J as the case may be)

Post by Patch Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:19 pm

James.k.Polk wrote:

Patch and I had dinner last week... even he says he only ever hits Topless Robot on the day the comic book column is published.  That site is a sad ghost of itself and I have come to blame Luke for it all.  I know he has no control of the mechanics of things, but his management of content has been getting worse and worse.

On the bright side the hours I spent there are freed up. I browse whatever shows up on the screen and move on when I remember comics came out. Nothing there I find interesting. Which speaks highly of all of you, since it proves y'all were the good part of that site.
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:44 pm

James.k.Polk wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:
    James.k.Polk wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:Sly has a contest on the TRV page to win a ps4 game.  I don't own a ps4, but I went on to read...and got pissed off.  Sly talks about women's body images in video games and explains how a company researched athletic women and women who do X and Y, and all that to come up with a realistic body for their female character.  And some ass in the comments states she has too many moles.  What a stupid comment to make in regards to characters having more realistic bodies-people have moles.  Now chicks with moles have to worry they aren't skinny enough, boobs aren't big enough, AND have too many moles?

I'm not in the best mood today, I should know better than to read the comments.  The new people suck.

So you're reaffirming I made a good choice walking away and not trying to recapture the glory days.

And his attempts to make family-friendly and civil have been a sham-- I contend we had a more civilized group when we had more freedom to post our own content unmolested.  I wonder if his overlords sense that it is nearly time to change editors?

He has no control over some things-okay, maybe bosses wanted a new name or didn't want to pay so we have Facebook.  But he could quit treating long-time readers like dirt.  He could add more content that his readers are interested in.  He could have a better attitude about suggestions or criticisms.

Agreed.  Anything we said we liked, he more or less dumped.  Hey Luke,  I like the fast food reviews.  

Well, never doing that again.

Here let me farm out some more content to a family member who'll work free or nearly so. And advice columns aren't nerdy,  but if you ask for content I don't think of as nerdy I'm going to shit on you like you asked me to murder my wife.

And I know you can't help the types of commenters that come by, but before, we had an atmosphere of friendliness. So if a jerkface showed up, there were plenty of other good people to drown his out. Now, when there are 8 freaking comments on a story, those jerkfaces really stand out.
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:29 pm

rkwsuperstar wrote:
    James.k.Polk wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:Sly has a contest on the TRV page to win a ps4 game.  I don't own a ps4, but I went on to read...and got pissed off.  Sly talks about women's body images in video games and explains how a company researched athletic women and women who do X and Y, and all that to come up with a realistic body for their female character.  And some ass in the comments states she has too many moles.  What a stupid comment to make in regards to characters having more realistic bodies-people have moles.  Now chicks with moles have to worry they aren't skinny enough, boobs aren't big enough, AND have too many moles?

I'm not in the best mood today, I should know better than to read the comments.  The new people suck.

So you're reaffirming I made a good choice walking away and not trying to recapture the glory days.

And his attempts to make family-friendly and civil have been a sham-- I contend we had a more civilized group when we had more freedom to post our own content unmolested.  I wonder if his overlords sense that it is nearly time to change editors?

He has no control over some things-okay, maybe bosses wanted a new name or didn't want to pay so we have Facebook.  But he could quit treating long-time readers like dirt.  He could add more content that his readers are interested in.  He could have a better attitude about suggestions or criticisms.

Agreed. Anything we said we liked, he more or less dumped. Hey Luke, I like the fast food reviews.

Well, never doing that again.

Here let me farm out some more content to a family member who'll work free or nearly so. And advice columns aren't nerdy, but if you ask for content I don't think of as nerdy I'm going to shit on you like you asked me to murder my wife.
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:12 pm

James.k.Polk wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:

He has no control over some things-okay, maybe bosses wanted a new name or didn't want to pay so we have Facebook. But he could quit treating long-time readers like dirt. He could add more content that his readers are interested in. He could have a better attitude about suggestions or criticisms.
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:08 pm

James.k.Polk wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:

I went to the comment for Sly. He posted in the FB group that he was saddened by the lack of entrants. The contest is basically, create a video game. Well, yea, because all the regulars have been driven away. Then I get on there and out of like 8 comments I think 3 were actual entries, one was this asshole, one was another asshole saying it's not fair that WOMEN get all the complaints about body image when men's bodies aren't represented well (I refrained from asking him how many men were bulimic or anorexic as a result of unattainable images of men) and one was Gallen discussing how tv images were just as hurtful BLAH BLAH BLAH whatever the hell he talks about.
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:36 pm

rkwsuperstar wrote:

Patch and I had dinner last week... even he says he only ever hits Topless Robot on the day the comic book column is published. That site is a sad ghost of itself and I have come to blame Luke for it all. I know he has no control of the mechanics of things, but his management of content has been getting worse and worse.

And his attempts to make family-friendly and civil have been a sham-- I contend we had a more civilized group when we had more freedom to post our own content unmolested. I wonder if his overlords sense that it is nearly time to change editors?
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Fri Dec 11, 2015 3:02 pm

I'm not in the best mood today, I should know better than to read the comments. The new people suck.
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:57 pm

Sly has a contest on the TRV page to win a ps4 game. I don't own a ps4, but I went on to read...and got pissed off. Sly talks about women's body images in video games and explains how a company researched athletic women and women who do X and Y, and all that to come up with a realistic body for their female character. And some ass in the comments states she has too many moles. What a stupid comment to make in regards to characters having more realistic bodies-people have moles. Now chicks with moles have to worry they aren't skinny enough, boobs aren't big enough, AND have too many moles?
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:49 pm

rkwsuperstar wrote:
    theIllustriousDrGonzo wrote:good afternoon everyone. It's Friday. It's December and 60 degrees here..Farmers is saying we're going to have a mild winter and a mild summer, which I am fine with. Anyway, enough waffling, I hope everyone has a great weekend. I'll be hanging around the house eating vodka infused Lego figures and bricks..Naked.

71 here...

Almost 80 here. But cooler and rainy tomorrow. Then colder on Sunday.
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Fri Dec 11, 2015 2:08 pm

theIllustriousDrGonzo wrote:good afternoon everyone. It's Friday. It's December and 60 degrees here..Farmers is saying we're going to have a mild winter and a mild summer, which I am fine with. Anyway, enough waffling, I hope everyone has a great weekend. I'll be hanging around the house eating vodka infused Lego figures and bricks..Naked.

71 here...
    theIllustriousDrGonzo
    theIllustriousDrGonzo
    Believes Timely and Gonzo are meant to be together

Post by theIllustriousDrGonzo Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:18 pm

good afternoon everyone. It's Friday. It's December and 60 degrees here..Farmers is saying we're going to have a mild winter and a mild summer, which I am fine with. Anyway, enough waffling, I hope everyone has a great weekend. I'll be hanging around the house eating vodka infused Lego figures and bricks..Naked.
    Patch
    Patch

Post by Patch Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:34 am

James.k.Polk wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:
    theIllustriousDrGonzo wrote:Patch, Amazon is telling me the first part of your gift will be there on this Monday the 14th. So make sure your indentured servant keeps an eye on the mailbox. I'm worried you won't like it, so I am going to hand mail you something as well here in the next week or so, I just wanted to make sure you got this part before Christmas.

If he doesn't like it, maybe he'll give it to his indentured servant.

And I would be thankful.

That's funny
    Patch
    Patch

Post by Patch Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:33 am

theIllustriousDrGonzo wrote:Patch, Amazon is telling me the first part of your gift will be there on this Monday the 14th. So make sure your indentured servant keeps an eye on the mailbox. I'm worried you won't like it, so I am going to hand mail you something as well here in the next week or so, I just wanted to make sure you got this part before Christmas.

I'm sure I'll like it. Amazon screwed up my order and split them so I have part of yours and part of Jack's (since he missed the name drawing) the rest was supposed to arrive yesterday. Now it's pushed out to Saturday. So hopefully it arrives and I can get them out Monday. If not I'll have to send what I have and ship the rest when it gets here.

I think you will like what I got you, just worried you may already have part of it.
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:48 am

Yesterday at work.

10:00 Hourlong weekly beating conference call. I hate fucking conference calls. Corporate sales director asks my District manager to pick a manager to talk about a current promotion/contest. My DM calls me out. (Nothing stresses me more than talking on the national conference call, especially when I have not refreshed my memory on the topic.) Luckily the Sales Director says "no you can't call Polk-- we know he knows the details." I'm off the hook but was too late. My heart was already racing in full fight-or-flight mode.

11:00 AM check in phones. Not really very many on the order this week, and it's what, 2 weeks until Christmas? Also business has been very, very slow and we are not likely to hit our Gross Profit goal of nearly 60k.

11:30 read email. Boss says "please order extra phones for the weekend-- we expect busy times." Send email requesting about an additional 40 handsets.

12:10 response from Devices team "you have $xxxxxx of inventory and now you're asking for this many more???!??" Forward the email to my district manager because god dammit.

12:30 our corporate audit guy comes into the store "don't worry I'm not here to audit." He proceeds to finds about 12 audit errors and makes sure to email me and all my bosses pointing them out. Yeah I let audit slide in december, sue me-- I'm worried about sales, not signage and displays.

1:30 call my district manager-- she hasn't seen or read the email from earlier.

2:00 give up on holidays. Decide to have pork chops for lunch instead.

Fuck it. Today I am getting a hair cut and I am not clocking out before I go.
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:37 am

rkwsuperstar wrote:

And I would be thankful.
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:05 pm

theIllustriousDrGonzo
    theIllustriousDrGonzo

Post by theIllustriousDrGonzo Thu Dec 10, 2015 12:05 pm

Patch, Amazon is telling me the first part of your gift will be there on this Monday the 14th. So make sure your indentured servant keeps an eye on the mailbox. I'm worried you won't like it, so I am going to hand mail you something as well here in the next week or so, I just wanted to make sure you got this part before Christmas.
    Patch
    Patch

Post by Patch Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:48 am

The hungover games is on. The hangover guys wake up (once again) to find themselves in the future (I guess). When they check their phones they see they have volunteered for the death match.

Here are the districts
    Superhero
    Middle Earth
    Puppet
    Depp (Captain Jack, Tonto and Willie Wonka)
    The Real Housewives of district 8
    Django
    Gratuitous Nudity district
    Horror
    Katnip Everdeen
    And the Hungover guys

Never heard of it, but it's probably just as good as either of the real sequels.
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Thu Dec 10, 2015 10:17 am

James.k.Polk wrote:
    NebulaJack wrote:I'm sure I've mentioned before how I expect to eventually see a car wreck while working my sign waiving job. Well, the other day, I got kind of close. It wasn't on the job, but on the way, and it wasn't major. As the bus was getting near my stop, a car pulled out of the parking lot of the Goodwill nearby, and in what looked like trying to get right behind the bus so as to shave maybe a second or two of the driver's times, she instead gently hit the bus, moving slowly enough as to do no real damage) and had to wait 15 minutes while a city employee came out to assess the situation.

Maybe it's petty, but I take pleasure in seeing someone have a little impatience backfire in a very small way.

I was stuck in stop/go traffic for over an hour when my commute is typically forty minutes. Two, count em, two accidents between me and my work location. It is stressful to know that you can leave for work extra early one morning and arrive later than you would have if you'd overslept and ran out the door at the last minute.

I have many complaints about Supesville, but traffic isn't one of them. Oh, we have terrible drivers and we have one parking lot that I HATE to go into, but unless you get stopped for a funeral procession or behind a tractor, you really don't have traffic to deal with.
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Thu Dec 10, 2015 9:21 am

NebulaJack wrote:I'm sure I've mentioned before how I expect to eventually see a car wreck while working my sign waiving job. Well, the other day, I got kind of close. It wasn't on the job, but on the way, and it wasn't major. As the bus was getting near my stop, a car pulled out of the parking lot of the Goodwill nearby, and in what looked like trying to get right behind the bus so as to shave maybe a second or two of the driver's times, she instead gently hit the bus, moving slowly enough as to do no real damage) and had to wait 15 minutes while a city employee came out to assess the situation.

Maybe it's petty, but I take pleasure in seeing someone have a little impatience backfire in a very small way.

I was stuck in stop/go traffic for over an hour when my commute is typically forty minutes. Two, count em, two accidents between me and my work location. It is stressful to know that you can leave for work extra early one morning and arrive later than you would have if you'd overslept and ran out the door at the last minute.
    NebulaJack
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

Post by NebulaJack Thu Dec 10, 2015 2:55 am

I'm sure I've mentioned before how I expect to eventually see a car wreck while working my sign waiving job. Well, the other day, I got kind of close. It wasn't on the job, but on the way, and it wasn't major. As the bus was getting near my stop, a car pulled out of the parking lot of the Goodwill nearby, and in what looked like trying to get right behind the bus so as to shave maybe a second or two of the driver's times, she instead gently hit the bus, moving slowly enough as to do no real damage) and had to wait 15 minutes while a city employee came out to assess the situation.

Sleverin
    Sleverin
    Here for Keg girls
    Here for Keg girls

Post by Sleverin Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:39 pm

Sounds really nice Patch. I hope you have a good time with the boys Very Happy
    Patch
    Patch

Post by Patch Wed Dec 09, 2015 10:03 am

rkwsuperstar wrote:

That's great.  Father/son only, or tickets for the whole family?

Just the two of us. It was expensive for 2, so I'm kinda happy that my wife is a Bronco fan, and the other two at home don't really get excited about football

Polk,

It's the Jets game. I wanted the Redskin game but it's the day before they go back to school and since the boys are technically still in the hunt, the prices didn't drop at all. I hate to say I was hoping for a loss this week, but it would have helped my wallet if they had.

Now I have to spend more money for a parking pass. I thought about getting a hotel since its a night game but there isn't anything I can piggyback parking on near the stadium. So we will drive over early and make the trek back after it's over.
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:40 am

This is for NebulaJack, since one of his polls was about Christmas tradition.
    https://youtu.be/xJAxRVeKnTE

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 01, 2024 10:23 pm