TR Haunt

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
TR Haunt

Come hangout

+3
kegs
NebulaJack
Patch
7 posters

Thankful Thanksgiving

rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar
    Achieved rank by cheating

Thankful Thanksgiving - Page 4 Empty Re: Thankful Thanksgiving

Post by rkwsuperstar Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:15 am

NebulaJack wrote:
    James.k.Polk wrote:My turn to work rant.

A person brought in a phone today that had impact damage-- a concentrated area of broken glass. It looked like someone wearing heels had stepped on the phone or someone hit it with a ball peen hammer.

Ordinarily we do not work on such phones.  we help the customer pay the insurance deductible and the replacement phone is sent fedex the next business day.  This phone would not light up.

My sales/tech guy was helping the customer prepare the insurance claim.  In this case it was going to require an affidavit. Sometimes the Ins. company wants the customer to verify their ID...

After he fills out the required paperwork the customer decides she doesn't want to pay the deductible.  Against policy, the rep decides to take the phone apart to see if he can get it to power on.  Maybe a connector is loose, who knows?  He has the phone taken apart before I catch wind of what is going on.  I chastise the guy because I know that trying to help a customer in this situation is not in our best interest.  I inform him that this customer is guaranteed to try to punish him for having tried to help.

He puts the phone back together and  miraculously enough, it powers on and works.  he's delighted and takes the phone out to the floor to return it to the customer.

At this point the husband is also in the store.  He is now loudly complaining about this process.  My rep asks me to intercede because the husband is asking for a manager.

I ask what's wrong.  his complaint as far as I can tell, is that the repair took xxxx amount of time, and that we shouldn't have filled out the insurance paperwork and THEN tried to repair.

I tell him my rep was trying to go over and above to help his wife and I don't understand why he is upset.

He says he is not upset, but that we were wrong to do what we did before doing the other thing we did.

I explain that physical damage requires the insurance claim and that my rep was actually doing well beyond what he needed to do to help.  The phone, in fact, now works.  What's the problem again?

Blah blah blah and now the customer is mad at me for my "attitude".  I sweetly apologize and wash my hands of these assholes.  

I hope their phones catch fire in their pockets.

It does. not. pay. to deliver extra service.

That's probably the 2nd best thing about working the sign waiving job, I barely have to deal with people at all. When I do, it's mostly A) People asking for directions or B) People offering commiseration for me having to put up with crappy weather. In summer, this sometimes comes in the form of offering me a cold drink, in winter I'll sometimes get offered a coffee.

I love that my current job has very little customer service, beyond helping employees. we do get some people in off the streets, and they are usually farmers who show up with a box of something and think we are going to test them or whatever for free, or people coming in to fill out job applications and are disappointed to find out that it's all done online, but it's rare. And I sometimes have to answer the phones which I hate (I think it's some sort of trauma related to working at the call center).
    NebulaJack
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

Post by NebulaJack Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:17 pm

James.k.Polk wrote:My turn to work rant.

A person brought in a phone today that had impact damage-- a concentrated area of broken glass. It looked like someone wearing heels had stepped on the phone or someone hit it with a ball peen hammer.

Ordinarily we do not work on such phones.  we help the customer pay the insurance deductible and the replacement phone is sent fedex the next business day.  This phone would not light up.

My sales/tech guy was helping the customer prepare the insurance claim.  In this case it was going to require an affidavit. Sometimes the Ins. company wants the customer to verify their ID...

After he fills out the required paperwork the customer decides she doesn't want to pay the deductible.  Against policy, the rep decides to take the phone apart to see if he can get it to power on.  Maybe a connector is loose, who knows?  He has the phone taken apart before I catch wind of what is going on.  I chastise the guy because I know that trying to help a customer in this situation is not in our best interest.  I inform him that this customer is guaranteed to try to punish him for having tried to help.

He puts the phone back together and  miraculously enough, it powers on and works.  he's delighted and takes the phone out to the floor to return it to the customer.

At this point the husband is also in the store.  He is now loudly complaining about this process.  My rep asks me to intercede because the husband is asking for a manager.

I ask what's wrong.  his complaint as far as I can tell, is that the repair took xxxx amount of time, and that we shouldn't have filled out the insurance paperwork and THEN tried to repair.

I tell him my rep was trying to go over and above to help his wife and I don't understand why he is upset.

He says he is not upset, but that we were wrong to do what we did before doing the other thing we did.

I explain that physical damage requires the insurance claim and that my rep was actually doing well beyond what he needed to do to help.  The phone, in fact, now works.  What's the problem again?

Blah blah blah and now the customer is mad at me for my "attitude".  I sweetly apologize and wash my hands of these assholes.  

That's probably the 2nd best thing about working the sign waiving job, I barely have to deal with people at all. When I do, it's mostly A) People asking for directions or B) People offering commiseration for me having to put up with crappy weather. In summer, this sometimes comes in the form of offering me a cold drink, in winter I'll sometimes get offered a coffee.
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:01 pm

NebulaJack wrote:Arkay, thanks for filling in. I did think of a couple of good ideas, but I can use 'em tomorrow and next week.

On a brighter note, I had a pleasant surprise today. Awhile back, my sister in law in NYC told me to ask her for help anytime I need some simple household stuff and can't afford it, like cleaning supplies or what not. So, every few months, I'll send her some links on Amazon for bulk amounts of toilet paper, paper towels and a 5lb bag of coffee beans.

I did that at the beginning of this month. Later that week, she sent me a text saying the paper towels had shown up at her address, and wanted to know if anything had shown up here. Nothing had. So she wired me 100 bucks and told me to get what I needed. I ordered some stuff, including a 5lb bag of coffee. The stuff arrived in a timely fashion and that was that... until this morning when there was a knock at the door and a box was waiting for me. Turned out to be the bag of coffee that she ordered at the beginning of the month! So, for the foreseeable future, I am very good on coffee.

It's the little things that make life grand.

I found a good deal on coffee at the Kroger.

They had the 12 ounce package of Community Coffee for $4.00. I bought three containers so we would have plenty of better-than-folgers coffee for the store.
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:59 pm

My turn to work rant.

Ordinarily we do not work on such phones. we help the customer pay the insurance deductible and the replacement phone is sent fedex the next business day. This phone would not light up.

My sales/tech guy was helping the customer prepare the insurance claim. In this case it was going to require an affidavit. Sometimes the Ins. company wants the customer to verify their ID...

After he fills out the required paperwork the customer decides she doesn't want to pay the deductible. Against policy, the rep decides to take the phone apart to see if he can get it to power on. Maybe a connector is loose, who knows? He has the phone taken apart before I catch wind of what is going on. I chastise the guy because I know that trying to help a customer in this situation is not in our best interest. I inform him that this customer is guaranteed to try to punish him for having tried to help.

He puts the phone back together and miraculously enough, it powers on and works. he's delighted and takes the phone out to the floor to return it to the customer.

At this point the husband is also in the store. He is now loudly complaining about this process. My rep asks me to intercede because the husband is asking for a manager.

I ask what's wrong. his complaint as far as I can tell, is that the repair took xxxx amount of time, and that we shouldn't have filled out the insurance paperwork and THEN tried to repair.

I explain that physical damage requires the insurance claim and that my rep was actually doing well beyond what he needed to do to help. The phone, in fact, now works. What's the problem again?

Blah blah blah and now the customer is mad at me for my "attitude". I sweetly apologize and wash my hands of these assholes.

NebulaJack
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

Post by NebulaJack Thu Nov 19, 2015 9:48 pm

Arkay, thanks for filling in. I did think of a couple of good ideas, but I can use 'em tomorrow and next week.

On a brighter note, I had a pleasant surprise today. Awhile back, my sister in law in NYC told me to ask her for help anytime I need some simple household stuff and can't afford it, like cleaning supplies or what not. So, every few months, I'll send her some links on Amazon for bulk amounts of toilet paper, paper towels and a 5lb bag of coffee beans.

I did that at the beginning of this month. Later that week, she sent me a text saying the paper towels had shown up at her address, and wanted to know if anything had shown up here. Nothing had. So she wired me 100 bucks and told me to get what I needed. I ordered some stuff, including a 5lb bag of coffee. The stuff arrived in a timely fashion and that was that... until this morning when there was a knock at the door and a box was waiting for me. Turned out to be the bag of coffee that she ordered at the beginning of the month! So, for the foreseeable future, I am very good on coffee.

It's the little things that make life grand.
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:41 pm

James.k.Polk wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:NJack, I know you were having a time coming up with poll questions, so I hi-jacked today.

You and I are so opposites. You like cookies, I like pie...

I am generally the opposite of anyone, because I like about 13 things.
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Thu Nov 19, 2015 4:38 pm

rkwsuperstar wrote:NJack, I know you were having a time coming up with poll questions, so I hi-jacked today.

You and I are so opposites. You like cookies, I like pie...
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:49 am

NJack, I know you were having a time coming up with poll questions, so I hi-jacked today.
    NebulaJack
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

Post by NebulaJack Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:57 pm

Patch wrote:How is everyone? Things have been busy here. I'll be ready for a break next week. Most of my crews are off all week, so it should be slow until T-day

Doin' alright. Today will be my first day back at work since my boss got fired, so I'm not 100% sure if anything'll feel different or not. Got a decent sized batch'a homework to do when I get home, but I won't have anything mandatory over the weekend, just studying for the 3rd exam. So far, I'm pulling a B in the class.

On a really great note, I got an auto-voice call from the public library yesterday about a hold coming in. I checked after school, and it was a DVD of Only Lovers Left Alive, which I saw at the local indie theater last year, and loved so much I won't even download an illegal copy because I want to watch it properly. I've been raving about it to my friends, and now I can finally show them.

Also, new poll is up, I'm kind of running out've steam on Thanksgiving related stuff, so any ideas would be helpful.
    NebulaJack
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

Post by NebulaJack Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:50 pm

Patch wrote:Lyle was hunting geese in the Northern Minnesota woods.  He leaned his old 16 gauge against the corner of the blind to take a leak
    As luck would have it, his Labrador dog Ginger knocked the gun over, it went off, and Lyle took most of an ounce of #4 shot into the groin.

Several hours later, lying in a Duluth hospital bed, he came to and there was his ER doctor, Sven.

"Vell Lyle, I got some good noos and some bad noos.  Da good noos is dat you’re going to be OK.  Da damage vas local to your groin, dere was very little internal bleeding, and I vas able to remove all da buckshot.

"What's the bad news?", asks Lyle.

"The bad noos is dat dere vas some pretty extensive buckshot damage done to your pecker.  I'm going to have to refer you to my sister, Lena.

"Well, I guess that isn't too bad," says Lyle. "Is your sister a plastic surgeon?"

"Not exactly," Sven says. "She's a flute player in da Minneapolis Symphony Orchestra. She's going to teach you where to put your fingers so you don't piss in your eye."

Holy shit! At first, I thought you were talking 'bout one've yer kids, or a friend or somethin'. So when I read the bit about the dude getting shot in the crotch I was all "DAAAAMN!", then I realized it was a joke and had a good and hearty laugh.
    NebulaJack
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

Post by NebulaJack Wed Nov 18, 2015 2:45 pm

rkwsuperstar wrote:One of our professors is hiring for 2 positions (both of his staff are leaving, one to go back to school for a Ph.D., and the other took another position on another research project here).  He asked me to get a quote for running the 2 ads in the classified section of the Supesville paper and the paper in Wichita Falls.  I do.  The WF paper quoted them at $485 each.  The Supesville paper quoted them at $36.00 apiece.  I can't believe what a huge discrepancy this is.  

That's a discrepancy that would have made sense 15 to 20 years ago. A big city paper vs a small town paper would have a higher enough circulation to justify that bigger price. Here in 20 mutherfuckin' 15 though, that's literally ridiculous, as in "worthy of ridicule". The days of newspapers having enough circulation to command anything north of 2 digits to the left of the decimal point for a classified add are pretty much gone. Maybe a paper outta NYC or LA might have enough circulation (emphasis on might), but the majority of papers across the US are a dying breed that simply are not worth that money, especially when cheaper/free alternative abound online.
    Patch
    Patch

Post by Patch Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:01 pm

Lyle was hunting geese in the Northern Minnesota woods. He leaned his old 16 gauge against the corner of the blind to take a leak
    As luck would have it, his Labrador dog Ginger knocked the gun over, it went off, and Lyle took most of an ounce of #4 shot into the groin.

Several hours later, lying in a Duluth hospital bed, he came to and there was his ER doctor, Sven.

"Vell Lyle, I got some good noos and some bad noos. Da good noos is dat you’re going to be OK. Da damage vas local to your groin, dere was very little internal bleeding, and I vas able to remove all da buckshot.

"What's the bad news?", asks Lyle.

"The bad noos is dat dere vas some pretty extensive buckshot damage done to your pecker. I'm going to have to refer you to my sister, Lena.

"Well, I guess that isn't too bad," says Lyle. "Is your sister a plastic surgeon?"

"Not exactly," Sven says. "She's a flute player in da Minneapolis Symphony Orchestra. She's going to teach you where to put your fingers so you don't piss in your eye."
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:32 am

One of our professors is hiring for 2 positions (both of his staff are leaving, one to go back to school for a Ph.D., and the other took another position on another research project here). He asked me to get a quote for running the 2 ads in the classified section of the Supesville paper and the paper in Wichita Falls. I do. The WF paper quoted them at $485 each. The Supesville paper quoted them at $36.00 apiece. I can't believe what a huge discrepancy this is.
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:18 am

rkwsuperstar wrote:
    James.k.Polk wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:
    James.k.Polk wrote:Arkay,

I was wondering if you have caught the show " undateable " since they went to the live performance format. I mean, it was stupid before, but they've taken it yo a whole new level.

For example, the actors break character, acknowledge that there's an audience, even actively solicit audience participation in repeating a catch phrase.

I swear it makes last season look Shakespearean.

No, I haven't watched this season.  It sounds like I made the right choice.

I only watched because the only thing you could do on WIFI for free on the plane was watch television episodes.  

Last week's episode had Sarah Chalke(?) who played Blonde Doctor on Scrubs. She's wearing her Scrubs wardrobe in the Undateable bar.  The undateables are looking at her on the closed circuit TV and they think they've got her show instead of a live feed.

Someone approaches her and asks why she's dressed as Scrubs.  She says something like "when this show gets to 11 seasons, you guys can wear whatever you want!"

Gag

Gag is a good word for it.

Typically I work late enough on Friday nights that I don't have to worry about accidentally tuning in to that dreck.
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:13 am

Patch wrote:How is everyone? Things have been busy here. I'll be ready for a break next week. Most of my crews are off all week, so it should be slow until T-day

I'm slowly getting over the cold I caught the day before the flight to Las Vegas.

Cell phone mine has been busy, but I have ten sales reps now, so I have little to do except sit and watch them do the things.
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:59 am

James.k.Polk wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:

I was wondering if you have caught the show " undateable " since they went to the live performance format. I mean, it was stupid before, but they've taken it yo a whole new level.

For example, the actors break character, acknowledge that there's an audience, even actively solicit audience participation in repeating a catch phrase.

I only watched because the only thing you could do on WIFI for free on the plane was watch television episodes.  

Last week's episode had Sarah Chalke(?) who played Blonde Doctor on Scrubs. She's wearing her Scrubs wardrobe in the Undateable bar.  The undateables are looking at her on the closed circuit TV and they think they've got her show instead of a live feed.

Someone approaches her and asks why she's dressed as Scrubs.  She says something like "when this show gets to 11 seasons, you guys can wear whatever you want!"

Gag
    Patch
    Patch

Post by Patch Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:12 am

How is everyone? Things have been busy here. I'll be ready for a break next week. Most of my crews are off all week, so it should be slow until T-day
    NebulaJack
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

Post by NebulaJack Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:30 pm

Today's poll is up later than usual. Had to do some left over homework from yesternight then head out the door to school.

Also, I got ahold of the new boss yesterday to sort out my schedule. Looks like things'll continue as they had been going.
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:22 pm

rkwsuperstar wrote:

rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:53 pm

No, I haven't watched this season. It sounds like I made the right choice.
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Tue Nov 17, 2015 8:31 am

Arkay,

NebulaJack
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

Post by NebulaJack Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:21 pm

So it's my one day off of the week today, that is, the only day I don't have to be at school or work. I slept in late, woke up feeling good. Then I got a facebook message from the friend who got me hired at the pizza factory that our boss has been fired, one of the other managers has been promoted in his place, and that there's a potentially different schedule this week.

I don't know what this means for me, being one of the sign waiving guys, but one of the nice things that I hope doesn't go away, is that when I wanted extra hours, there wasn't much that needed to be done. I'd ask Gabe, and the answer was almost always yes, because the hours for sign waiving are counted separately from the hours for working in the store. There's only one other guy (the one who got me hired) that does sign shifts, so between the two of us, I don't think we've ever used up all the available hours in a week. I really hope that this doesn't change any time soon.

So, how're you guys doing today?

Also, new poll. Going back to the typical style this week.
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Mon Nov 16, 2015 12:49 pm

Patch wrote:Morning everyone. How was the trip Polk?

I'm was fun. I caught a cold Sunday before we left for Vegas. I sneezed and coughed the whole time I was there. I had the room at the Venetian all to myself, because my roommate never showed up. That was nice.

The meetings were short. The alcohol generously dispensed. I rode an uber for the first time.

I play d slot machines and generally won in most cases, but the dry air and my sinuses meant I felt puny.

I'll try to give details later.
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:01 am

Patch wrote:Morning everyone. How was the trip Polk?

Hey
    Patch
    Patch

Post by Patch Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:41 am

Morning everyone. How was the trip Polk?

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 4:17 am