TR Haunt

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
TR Haunt

Come hangout

+3
NebulaJack
Sleverin
kegs
7 posters

Dude, check out my new thread(s)!

rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar
    Achieved rank by cheating

Dude, check out my new thread(s)! - Page 8 Empty Re: Dude, check out my new thread(s)!

Post by rkwsuperstar Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:04 pm

NebulaJack wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:
    James.k.Polk wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:
    Patch wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:Spring Semester starts today.  This is going to be my first semester that I'm not dealing with the stock market in any way.  Organizational Theory and Management of Information Systems.  I'm not sure, but I may not have ANY math this semester, either, which will be nice.  I don't mind math, but some of my quizzes were timed, and some of those math functions can eat up a lot of time.

Congrats. You seem to be eating this stuff up, even when you have to carry your team.

Thank you.  Statistics kicked my tail, but I passed.  That's really all I'm going for-if I can manage a good grade, that's excellent, but I'm not going to kill myself for it.

I had a very basic, introductory statistics class once. I got an A because I came up with the dumbest, but extremely reliable way to d the maths involved using Excel.

Yea, a lot of the math stuff for us can be done in an Excel sheet, or on our financial calculators.  For these classes, I didn't have to be able to show my work and all that, as long as I got the right answer.  Which is great but my problem was remembering which formula for which thing, and which number to put where.  Took a lot of my time.

My current class is kinda the other way. It's cool to use a calculator, but we have to show our work, and sometimes even write down how we arrived at a conclusion so the teacher knows what our process is. It's kind of an overview of practical application of the kinda stuff I learned last term. It's the only math class I can think of that's ever had a final project. I'm going to do one on the numbers involved in movie sequels and see if there's a pattern over time. I.E., does a sequel that come out later than the average gap in time between installments suffer in reduced box office or critical rankings?

Well, my classes aren't math classes so I'm sure that's why. They are all business classes with math functions to find things...some are easy, just sum or subtract, but then others are statistical equations and the like.
    NebulaJack
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

Dude, check out my new thread(s)! - Page 8 Empty Re: Dude, check out my new thread(s)!

Post by NebulaJack Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:53 pm

rkwsuperstar wrote:
    James.k.Polk wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:
    Patch wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:Spring Semester starts today.  This is going to be my first semester that I'm not dealing with the stock market in any way.  Organizational Theory and Management of Information Systems.  I'm not sure, but I may not have ANY math this semester, either, which will be nice.  I don't mind math, but some of my quizzes were timed, and some of those math functions can eat up a lot of time.

Congrats. You seem to be eating this stuff up, even when you have to carry your team.

Thank you.  Statistics kicked my tail, but I passed.  That's really all I'm going for-if I can manage a good grade, that's excellent, but I'm not going to kill myself for it.

I had a very basic, introductory statistics class once. I got an A because I came up with the dumbest, but extremely reliable way to d the maths involved using Excel.

Yea, a lot of the math stuff for us can be done in an Excel sheet, or on our financial calculators.  For these classes, I didn't have to be able to show my work and all that, as long as I got the right answer.  Which is great but my problem was remembering which formula for which thing, and which number to put where.  Took a lot of my time.

My current class is kinda the other way. It's cool to use a calculator, but we have to show our work, and sometimes even write down how we arrived at a conclusion so the teacher knows what our process is. It's kind of an overview of practical application of the kinda stuff I learned last term. It's the only math class I can think of that's ever had a final project. I'm going to do one on the numbers involved in movie sequels and see if there's a pattern over time. I.E., does a sequel that come out later than the average gap in time between installments suffer in reduced box office or critical rankings?

NebulaJack
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

Post by NebulaJack Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:50 pm

rkwsuperstar wrote:Nice to see that Gallen's idiocy is still going strong.  He jumps in today with comments on abortion...I'm not interested in a discussion for/against, but his comments really drive home the fact that the people who shout the loudest have NO IDEA what they are talking about.  "There are more safeguards in place to prevent self-amputation of limbs than obtaining coerced abortions."  I don't even know how to react to that statement.

Oh boy, I kinda wanna go take a look, but it's too early right now (for me anyway, I just woke up).
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:48 pm

James.k.Polk wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:
    Patch wrote:

Yea, a lot of the math stuff for us can be done in an Excel sheet, or on our financial calculators. For these classes, I didn't have to be able to show my work and all that, as long as I got the right answer. Which is great but my problem was remembering which formula for which thing, and which number to put where. Took a lot of my time.
    NebulaJack
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

Post by NebulaJack Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:48 pm

Patch wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:Look at Nebsy's new status.  Nice one, Patch.

I tried to include a little something for everyone.

I'm beaming with pride!
    NebulaJack
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

Post by NebulaJack Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:48 pm

Patch wrote:Another week another opportunity to change something. I have been trying to get over this funk that has been bugging me for a few months. Just a negative, cynical mindset that has been wearing me down. I think I figured out whats attributing to it. I stopped watching the news back in my 20's (with the exception of really big news) I found it depressing, slanted, and the fear mongering tactics, were shameful. My wife turns it on every morning to catch the weather, then is off to the bathroom to put on makeup to start her day. So I have just been starting my day with this negativity for over a year.

So I'm tuning it out, putting on some headphones in the morning and starting my day with a brighter outlook. Hopefully it will help me shake off the funk.

My weekend wasn't great, so I could use a good week.

I did finally see Interstellar. It was pretty good. I liked Inception better. Also last night my son met up with a guy to sell his Xbox One and got handed fake bills. Luckily that was the worst of it. I told him it could have turned ugly, if he had spotted it during the transaction and confronted the guy. Live and learn.

Have you thought about suggesting to your wife that she use the web to look up the weather? The Weather channel and other sites deliver quicker and often more detailed info. It's one of the things I do when I'm waking up for work so I know if I'll need to wear the raincoat (or god help, the fucking overalls) on a shift.

As for your son, if he's not contacted the seller already, you could get ahold of the local cops and see about setting up a sting. The kid could offer something like tablet or a PS4 and ask if the guy wants it, then schedule a meet up with cops waiting. If the dude's spreading counterfeit bills, they'll probably wanna put the kibbosh on that, and your son could take him to small claims court or get the XBone back.
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:16 pm

rkwsuperstar wrote:
    Patch wrote:

James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:15 pm

Patch wrote:Another week another opportunity to change something. I have been trying to get over this funk that has been bugging me for a few months. Just a negative, cynical mindset that has been wearing me down. I think I figured out whats attributing to it. I stopped watching the news back in my 20's (with the exception of really big news) I found it depressing, slanted, and the fear mongering tactics, were shameful. My wife turns it on every morning to catch the weather, then is off to the bathroom to put on makeup to start her day. So I have just been starting my day with this negativity for over a year.

So I'm tuning it out, putting on some headphones in the morning and starting my day with a brighter outlook. Hopefully it will help me shake off the funk.

I did finally see Interstellar. It was pretty good. I liked Inception better. Also last night my son met up with a guy to sell his Xbox One and got handed fake bills. Luckily that was the worst of it. I told him it could have turned ugly, if he had spotted it during the transaction and confronted the guy. Live and learn.

People suck. I don't suppose the fake bills guy gave you any kind of real identification. In any event, I think I'd file a police report and turn over the fake bills. Counterfeiting is a federal crime and I'd like nothing more than to hear that this d-bag is going to a real prison over an X Box.

But the morning news doesn't bother me too much. I get the fox local morning show and those guys seem pretty upbeat. Also they play a guess the birthday game, show shelter pets, have cooking segments, things I enjoy...
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Mon Feb 22, 2016 1:04 pm

Patch wrote:

Thank you. Statistics kicked my tail, but I passed. That's really all I'm going for-if I can manage a good grade, that's excellent, but I'm not going to kill myself for it.
    Patch
    Patch

Post by Patch Mon Feb 22, 2016 12:28 pm

rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:50 am

Spring Semester starts today. This is going to be my first semester that I'm not dealing with the stock market in any way. Organizational Theory and Management of Information Systems. I'm not sure, but I may not have ANY math this semester, either, which will be nice. I don't mind math, but some of my quizzes were timed, and some of those math functions can eat up a lot of time.
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:46 am

Nice to see that Gallen's idiocy is still going strong. He jumps in today with comments on abortion...I'm not interested in a discussion for/against, but his comments really drive home the fact that the people who shout the loudest have NO IDEA what they are talking about. "There are more safeguards in place to prevent self-amputation of limbs than obtaining coerced abortions." I don't even know how to react to that statement.
    Patch
    Patch

Post by Patch Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:35 am

rkwsuperstar wrote:Look at Nebsy's new status.  Nice one, Patch.

I tried to include a little something for everyone.
    Patch
    Patch

Post by Patch Mon Feb 22, 2016 9:34 am

Another week another opportunity to change something. I have been trying to get over this funk that has been bugging me for a few months. Just a negative, cynical mindset that has been wearing me down. I think I figured out whats attributing to it. I stopped watching the news back in my 20's (with the exception of really big news) I found it depressing, slanted, and the fear mongering tactics, were shameful. My wife turns it on every morning to catch the weather, then is off to the bathroom to put on makeup to start her day. So I have just been starting my day with this negativity for over a year.

rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:42 am

Look at Nebsy's new status. Nice one, Patch.
    NebulaJack
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

Post by NebulaJack Mon Feb 22, 2016 2:55 am

James.k.Polk wrote:
    NebulaJack wrote:Hey guys...

Do you ever feel incredibly sad, but you can't cry? Like... overwhelmed by emotion, but no way to start letting them out? Today was a good day. I woke up early, felt good, had a nice shift at work, hung out with a friend, went to a couple'a bars, came home... and I'm deeply sad and I don't know why and trying to cry feels like trying to get a cup of water at a cooler that's run out.

When I'm upset I have a harder time holding back.  Yesterday I was so pissed off at my company's dumbass higher ups that I made a trembling and very angry phone call.  Some personal things building up on me,  then stupid crap from work and I was just done.

I got a young person who is related to the owners that I call when I'm that angry.  By the end of the day,  some things got a little better.

Thanks Polk. That makes me feel better.
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:07 pm

NebulaJack wrote:Hey guys...

Do you ever feel incredibly sad, but you can't cry? Like... overwhelmed by emotion, but no way to start letting them out? Today was a good day. I woke up early, felt good, had a nice shift at work, hung out with a friend, went to a couple'a bars, came home... and I'm deeply sad and I don't know why and trying to cry feels like trying to get a cup of water at a cooler that's run out.

When I'm upset I have a harder time holding back. Yesterday I was so pissed off at my company's dumbass higher ups that I made a trembling and very angry phone call. Some personal things building up on me, then stupid crap from work and I was just done.

I got a young person who is related to the owners that I call when I'm that angry. By the end of the day, some things got a little better.
    NebulaJack
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

Post by NebulaJack Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:15 am

Hey guys...

NebulaJack
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

Post by NebulaJack Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:25 pm

It occurs to me, that I could go buy a bottle of Axe Body spry and a cigarette lighter. I could put the lighter into meltdown mode, set it on the ground next to the can, and record the explosion from a safe distance. Then I could tell her about a short film I made about Axe Murderousness. It'd at least be good for a laugh.

Also, yesterday's poll went up late, and today's poll is up. So you guys basically have a double dose. By the way, what are your thoughts on the "character vs other character" format, especially with specific scenarios? I'm thinking of making it the default approach until I can come up with more stand alone ideas or themes.
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Fri Feb 19, 2016 8:28 am

NebulaJack wrote:The other night I sent out a cluster of intro messages to women on OK Cupid. About a dozen or two.

One of them had as part of her "Message me if" section "If you're not an axe murderer".

I sent her a message asking if she was okay with getting messages from a fan of the movie "So I Married and Axe Murderer." and she'd never heard of the movie, so I suggested that she watch it. She suggested we watch it together, so I offered to meet her at a coffee shop and bring my lap top to watch it on. She suggested that after the coffee meet up, we should go back to her place and watch in on her TV.

Being low in cash flow since Monday night (I spent a good bit've money at a friends birthday party), I set up the date for next week. So naturally, today I ended up with my tax refund hitting the bank.

On the plus side, I got a new haircut, and I've got some time to get used to it before I meet her.

On the minus side, I can't help but wonder if she might be a really clever Axe Murderer luring me to her secret lair.

Love that movie.
    kegs
    kegs
    Believes Timely and Gonzo are meant to be together
    Believes Timely and Gonzo are meant to be together

Post by kegs Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:56 am

NebulaJack wrote:The other night I sent out a cluster of intro messages to women on OK Cupid. About a dozen or two.

One of them had as part of her "Message me if" section "If you're not an axe murderer".

I sent her a message asking if she was okay with getting messages from a fan of the movie "So I Married and Axe Murderer." and she'd never heard of the movie, so I suggested that she watch it. She suggested we watch it together, so I offered to meet her at a coffee shop and bring my lap top to watch it on. She suggested that after the coffee meet up, we should go back to her place and watch in on her TV.

Being low in cash flow since Monday night (I spent a good bit've money at a friends birthday party), I set up the date for next week. So naturally, today I ended up with my tax refund hitting the bank.

On the plus side, I got a new haircut, and I've got some time to get used to it before I meet her.

On the minus side, I can't help but wonder if she might be a really clever Axe Murderer luring me to her secret lair.

Good for you! Be sure to have 911 on your speed dial and all should be well.

Now just show up holding an axe.
    Patch
    Patch

Post by Patch Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:55 am

NebulaJack wrote:

Sounds like either way, one of you will be getting what you want. Hope it's not you in a pit "putting the lotion on the skin."
    NebulaJack
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

Post by NebulaJack Fri Feb 19, 2016 2:55 am

The other night I sent out a cluster of intro messages to women on OK Cupid. About a dozen or two.

rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Thu Feb 18, 2016 3:11 pm

Patch wrote:Hey Supes, I got a free month of Epix offer from Dish. I couldn't claim it online, but when I called they set it right up. Not sure if you already have it or got the same offer, but let me know if you want the number I called.

I like the VOD choice they have now. Last time I got it free they didn't have that. I just watched High Risk. I haven't seen that movie in forever.

Thanks for the offer. I do have EPIX. It's great, well worth the piddly monthly amount they charge if you keep it. I watch EPIX drive-in a lot.
    Patch
    Patch

Post by Patch Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:48 pm

Hey Supes, I got a free month of Epix offer from Dish. I couldn't claim it online, but when I called they set it right up. Not sure if you already have it or got the same offer, but let me know if you want the number I called.

I like the VOD choice they have now. Last time I got it free they didn't have that. I just watched High Risk. I haven't seen that movie in forever.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 2:42 am