TR Haunt

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
TR Haunt

Come hangout

+2
Patch
kegs
6 posters

Summer Huzzahs!

James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk
    Achieved rank by cheating

Summer Huzzahs! - Page 4 Empty Re: Summer Huzzahs!

Post by James.k.Polk Wed Aug 26, 2015 7:16 am

so real quick,

what do we think about the news that Topless Robot is working on a reader forum?

Personally I think it's too little, too late. I already find myself not dropping by the site as often. If the first story of the morning doesn't interest me, I might not bother looking for another story to read until I get home at night-- by which time I probably already saw the news elsewhere.

I feel bad for Luke, and I don't know what the actual site stats are, but I just feel like a lot of the regular traffic is drifting away.

Which means a lot of people I liked interacting with are now gone.
    NebulaJack
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

Post by NebulaJack Tue Aug 25, 2015 7:52 pm

Hi guys. Been coming down with a cold over the last few days. On Saturday and Sunday, the air in Eugene was really smokey due to winds bringing smoke from wildfires further away. I don't if that contributed to anything or not, but it really sucked doing the sign waiving outside with the smoggy weather.

On another note, yesterday me and some friends went to the movie theater for a "super secret double feature" (a.k.a. pay for one movie, see it, then sneak into another movie). We saw Mission Impossible 5 and Fant4stic. MI5 was good, and I'm glad that's the one we spent money on, because even having seen it for "free" I still feel that Fant4stic was barely worth it. As bad as I expected it to be, it was still worse than that.
    Patch
    Patch

Post by Patch Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:08 am

How is everyone?

I am swamped at work these days. I am ready to get all this off my plate and slow down a little. Now that schools back in I am itching to get some range time in. I haven't been shooting since Polk and I went.
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:24 pm

Polk, don't we all.
    Except Patch. He draws all the men and women.
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:04 pm

On an unrelated note: I need a haircut.

It's weird because I know the exact moment when my hair became too long for my liking. It was last tuesday in the middle of the night. I woke up (probably to pee, but also because the sleep apnea and the machine *might* be contributing to a middle of the night wake up) and suddenly felt the har ticking the tops of my ears and the nape of my neck.

Things have only gotten worse in the 6 days I have tried to ignore this development.
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:00 pm

I'm embarrassed for myself.

There's a woman who works at the bank. I go there every day to make store deposits and this woman is an appropriate age, is cute and is nice to me.

Today she came to the store to have her phone looked at. She's married, has three kids, and it's obvious to everyone in the Universe that I have an enormous crush on her. Which even if she weren't happily married would mean nothing because I would never make a move.

So tonight I contemplate drinking this strong beer and pretending I don't sometimes wish I had something women might find attractive.
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:09 am

James.k.Polk wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:
    James.k.Polk wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:The bachelorette party is this Saturday.  It is going to suck, and I feel bad about that, but what can you do?  We "had" to plan around the future mother-in-law and sister-in-law, coming in from out of town, and we just found out they are not attending.  Since we only have 6 people, we are going to skip the winery, thank goodness.  But I can't get anyone to confirm anything.  "I need to book the mani/pedi, who is getting what?"  Girl: I'm going.  Me: Great, do you want a pedi or a set of fake nails?  ~no response~

Get extra alcohol for the occasion. Maybe buy some of those grown-up coloring books.  Everybody gets drunk and colors pictures of dicks.  

It's been weird from the start.  We actually had it planned for last weekend.  Then right before the bridal shower a month ago, the bride said that "we" had changed it to the next weekend to accommodate the boys.  By "we", she just meant herself, her mom, and her brother's wife.  The bachelor party is some 2-day guided fishing trip, and the only weekend they could go was last weekend, and because of babies and pets, we had to do ours another weekend.  Which is fine, but why weren't we asked if the weekend would even work for us?  It's the weekend of the Hotter 'n Hell 100 bike race (biggest single day bike race in the nation) so all of the hotels are booked, so there went part of our plan (book a room, swim, watch bride movies).  We don't have enough people to visit one winery without paying extra.  There's a distillery, but they are closed that weekend.  I thought it would be fun to go to Six Flags, but we can't do that because her mom can't be in the heat.  It's just been weird.  I told the bride I hoped she wasn't disappointed.  We literally have nothing planned but pedicures and dinner, and I can't get anyone to confirm times.

You have a thankless job,  and nobody is making it any less of a hell.  Comfort yourself that it will be over soon and you won't have to deal with it any more.

Oh, I can't wait for this to be over. I love her to death, but this is not my thing, and the attitudes I'm encountering make it much less enjoyable.

And we have just under a month to go before the wedding.
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:57 am

rkwsuperstar wrote:
    James.k.Polk wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:The bachelorette party is this Saturday.  It is going to suck, and I feel bad about that, but what can you do?  We "had" to plan around the future mother-in-law and sister-in-law, coming in from out of town, and we just found out they are not attending.  Since we only have 6 people, we are going to skip the winery, thank goodness.  But I can't get anyone to confirm anything.  "I need to book the mani/pedi, who is getting what?"  Girl: I'm going.  Me: Great, do you want a pedi or a set of fake nails?  ~no response~

Get extra alcohol for the occasion. Maybe buy some of those grown-up coloring books.  Everybody gets drunk and colors pictures of dicks.  

It's been weird from the start.  We actually had it planned for last weekend.  Then right before the bridal shower a month ago, the bride said that "we" had changed it to the next weekend to accommodate the boys.  By "we", she just meant herself, her mom, and her brother's wife.  The bachelor party is some 2-day guided fishing trip, and the only weekend they could go was last weekend, and because of babies and pets, we had to do ours another weekend.  Which is fine, but why weren't we asked if the weekend would even work for us?  It's the weekend of the Hotter 'n Hell 100 bike race (biggest single day bike race in the nation) so all of the hotels are booked, so there went part of our plan (book a room, swim, watch bride movies).  We don't have enough people to visit one winery without paying extra.  There's a distillery, but they are closed that weekend.  I thought it would be fun to go to Six Flags, but we can't do that because her mom can't be in the heat.  It's just been weird.  I told the bride I hoped she wasn't disappointed.  We literally have nothing planned but pedicures and dinner, and I can't get anyone to confirm times.

You have a thankless job, and nobody is making it any less of a hell. Comfort yourself that it will be over soon and you won't have to deal with it any more.
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:29 am

James.k.Polk wrote:

It's been weird from the start. We actually had it planned for last weekend. Then right before the bridal shower a month ago, the bride said that "we" had changed it to the next weekend to accommodate the boys. By "we", she just meant herself, her mom, and her brother's wife. The bachelor party is some 2-day guided fishing trip, and the only weekend they could go was last weekend, and because of babies and pets, we had to do ours another weekend. Which is fine, but why weren't we asked if the weekend would even work for us? It's the weekend of the Hotter 'n Hell 100 bike race (biggest single day bike race in the nation) so all of the hotels are booked, so there went part of our plan (book a room, swim, watch bride movies). We don't have enough people to visit one winery without paying extra. There's a distillery, but they are closed that weekend. I thought it would be fun to go to Six Flags, but we can't do that because her mom can't be in the heat. It's just been weird. I told the bride I hoped she wasn't disappointed. We literally have nothing planned but pedicures and dinner, and I can't get anyone to confirm times.
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:55 am

Get extra alcohol for the occasion. Maybe buy some of those grown-up coloring books. Everybody gets drunk and colors pictures of dicks.
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:51 am

The bachelorette party is this Saturday.  It is going to suck, and I feel bad about that, but what can you do?  We "had" to plan around the future mother-in-law and sister-in-law, coming in from out of town, and we just found out they are not attending.  Since we only have 6 people, we are going to skip the winery, thank goodness.  But I can't get anyone to confirm anything.  "I need to book the mani/pedi, who is getting what?"  Girl: I'm going.  Me: Great, do you want a pedi or a set of fake nails?  ~no response~
    kegs
    kegs
    Believes Timely and Gonzo are meant to be together

Post by kegs Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:44 am

NebulaJack wrote:
    kegs wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:Kegs, is it Hot Set?

That's it!!

I saw a bit of it on tv last a while back and have been trying to find it again.  

Well it seems it airs at 3 in the morning. Now I know!

Thanks Rk!

Speaking of Airing in the wee hours of the morning, a week or two back I found out that FX or FXX aired the pilot episode of a Wheel of Time TV series with absolutely zero marketing or fanfare. It's apparently a maneuver for the production company to hold onto the TV/Film rights. I looked it up on Youtube and it's absolutely awful. It's based on the prologue of the book and looks cheap as hell.

Do You Want To Know More?
    NebulaJack
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

Post by NebulaJack Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:44 pm

kegs wrote:

That's it!!

I saw a bit of it on tv last a while back and have been trying to find it again.  

Thanks Rk!

Speaking of Airing in the wee hours of the morning, a week or two back I found out that FX or FXX aired the pilot episode of a Wheel of Time TV series with absolutely zero marketing or fanfare. It's apparently a maneuver for the production company to hold onto the TV/Film rights. I looked it up on Youtube and it's absolutely awful. It's based on the prologue of the book and looks cheap as hell.
    kegs
    kegs

Post by kegs Sat Aug 22, 2015 8:32 pm

That's it!!

Thanks Rk!
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:42 pm

Kegs, is it Hot Set?
    kegs
    kegs

Post by kegs Sat Aug 22, 2015 3:20 pm

NebulaJack wrote:
    kegs wrote:

Hell is other people.

Kegs, there's a short story by Neil Gaiman called Other People that you should read. It takes an interesting look at that concept.

I will hunt it down!

Also, does anyone know the name of the reality show which is almost the same premise as Face-Off but instead of people effects they come up with scenery and set designs?
    NebulaJack
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

Post by NebulaJack Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:47 pm

kegs wrote:

Hell is other people.

Kegs, there's a short story by Neil Gaiman called Other People that you should read. It takes an interesting look at that concept.
    kegs
    kegs

Post by kegs Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:14 pm

rkwsuperstar wrote:
    NebulaJack wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:
    James.k.Polk wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:
    James.k.Polk wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:My idiot coworker is spraying scented Lysol air freshener on her feet.  She loves air freshener and has been told to tone down the spraying, because it's caused coughing fits in people walking by her office.  So...is she spraying it on her feet because she loves the smell of scented lysol?  Or because her feet stink and she mistakenly thinks Lysol will change that?  What is happening?  

A couple of ideas.  She has a psychological thing she's not admitting to.  Perhaps she thinks she can smell her own sweat or something and opts to cover what she *thinks* is an offensive odor.

Maybe she eats a lot of raw veggies and farts a lot.

Maybe she s just a contrarian and wants to do what she wants in spite of someone complaining about it.

I'm betting it's the psych thing.

Well, she forgets a lot of things.  She'll do something or not do something and our boss will say something and she acts like it's brand new information.

I imagine it's psychological, because I think she has some other mental issues, based on how she acts sometimes.  It's just weird to walk in and see something spraying themselves with lysol.

I'm also aware that I probably have a bad tone when I talk about her.  She makes my life difficult, and 40 hours of that every week can wear on you.  But I'm trying to develop a more "whatever" attitude.

If this is the same woman who has things scribbled on pieces of paper that she later can't find when she needs them, I am leaning towards a learning disability. I know that was a theory of yours as well.

She might be highly functional but just marginal IQ.  I knew a girl like that once.  Looked and acted normal.  Ask her any question requiring her to know something and she'd giggle and get embarrassed and let on that she "isn't smart"

She can't spell.  So she'll type something, and the boss will tell her that she spelled something wrong and her response is "well, I have fat fingers."  As if she's The Thing with giant hands.  The boss will say what does having fat fingers have to do with proofreading.

I don't know bout the rest of the stuff, but the lemon scent thing... maybe she really loves that scent, and wants to carry it with her wherever she goes. She definitely seems like the type to not care about inconveniencing others.

She loves the smell of air freshener.  She has 3 different scents in her office.  The day the boss told her to tone down the spraying, she said "oh, I just love the way it smells!"  And I don't think she thinks about inconveniencing others.  She just doesn't think.

Hell is other people.
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Fri Aug 21, 2015 3:59 pm

NebulaJack wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:
    James.k.Polk wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:
    James.k.Polk wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:My idiot coworker is spraying scented Lysol air freshener on her feet.  She loves air freshener and has been told to tone down the spraying, because it's caused coughing fits in people walking by her office.  So...is she spraying it on her feet because she loves the smell of scented lysol?  Or because her feet stink and she mistakenly thinks Lysol will change that?  What is happening?  

A couple of ideas.  She has a psychological thing she's not admitting to.  Perhaps she thinks she can smell her own sweat or something and opts to cover what she *thinks* is an offensive odor.

Maybe she s just a contrarian and wants to do what she wants in spite of someone complaining about it.

Well, she forgets a lot of things.  She'll do something or not do something and our boss will say something and she acts like it's brand new information.

I imagine it's psychological, because I think she has some other mental issues, based on how she acts sometimes.  It's just weird to walk in and see something spraying themselves with lysol.

I'm also aware that I probably have a bad tone when I talk about her.  She makes my life difficult, and 40 hours of that every week can wear on you.  But I'm trying to develop a more "whatever" attitude.

If this is the same woman who has things scribbled on pieces of paper that she later can't find when she needs them, I am leaning towards a learning disability. I know that was a theory of yours as well.

She might be highly functional but just marginal IQ.  I knew a girl like that once.  Looked and acted normal.  Ask her any question requiring her to know something and she'd giggle and get embarrassed and let on that she "isn't smart"

She can't spell.  So she'll type something, and the boss will tell her that she spelled something wrong and her response is "well, I have fat fingers."  As if she's The Thing with giant hands.  The boss will say what does having fat fingers have to do with proofreading.

I don't know bout the rest of the stuff, but the lemon scent thing... maybe she really loves that scent, and wants to carry it with her wherever she goes. She definitely seems like the type to not care about inconveniencing others.

She loves the smell of air freshener. She has 3 different scents in her office. The day the boss told her to tone down the spraying, she said "oh, I just love the way it smells!" And I don't think she thinks about inconveniencing others. She just doesn't think.
    NebulaJack
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

Post by NebulaJack Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:59 pm

rkwsuperstar wrote:
    James.k.Polk wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:
    James.k.Polk wrote:

NebulaJack
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

Post by NebulaJack Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:58 pm

Patch wrote:Happy weekend everyone. Long week for me so I'm ready for a break. I did see Mad Max Fury Road was released early on digital. I watched it again last night. Great movie.

It really is one of the best movies of the year. I'm still shocked that it turned out so well after such a long gap between movies and replacing the lead actor.
    NebulaJack
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

Post by NebulaJack Fri Aug 21, 2015 2:47 pm

Hi guys. Got a new poll up. Two actually, I just forgot to mention the one I put up the other day and no one's responded to it yet.
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:53 pm

Patch wrote:Happy weekend everyone. Long week for me so I'm ready for a break. I did see Mad Max Fury Road was released early on digital. I watched it again last night. Great movie.

Thanks, Patch, happy weekend back at you.
    Patch
    Patch

Post by Patch Fri Aug 21, 2015 1:08 pm

Happy weekend everyone. Long week for me so I'm ready for a break. I did see Mad Max Fury Road was released early on digital. I watched it again last night. Great movie.
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:29 am

James.k.Polk wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:
    James.k.Polk wrote:

She can't spell. So she'll type something, and the boss will tell her that she spelled something wrong and her response is "well, I have fat fingers." As if she's The Thing with giant hands. The boss will say what does having fat fingers have to do with proofreading.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 7:26 am