TR Haunt

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
TR Haunt

Come hangout

+2
Patch
rkwsuperstar
6 posters

Summer blahs.

kegs
    kegs
    Believes Timely and Gonzo are meant to be together

Summer blahs. Empty Re: Summer blahs.

Post by kegs Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:15 pm

James.k.Polk wrote:I think it is time for a new thread.  This one seems to have petered out a bit.

heheh.. smart minds taste the same. Just started a new one. Thread. Not mind.
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk
    Achieved rank by cheating

Post by James.k.Polk Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:07 pm

I think it is time for a new thread. This one seems to have petered out a bit.
    NebulaJack
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

Post by NebulaJack Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:11 pm

Also, there's a new poll up along with one that was posted late last night. So it's kind of a double dose.
    NebulaJack
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

Post by NebulaJack Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:11 pm

Hi guys. I've got a wee bit've running around to do before work, and then it's another hot day in the sun. I've been working extra hours since the suns out longer to beef up my next paycheck. Also, yesterday a kind woman offered me a can of pepsi because of how hot it was outside. While I appreciated the gesture and the drink, I couldn't help but think it strange to offer someone out in the heat a can of something that dehydrates you quicker by making you need to pee.
    theIllustriousDrGonzo
    theIllustriousDrGonzo

Post by theIllustriousDrGonzo Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:42 pm

kegs wrote:
    theIllustriousDrGonzo wrote:Good morning everyone. One more day till the weekend. cheers

Good Morning (althought it's now pre-evening) Dr.G!

Tomorrow I start shopping for materials for my latest creative endevour.  Yay! (if it works) Booo! If it doesn't.

Are you making me a pretty dress??
    NebulaJack
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

Post by NebulaJack Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:07 am

Evenin' guys. I've been preoccupied with lots of stuff lately, and haven't had time to read the haunted stuff. Could someone give me a cliff notes version?

Also, new poll is up and it's the laziest one I've come up with so far. I'm rather proud of how little effort it took, which feels weird.
    kegs
    kegs

Post by kegs Thu Jul 30, 2015 4:53 pm

theIllustriousDrGonzo wrote:Good morning everyone. One more day till the weekend. cheers

Good Morning (althought it's now pre-evening) Dr.G!

Tomorrow I start shopping for materials for my latest creative endevour.  Yay! (if it works) Booo! If it doesn't.
    theIllustriousDrGonzo
    theIllustriousDrGonzo

Post by theIllustriousDrGonzo Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:55 am

Good morning everyone. One more day till the weekend. cheers
    kegs
    kegs

Post by kegs Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:23 am

James.k.Polk wrote:
    James.k.Polk wrote:
    kegs wrote:
    James.k.Polk wrote:One time, when I was in elementary school, my class drew big full-body self-portraits on long sheets of butcher paper.  I don't remember how old I was, but I presume it was fourth grade.  Although it might have been sixth grade.
    I was semi-artistic as a child (you wouldn't know that about me, would you?) and my teacher and classmates all thought my drawing was quite good.  Honestly I don't remember what it looked like-- I bet it was the same kind of crap all fourth graders draw.  
    Side tale. My older brother used to have a paper route.  When the newspapers were delivered to our house, the bundles of newspapers were stacked with a blank newspaper on bottom.  It was so the bottom newspaper would not be damaged by being bundled and tossed onto our porch. I used to claim those papers, unfold them, and draw enormous dinosaur scenes.  We had a set of encyclopedias and I would open them up to the dinosaur entry and draw T-Rexes and Brontosauruses.  I'd draw volcanoes and tree ferns and pteranodons flying over it all.
    Once I tried to copy big old velvet throw depicting a matador fighting a bull.

Back to the story...

So these self-portraits were destined to be used in a student-art exhibit at the local mall. And as part of the project, I was encouraged to use tempera paints to color the drawing.  Fourth grade Polk was aware that his skin wasn't really the color bright pink color you got by mixing the red and white tempera.  So I added brown and some yellow the the pink mix and stirred.  I created a horrible streaky muddy color of puke brown.  It was horrible and I slathered it all over my drawing.  I was embarrassed by it-- it was a failed idea.  My teacher was mortified.  she went so far as to invite anyone "who wasn't happy with how theirs turned out" to remove their work before she submitted it.

It was for an exhibit.  I felt I couldn't take it down because my mom would know the drawings were from my class and would be mad if mine wasn't there in the mall with the others. So I left it.

As someone who has spent many many MANY years in art classes I can tell you from experience that it's amazing the miriad of ways in which one can create that muddy colour of puke brown. Seriously. Like multiple thousands or so.
    And what kind of f'up school exhibits fourth grade kids works at a mall? It's enough pressure just to make anything at that age, let alone something to exhibited. So warped.

But you turned out ok.
    I assume.
    I'm liking the stuff you post on the blog.

Its not a real mall.  It is smaller than a walmart store in a town of about 20,000 people.  The anchor stores were a Montgomery Ward and a Woolworths.  I think the Star pharmacy is still in there.  Many other local stores have quietly passed away

The point of the story, which I somehow forgot to write, is that when my family went to the mall to see the drawings, everybody had a hearty laugh at my expense and I was mortified.

Will the story actually end like this....'Years later as the body count piled up the most puzzling thing for investigators was why were the victims all slathered with a horrible streaky muddy color of puke brown?'
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:31 am

James.k.Polk wrote:
    kegs wrote:
    James.k.Polk wrote:One time, when I was in elementary school, my class drew big full-body self-portraits on long sheets of butcher paper.  I don't remember how old I was, but I presume it was fourth grade.  Although it might have been sixth grade.
    I was semi-artistic as a child (you wouldn't know that about me, would you?) and my teacher and classmates all thought my drawing was quite good.  Honestly I don't remember what it looked like-- I bet it was the same kind of crap all fourth graders draw.  
    Side tale. My older brother used to have a paper route.  When the newspapers were delivered to our house, the bundles of newspapers were stacked with a blank newspaper on bottom.  It was so the bottom newspaper would not be damaged by being bundled and tossed onto our porch. I used to claim those papers, unfold them, and draw enormous dinosaur scenes.  We had a set of encyclopedias and I would open them up to the dinosaur entry and draw T-Rexes and Brontosauruses.  I'd draw volcanoes and tree ferns and pteranodons flying over it all.

Back to the story...

So these self-portraits were destined to be used in a student-art exhibit at the local mall. And as part of the project, I was encouraged to use tempera paints to color the drawing.  Fourth grade Polk was aware that his skin wasn't really the color bright pink color you got by mixing the red and white tempera.  So I added brown and some yellow the the pink mix and stirred.  I created a horrible streaky muddy color of puke brown.  It was horrible and I slathered it all over my drawing.  I was embarrassed by it-- it was a failed idea.  My teacher was mortified.  she went so far as to invite anyone "who wasn't happy with how theirs turned out" to remove their work before she submitted it.

It was for an exhibit.  I felt I couldn't take it down because my mom would know the drawings were from my class and would be mad if mine wasn't there in the mall with the others. So I left it.

As someone who has spent many many MANY years in art classes I can tell you from experience that it's amazing the miriad of ways in which one can create that muddy colour of puke brown. Seriously. Like multiple thousands or so.
    And what kind of f'up school exhibits fourth grade kids works at a mall? It's enough pressure just to make anything at that age, let alone something to exhibited. So warped.

But you turned out ok.
    I assume.

Its not a real mall.  It is smaller than a walmart store in a town of about 20,000 people.  The anchor stores were a Montgomery Ward and a Woolworths.  I think the Star pharmacy is still in there.  Many other local stores have quietly passed away

The point of the story, which I somehow forgot to write, is that when my family went to the mall to see the drawings, everybody had a hearty laugh at my expense and I was mortified.
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:34 pm

kegs wrote:

Back to the story...

But you turned out ok.
    I assume.

Its not a real mall. It is smaller than a walmart store in a town of about 20,000 people. The anchor stores were a Montgomery Ward and a Woolworths. I think the Star pharmacy is still in there. Many other local stores have quietly passed away
    kegs
    kegs

Post by kegs Tue Jul 28, 2015 8:19 pm

Back to the story...

But you turned out ok.
    I assume.
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:57 pm

One time, when I was in elementary school, my class drew big full-body self-portraits on long sheets of butcher paper. I don't remember how old I was, but I presume it was fourth grade. Although it might have been sixth grade.
    I was semi-artistic as a child (you wouldn't know that about me, would you?) and my teacher and classmates all thought my drawing was quite good. Honestly I don't remember what it looked like-- I bet it was the same kind of crap all fourth graders draw.
    Side tale. My older brother used to have a paper route. When the newspapers were delivered to our house, the bundles of newspapers were stacked with a blank newspaper on bottom. It was so the bottom newspaper would not be damaged by being bundled and tossed onto our porch. I used to claim those papers, unfold them, and draw enormous dinosaur scenes. We had a set of encyclopedias and I would open them up to the dinosaur entry and draw T-Rexes and Brontosauruses. I'd draw volcanoes and tree ferns and pteranodons flying over it all.

Back to the story...

So these self-portraits were destined to be used in a student-art exhibit at the local mall. And as part of the project, I was encouraged to use tempera paints to color the drawing. Fourth grade Polk was aware that his skin wasn't really the color bright pink color you got by mixing the red and white tempera. So I added brown and some yellow the the pink mix and stirred. I created a horrible streaky muddy color of puke brown. It was horrible and I slathered it all over my drawing. I was embarrassed by it-- it was a failed idea. My teacher was mortified. she went so far as to invite anyone "who wasn't happy with how theirs turned out" to remove their work before she submitted it.

It was for an exhibit. I felt I couldn't take it down because my mom would know the drawings were from my class and would be mad if mine wasn't there in the mall with the others. So I left it.
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:29 pm

rkwsuperstar wrote:
    kegs wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:Everyone send Polk scented candles and Precious Moments figurines to decorate his apartment with.

I misread that as Promiscuous Moments figurines.

Send him those, too.
    Yes promiscuous moments.

Yes scented candles.

No precious moments anything
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Tue Jul 28, 2015 3:02 pm

kegs wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:Everyone send Polk scented candles and Precious Moments figurines to decorate his apartment with.

Send him those, too.
    kegs
    kegs

Post by kegs Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:24 pm

rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Tue Jul 28, 2015 12:00 am

Well, im not trying to rat anyone out. Besides, i'd be the only suspect. I was just sharing how ridiculous the ehs reviews are. They pretty much HAVE to write us up for something, i just wish they could be less obvious.
    NebulaJack
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

Post by NebulaJack Mon Jul 27, 2015 8:27 pm

rkwsuperstar wrote:The joys of working for the state: we get an environmental health and safety inspection.  The inspection was done by a very young woman with no degree in EHS or any related area.  (Basically, you are hired and they give you some training of things to look for, such as nothing stored within 24" of the ceiling (unless it's in a closet, which I guess somehow prevents fire)).  She wrote us up for having "dangerous electrical outlets with exposed wires."  They were phone jacks.

Doesn't matter.  There is no dispute allowed.  EHS wrote us up for something and regardless of the fact that it was not, in fact, a real thing, we still have to purchase cover boxes to "hide the exposed wires."  Otherwise known as where the phone line plugs into the jack.

Take some pics of the phone jacks and the write up, send 'em to the local news (print and TV) and encourage reader/viewers to call their representatives in state government and complain about their tax dollars getting wasted.

Also, new poll is up.

Also, how's everyone's monday going?
    kegs
    kegs

Post by kegs Mon Jul 27, 2015 5:07 pm

Patch wrote:
    James.k.Polk wrote:

I don't know what deadman rise is.

Like marko polo. Deadman Deadman come alive, Come alive on the count of 5. Then you try not to get tagged.

That sounds suspiciously like some sub-aquatic, necromantic, ritual chant.

Do you want the wrath of evil undead sailors?
    Cause that's how you invoke the wrath of evil undead sailors.
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:50 pm

The joys of working for the state: we get an environmental health and safety inspection. The inspection was done by a very young woman with no degree in EHS or any related area. (Basically, you are hired and they give you some training of things to look for, such as nothing stored within 24" of the ceiling (unless it's in a closet, which I guess somehow prevents fire)). She wrote us up for having "dangerous electrical outlets with exposed wires." They were phone jacks.

Doesn't matter. There is no dispute allowed. EHS wrote us up for something and regardless of the fact that it was not, in fact, a real thing, we still have to purchase cover boxes to "hide the exposed wires." Otherwise known as where the phone line plugs into the jack.
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:14 pm

James.k.Polk wrote:
    theIllustriousDrGonzo wrote:
    James.k.Polk wrote:Gonzo--

My "adventure" for today is driving myself up to the Ikea store to look for a smallish area rug to put down under my chair and desk to cover up the seriously worn and trashy looking apartment carpet.

Also-- looks like Spanglish is the Sunday movie and I got no interest in that shit.

Last week they played Julie/Julia which is a movie about a woman who decides to cook all the dishes in Julia Child's Mastering the Art Of French Cooking and blog about it.  It was decent although there was little drama other than the "I'm getting fat cooking all this" and "You never finish anything you start" and "I'm your husband and although I wanted you to do this I'm now feeling neglected and think I'll pout for a few scenes."

But Meryl Streep very much "became" Julia Child. Her performance was amazing.

that rug really ties the room together.

Well the rug I found is kind of a plum color.  Bought bed sheets to match it.  I thought I could use a little color in my apartment but I'm beginning to worry about my masculinity.

But I was tired of the microfiber sheets.  They seem to hold on to heat and I end up sleeping too hot and running the AC too cold at night.

Everyone send Polk scented candles and Precious Moments figurines to decorate his apartment with.
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Mon Jul 27, 2015 2:12 pm

Patch wrote:Here's my new ride. So far it's awesome.
    Summer blahs. TKUO7bV

Nice
    Patch
    Patch

Post by Patch Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:34 am

Here's my new ride. So far it's awesome.
    Summer blahs. TKUO7bV
    Patch
    Patch

Post by Patch Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:04 am

James.k.Polk wrote:

Like marko polo. Deadman Deadman come alive, Come alive on the count of 5. Then you try not to get tagged.
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Sun Jul 26, 2015 9:46 pm

Patch wrote:My wife is so amazing. She spent a hour playing deadman rise in the pool.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:37 pm