TR Haunt

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
TR Haunt

Come hangout

+2
Patch
Sleverin
6 posters

April fools thread

rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar
    Achieved rank by cheating

April fools thread - Page 6 Empty Re: April fools thread

Post by rkwsuperstar Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:10 pm

James.k.Polk wrote:
    theIllustriousDrGonzo wrote:
    Patch wrote:
    theIllustriousDrGonzo wrote:Good evening/morning everyone. I hope everyone had a good weekend/week. Polk I hope you are feeling better. I am giving you one more day of mourning before I start in on you again. Botcon was pretty awesome. It's sad that it was the last one, but I'm glad I got to go. The rest of the week and my birthday was a bust, but it is what it is.

Glad you had a good time. Did you get any cool stuff? I usually go to cons expecting to buy something cool, then come home with nothing. Maybe because my kids always find something I need to buy them. I did get a Serenity movie poster one year.

I got nothing due to being broke. It was $25 just to get in the door.

Have you ever thought about doing a booth on the con circuit and selling art things you have made?

while i agree he could sell his art, its probably more than $25 to rent a booth
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:57 pm

theIllustriousDrGonzo wrote:
    Patch wrote:
    theIllustriousDrGonzo wrote:Good evening/morning everyone. I hope everyone had a good weekend/week. Polk I hope you are feeling better. I am giving you one more day of mourning before I start in on you again. Botcon was pretty awesome. It's sad that it was the last one, but I'm glad I got to go. The rest of the week and my birthday was a bust, but it is what it is.

Glad you had a good time. Did you get any cool stuff? I usually go to cons expecting to buy something cool, then come home with nothing. Maybe because my kids always find something I need to buy them. I did get a Serenity movie poster one year.

Have you ever thought about doing a booth on the con circuit and selling art things you have made?
    theIllustriousDrGonzo
    theIllustriousDrGonzo
    Believes Timely and Gonzo are meant to be together

Post by theIllustriousDrGonzo Thu Apr 14, 2016 2:52 pm

Patch wrote:

Patch
    Patch

Post by Patch Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:21 am

Patch
    Patch

Post by Patch Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:18 am

James.k.Polk wrote:

Mom was born in 1935 and was 80 years old when she died. She had seven children, something like 16 grandchildren and may 8 or 9 great-grandchildren. She was alive during WWII, the Korean War, Vietnam, the Apollo program, the Kennedy assassinations, the cold war.  She endured more than one  oil oil-bust when the economy in Oklahoma flushed itself.  For most of my life, she was a single mom raising three of us on the wages a local grocer paid cashiers.  We never had much money, but we never were hungry and my mom never asked for help that she didn't think she earned.

Sounds like an amazing woman.
    theIllustriousDrGonzo
    theIllustriousDrGonzo

Post by theIllustriousDrGonzo Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:55 pm

Good evening/morning everyone. I hope everyone had a good weekend/week. Polk I hope you are feeling better. I am giving you one more day of mourning before I start in on you again. Botcon was pretty awesome. It's sad that it was the last one, but I'm glad I got to go. The rest of the week and my birthday was a bust, but it is what it is.
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:43 pm

Patch wrote:How you holding up Polk?

I made it through OK. I did cry, but I held myself together by doing what someone on facebook said they do in meetings and stuff. Pretending I was playing a character in a role-playing game. It allowed me to step a little bit back from the emotion and control it rather than letting it control me.

Also last night I drank beer. If my nephew had been able to stay in Duncan I would have drunk whiskey until I fell down.

Today I drove my little brother from Duncan to his home in Longview and then back to Euless. A lot of miles and two pit stops at Bucc ees.

I'm tired and about to go lie down for a bit.

Mom was born in 1935 and was 80 years old when she died. She had seven children, something like 16 grandchildren and may 8 or 9 great-grandchildren. She was alive during WWII, the Korean War, Vietnam, the Apollo program, the Kennedy assassinations, the cold war. She endured more than one oil oil-bust when the economy in Oklahoma flushed itself. For most of my life, she was a single mom raising three of us on the wages a local grocer paid cashiers. We never had much money, but we never were hungry and my mom never asked for help that she didn't think she earned.

James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:34 pm

Sleverin wrote:Sorry for your loss Polk.  I know you've said you aren't feeling a lot about this right now but I can sense a lot from that picture you put up on Facebook.

The service was very sad for me. The man who officiated the service is the father of a kid I used to play with when I was a kid. He mentioned me by name. He said he knew what kind of woman my mom was because I was always respectful and polite. That even though he knew we had very little, he never saw me dirty or in shabby clothes.

It kind of got to me a bit and yeah I cried. I mean not wailing and sobbing, but I was glad I had grabbed a hand full of tissues. My older brother gave a eulogy, and several of us were worried that he might get lost in it and kind of pull the spotlight off of her life and onto his own but it turned out he did an admirable job and did got through it without breaking down.

I took paper and pencil with me and drew that little picture while I was in my hotel room that night. I guess I'm a little embarrassed by it. My mom did not like attention being drawn to her and I wonder if she would approve of me sharing something so personal on the facebook.

I do appreciate all the good will everyone has given me. Tomorrow I will do a couple of errands and then get back to my job.
    Patch
    Patch

Post by Patch Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:18 pm

How you holding up Polk?
    Sleverin
    Sleverin
    Here for Keg girls
    Here for Keg girls

Post by Sleverin Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:04 pm

Sorry for your loss Polk. I know you've said you aren't feeling a lot about this right now but I can sense a lot from that picture you put up on Facebook.
    Patch
    Patch

Post by Patch Mon Apr 11, 2016 10:18 am

Sorry for your loss Polk. My computer screwed up on Friday so I wasn't able to check the site. Hope you are holding up.
    NebulaJack
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

Post by NebulaJack Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:18 pm

James.k.Polk wrote:Partly because I don't remember ever being super emotional about death.On the other hand I have noticed a tendency to kind of tear up in weird situations.  As I was driving today listening to NPR, someone sang a very lyrical version of Over The Rainbow and I cried a bit.

I have a similar reaction to a loss in the family. It'll often be months later before I finally cry about it.
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:11 pm

James.k.Polk wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:
    James.k.Polk wrote:News Flash-

Gallen knows how to write "Strong Female Characters"  better than the writers of Star Wars.

That is all.

I'm pretty sure Gallen is an expert at all things.  I'm waiting to hear his advice on better animation in tv shows, and how to stop terrorists

Oh he's done the terrorism thing before.  Something about how we don't really want to stop terror attacks because both parties benefit from having an external enemy to distract us all from the blah blah blah blah...

And I'm pretty sure he's done animation too.  His current pony-posturing comes to mind.  I wonder how long he'll keep that crap going.  

as long as people still respond
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:10 pm

James.k.Polk wrote:

I'm sorry that I haven't been on recently

Don't be.  I know you've got a lot going on for your own health.  I trust your recovery is on schedule?  [/quote]

going ok. just over a week, i should get my cast off. i can take my knee immobilizer off more often and exercise the joint, to get swelling down. no weight w/o the brace, though. hopefully will get a hinged walking brace next week. not as tired. my boss still emails me, demanding documents that i don't have because i don't have access to my work computer, so that's getting annoying.
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:08 pm

rkwsuperstar wrote:

Gallen knows how to write "Strong Female Characters"  better than the writers of Star Wars.

That is all.

I'm pretty sure Gallen is an expert at all things.  I'm waiting to hear his advice on better animation in tv shows, and how to stop terrorists

Oh he's done the terrorism thing before. Something about how we don't really want to stop terror attacks because both parties benefit from having an external enemy to distract us all from the blah blah blah blah...

And I'm pretty sure he's done animation too. His current pony-posturing comes to mind. I wonder how long he'll keep that crap going.
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:06 pm

That is all.

I'm pretty sure Gallen is an expert at all things. I'm waiting to hear his advice on better animation in tv shows, and how to stop terrorists
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:05 pm

I'm sorry that I haven't been on recently[/quote]

Don't be. I know you've got a lot going on for your own health. I trust your recovery is on schedule?
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:03 pm

James.k.Polk wrote:Today I bought the shirt I will wear to my mother's funeral service.

I'm meeting my brother from Longview at the train station in Fort Worth around noon tomorrow and we'll drive up to Oklahoma.

My older brother has volunteered us to be pallbearers, which I guess is OK but I worry about my older brother because I cam imagine him being an emotional mess and I cannot imagine being any good at comforting him.  I don't feel any overwhelming sadness.  Partly because I know it was a blessing that she is no longer trapped by a body that betrayed her and a brain that was broken by stroke.  Partly because I don't remember ever being super emotional about death.On the other hand I have noticed a tendency to kind of tear up in weird situations.  As I was driving today listening to NPR, someone sang a very lyrical version of Over The Rainbow and I cried a bit.

My older brother sent me a text and I'm not sure if he was telling me that HE intended to give a eulogy or if he was asking ME to deliver a eulogy.  I didn't answer the text.  I have an idea what I would say if asked, but I'm not sure it's a good idea.

Well anyway, I'm sorry I'm kind of talking to myself, because it doesn't seem like this thread is getting a lot of visits any more.  It's weird because I kind of want people to comfort me for this loss but I also kind of dislike asking for attention.  I guess I know which impulse has won out at the moment.

Anyway.  The batteries in the remote control for my TV have died and I think I should go to Wal-Mart and get new ones.  Later I will make the spaghetti dinner I am accustomed to making on Sunday night's.

I'm sorry that I haven't been on recently
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Sun Apr 10, 2016 6:01 pm

James.k.Polk wrote:Polk's mom passed away overnight at around 3:15 AM.

I'll be taking a few days off work.  But not today.  There is nothing to be done by me today.  As soon as I know the funeral arrangements I will make plans to go to Oklahoma.  It is possible I'll be driving out to Longview to collect my younger brother.

Anyway.  it feels like something I should be letting people know about.

Day before yesterday I started writing a shortish essay about her influence on my life.  I might finish it.  If I do I'll post it here and see if anybody can suggest any edits.

I'm sorry to hear this news. Perhaps there is some consolation in knowing she is no longer suffering.
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:01 pm

Today I bought the shirt I will wear to my mother's funeral service.

I'm meeting my brother from Longview at the train station in Fort Worth around noon tomorrow and we'll drive up to Oklahoma.

My older brother has volunteered us to be pallbearers, which I guess is OK but I worry about my older brother because I cam imagine him being an emotional mess and I cannot imagine being any good at comforting him. I don't feel any overwhelming sadness. Partly because I know it was a blessing that she is no longer trapped by a body that betrayed her and a brain that was broken by stroke. Partly because I don't remember ever being super emotional about death.On the other hand I have noticed a tendency to kind of tear up in weird situations. As I was driving today listening to NPR, someone sang a very lyrical version of Over The Rainbow and I cried a bit.

My older brother sent me a text and I'm not sure if he was telling me that HE intended to give a eulogy or if he was asking ME to deliver a eulogy. I didn't answer the text. I have an idea what I would say if asked, but I'm not sure it's a good idea.

Well anyway, I'm sorry I'm kind of talking to myself, because it doesn't seem like this thread is getting a lot of visits any more. It's weird because I kind of want people to comfort me for this loss but I also kind of dislike asking for attention. I guess I know which impulse has won out at the moment.

Anyway. The batteries in the remote control for my TV have died and I think I should go to Wal-Mart and get new ones. Later I will make the spaghetti dinner I am accustomed to making on Sunday night's.
    NebulaJack
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

Post by NebulaJack Sat Apr 09, 2016 11:19 pm

James.k.Polk wrote:Polk's mom passed away overnight at around 3:15 AM.

I'll be taking a few days off work.  But not today.  There is nothing to be done by me today.  As soon as I know the funeral arrangements I will make plans to go to Oklahoma.  It is possible I'll be driving out to Longview to collect my younger brother.

Anyway.  it feels like something I should be letting people know about.

Day before yesterday I started writing a shortish essay about her influence on my life.  I might finish it.  If I do I'll post it here and see if anybody can suggest any edits.

My condolences on your loss.
    theIllustriousDrGonzo
    theIllustriousDrGonzo

Post by theIllustriousDrGonzo Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:52 am

Sorry to hear that buddy.
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Sat Apr 09, 2016 6:59 am

Polk's mom passed away overnight at around 3:15 AM.

I'll be taking a few days off work. But not today. There is nothing to be done by me today. As soon as I know the funeral arrangements I will make plans to go to Oklahoma. It is possible I'll be driving out to Longview to collect my younger brother.

Anyway. it feels like something I should be letting people know about.

Day before yesterday I started writing a shortish essay about her influence on my life. I might finish it. If I do I'll post it here and see if anybody can suggest any edits.
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Fri Apr 08, 2016 1:10 pm

News Flash-

Gallen knows how to write "Strong Female Characters" better than the writers of Star Wars.

That is all.
    theIllustriousDrGonzo
    theIllustriousDrGonzo

Post by theIllustriousDrGonzo Thu Apr 07, 2016 10:28 am

Patch wrote:
    James.k.Polk wrote:

Since her stroke, she's been living in a nursing home and it seems she contracted a UTI that *might* have developed into sepsis before the caregivers at the nursing home noticed.  She was dehydrated and they pushed a lot of fluids into her.  My older sister has a "take it as it comes" attitude, kind of like me, I guess.

I'm a confirmed stoic.  When my father died it was in similar circumstances.  I didn't get super-emotional about it.  My older brother broke down and cried at the funeral.  I did not.  I honestly wonder if I will feel the loss and want to cry when she goes, or if it will hit me days, weeks or even years later.

I'm a terrible person who worries that I won't cry when my mother dies.

I'm sorry to hear that. That has to be tough on you.  I don't think it makes you terrible if you can't cry. I think it's probably has something to do with when we were raised. The "Men don't cry" "rub some dirt on it" attitude of the 70's and 80's was pretty much the norm when we were kids. I know I have a hard time showing emotion when there is a death in the family. My ex commented on it at my sisters funeral. She didn't understand why I wasn't crying.

I found out yesterday my step father has throat cancer. He's upbeat and confident he can beat it. I hope that's the case. I'm not sure what my mother would do without him. She also had a stoke a few years back. She can get around, but is limited. My step dad does all the cooking, driving and day to day stuff.

I am sorry to hear that Polk. I also know how you feel. My grandmother passed back in 1995. She had a stroke and was hospitalized for about a week before she died. I was 13 years old and did not cry. Recently a family member was going through a box of old family stuff and found her diary. I was flipping through it and all these memories and things I had forgotten came flooding back and later that night I cried my eyes out for a good hour.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue May 07, 2024 8:23 pm