TR Haunt

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
TR Haunt

Come hangout

+2
James.k.Polk
Patch
6 posters

Polk's Birthday bash Thread

rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar
    Achieved rank by cheating

Polk's Birthday bash Thread - Page 7 Empty Re: Polk's Birthday bash Thread

Post by rkwsuperstar Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:18 pm

James.k.Polk wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:We found out late yesterday that the husband of my former coworker (the lady who retired, which caused the hiring of the ex Lazy Coworker and the current Dim Coworker) passed away.  I'm not sure what happened exactly, but a few weeks ago he wasn't feeling well, had trouble breathing.  The hospital here couldn't figure it out and referred him to WF.  After a week of testing there, they determined that he didn't have any cancer, but didn't know anything else, and referred to a hospital in Dallas.  That hospital put him in a medically induced coma, ran multitudes of tests, put him on a breathing machine to help him get full breaths of air.  Then his kidneys started failing.  Then they took him out of the coma, only he never woke up.  They made the decision to stop the dialysis and stop the breathing machines (it wasn't life support, just oxygen).  I say all that to say that things can happen at any time that can't be fixed, so don't wait around to do things (Polk, go see Penn and Teller!).  

I wonder if it was West Nile virus.  The virulent form can kill people especially older folks with weaker immune systems. I'm planning on really seeing things at Vegas next month.  Then we'll see if iI want to do a concert inDallas.

My real dream is to fly to new York for the new year eve tmbg concert in Brooklyn. l

The last thing anyone else had heard, they were thinking it was pneumonia of some kind...not straight up pneumonia, but some form of it
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:00 pm

Also I got a late lunch today. Saw in my email that I can treat my boss to free queso at On The Border. Well, I'm the boss so I'm treating myself.
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:55 pm

rkwsuperstar wrote:We found out late yesterday that the husband of my former coworker (the lady who retired, which caused the hiring of the ex Lazy Coworker and the current Dim Coworker) passed away.  I'm not sure what happened exactly, but a few weeks ago he wasn't feeling well, had trouble breathing.  The hospital here couldn't figure it out and referred him to WF.  After a week of testing there, they determined that he didn't have any cancer, but didn't know anything else, and referred to a hospital in Dallas.  That hospital put him in a medically induced coma, ran multitudes of tests, put him on a breathing machine to help him get full breaths of air.  Then his kidneys started failing.  Then they took him out of the coma, only he never woke up.  They made the decision to stop the dialysis and stop the breathing machines (it wasn't life support, just oxygen).  I say all that to say that things can happen at any time that can't be fixed, so don't wait around to do things (Polk, go see Penn and Teller!).  

I wonder if it was West Nile virus. The virulent form can kill people especially older folks with weaker immune systems. I'm planning on really seeing things at Vegas next month. Then we'll see if iI want to do a concert inDallas.

My real dream is to fly to new York for the new year eve tmbg concert in Brooklyn. l
    NebulaJack
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

Post by NebulaJack Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:36 pm

I'm off to work, it'll be another one of those unexpectedly warm days (for mid-october anyway) so hopefully that won't make my cold any worse.

Also new Poll is up.
    NebulaJack
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

Post by NebulaJack Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:35 pm

James.k.Polk wrote:

Here's a thing.  I don't want to be "that guy" who asks his friends to choose sides when he and his spouse get a divorce.  If you like the site, please continue to visit it.  Don't deprive yourself of something because of a sense of loyalty.

It's not just about being loyal to a friend. It's the principle of the thing. Even if Luke had acted that way to one of the long time readers that I don't like (such as Jagnar or Gallen) it'd turn me off to the site. Also, I don't really like the site anymore. It hasn't been that much fun to visit. This incident just serves as a final straw.
    Patch
    Patch

Post by Patch Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:16 pm

Sorry to hear that. We had something like that last week. A teacher that worked with my wife, retired and went to work at Wal-mart in sporting goods. I would stop by and talk guns with him once in a while. Then for a couple of weeks I noticed he wasn't working. Found out last week he had passed away.

At the end you will have memories and regrets. Make sure you have more memories.
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:40 pm

We found out late yesterday that the husband of my former coworker (the lady who retired, which caused the hiring of the ex Lazy Coworker and the current Dim Coworker) passed away. I'm not sure what happened exactly, but a few weeks ago he wasn't feeling well, had trouble breathing. The hospital here couldn't figure it out and referred him to WF. After a week of testing there, they determined that he didn't have any cancer, but didn't know anything else, and referred to a hospital in Dallas. That hospital put him in a medically induced coma, ran multitudes of tests, put him on a breathing machine to help him get full breaths of air. Then his kidneys started failing. Then they took him out of the coma, only he never woke up. They made the decision to stop the dialysis and stop the breathing machines (it wasn't life support, just oxygen). I say all that to say that things can happen at any time that can't be fixed, so don't wait around to do things (Polk, go see Penn and Teller!).
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:47 am

Patch wrote:
    James.k.Polk wrote:

Note to self: no bloody hearts for Arkay.

Note to Polk: Send booty hearts instead.

Polk's Birthday bash Thread - Page 7 EgwceKa

Acceptable.
    Patch
    Patch

Post by Patch Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:45 am

James.k.Polk wrote:

Note to Polk: Send booty hearts instead.

Polk's Birthday bash Thread - Page 7 EgwceKa
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:38 am

rkwsuperstar wrote:
    Patch wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:
    Oh, I know all about the fixation.  It was funny at first, but then he started getting mad when Gonzo or Stormy would post something similar to what he posted in regards to me.  Then we made our secret clubhouse for that short period, he got really mad and quit "talking" to me.  Which is fine, a relief, but, man.  Dude is weird.

I found his infatuation with you very enjoyable. I had many a laugh at him trying to impress you, then protect you, then virtual date you. It was the same with his falling out with Polk. Funny stuff.

So for that thank you both

Hey, as long as I'm not getting bloody hearts in the mail, I'm good.

James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:37 am

Patch wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:
    Oh, I know all about the fixation.  It was funny at first, but then he started getting mad when Gonzo or Stormy would post something similar to what he posted in regards to me.  Then we made our secret clubhouse for that short period, he got really mad and quit "talking" to me.  Which is fine, a relief, but, man.  Dude is weird.

I found his infatuation with you very enjoyable. I had many a laugh at him trying to impress you, then protect you, then virtual date you. It was the same with his falling out with Polk. Funny stuff.

It might have been funny from an outside perspective. But it felt like losing a friend at the time. I had forgotten about his attempts at virtual movie nights with Arkay, which he got interested in doing only after seeing her doing the live snark thing with me.

I began to question everything he said. I doubt he was ever in the Navy. But iI dothink he probably remembers being in the Navy. And those "novels" he wrote were unreadable.
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:20 am

Patch wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:

Hey, as long as I'm not getting bloody hearts in the mail, I'm good.
    Patch
    Patch

Post by Patch Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:19 am

rkwsuperstar wrote:

rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:35 am

[/quote]

I will still go check out the site.  But it's no longer something fun, something I look forward to doing.  Before, even if it was something I wasn't into, I'd be still read it and enjoy some jokes and then look forward to the comments.  Now, if there are comments, it's someone I don't know making a statement I don't understand, or Gallen.  Making a statement I don't understand.[/quote]

You aren't meant to "understand"  Gallen's bullshit.  You're supposed to take his word for it that he's smarter and more insightful than you.

I swear to god if I ever have to read him talking about how a super hero movie was crap because real physic means that blah blah would have chopped the hero's head off and Interstellar was a big intentional Fuck You to the theory of evolution and real warp drives wouldn't work that way...  Oh my god.

Another thing.  He'll pick a person and fixate.  Pretend to be interested in the same stuff.  But it's all bullshit.  He used to act like he was also a tmbg fan.  But after our little falling out he never once mentioned the band again.  He latched on to Citrus King and was suddenly the biggest my little pony fan.

I hate that guy. [/quote]

Oh, I know all about the fixation. It was funny at first, but then he started getting mad when Gonzo or Stormy would post something similar to what he posted in regards to me. Then we made our secret clubhouse for that short period, he got really mad and quit "talking" to me. Which is fine, a relief, but, man. Dude is weird.
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:29 am

rkwsuperstar wrote:
    Patch wrote:
    It was a fun site now it's just another geeky news site. I found most of the same stories on different sites yesterday, so I get him trying to be different by offering stuff he's not seeing there. If it appeals to more people than it doesn't, I guess its his call to make. I really don't see that being the case. I looked up 3 wrestling post. One had 5 comments, the other 2 had 0. Shocked

I usually read the Questions post, movie reviews, comic day and morning lists. I don't see the question's post lasting much longer. There are less and less questions each week since the change over to FB. Gallen, Polk and I were probably the biggest contributors. Polk's out, my only option is to email questions now, so I don't see that happening. I think it will dry up and go away.

Even though the FB damage wasn't on Luke, the rest of it does fall on him. He doesn't seem concerned with keeping loyal readers. So it's hard to give two shits about supporting the site.

I'll still try to read the comic book day and Robotic Monthly, to support those writers, but I doubt reading and not commenting will do much for either of them.

I will still go check out the site.  But it's no longer something fun, something I look forward to doing.  Before, even if it was something I wasn't into, I'd be still read it and enjoy some jokes and then look forward to the comments.  Now, if there are comments, it's someone I don't know making a statement I don't understand, or Gallen.  Making a statement I don't understand.

You aren't meant to "understand" Gallen's bullshit. You're supposed to take his word for it that he's smarter and more insightful than you.

I swear to god if I ever have to read him talking about how a super hero movie was crap because real physic means that blah blah would have chopped the hero's head off and Interstellar was a big intentional Fuck You to the theory of evolution and real warp drives wouldn't work that way... Oh my god.

Another thing. He'll pick a person and fixate. Pretend to be interested in the same stuff. But it's all bullshit. He used to act like he was also a tmbg fan. But after our little falling out he never once mentioned the band again. He latched on to Citrus King and was suddenly the biggest my little pony fan.

I hate that guy.
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:27 am

Patch wrote:
    NebulaJack wrote:
    we did stuff like the secret santa thing.

But hey, at least we still got each other!

1. I never got my secret santa.  Really no big deal. Not sure who drew my name, and it was still a lot of fun.

2. Hell yeah we do!

I enjoyed the secret santa. Same for me, it was more about buying some stuff for someone I considered a friend and less about what was coming to me. In my case, Sly drew my name, so I didn't have any issues with either getting something, or getting something I enjoyed. But I don't think everyone that agreed to participate was actually interested in fully participating.
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Fri Oct 16, 2015 10:19 am

Patch wrote:
    It was a fun site now it's just another geeky news site. I found most of the same stories on different sites yesterday, so I get him trying to be different by offering stuff he's not seeing there. If it appeals to more people than it doesn't, I guess its his call to make. I really don't see that being the case. I looked up 3 wrestling post. One had 5 comments, the other 2 had 0. Shocked

I usually read the Questions post, movie reviews, comic day and morning lists. I don't see the question's post lasting much longer. There are less and less questions each week since the change over to FB. Gallen, Polk and I were probably the biggest contributors. Polk's out, my only option is to email questions now, so I don't see that happening. I think it will dry up and go away.

Even though the FB damage wasn't on Luke, the rest of it does fall on him. He doesn't seem concerned with keeping loyal readers. So it's hard to give two shits about supporting the site.

I'll still try to read the comic book day and Robotic Monthly, to support those writers, but I doubt reading and not commenting will do much for either of them.

I will still go check out the site. But it's no longer something fun, something I look forward to doing. Before, even if it was something I wasn't into, I'd be still read it and enjoy some jokes and then look forward to the comments. Now, if there are comments, it's someone I don't know making a statement I don't understand, or Gallen. Making a statement I don't understand.
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Fri Oct 16, 2015 9:08 am

Patch wrote:
    NebulaJack wrote:

1. I never got my secret santa.  Really no big deal. Not sure who drew my name, and it was still a lot of fun.

2. Hell yeah we do!

The secret Santa thing didn't work too well for me either. I really enjoyed overspending on my gift, but the person who got my name lives in Germany and by the time has gift got to me it was late January and I was so "over it" that iI scarcely even looked at it. It hurt his feelings becauseone of the DVD in the envelope apparently had some original digital art of James K Polk that iI never even opened and looked at. I'm a little ashamed of that.
    Patch
    Patch

Post by Patch Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:47 am

NebulaJack wrote:

1. I never got my secret santa. Really no big deal. Not sure who drew my name, and it was still a lot of fun.

2. Hell yeah we do!
    Patch
    Patch

Post by Patch Fri Oct 16, 2015 8:20 am

James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:58 am

NebulaJack wrote:
    James.k.Polk wrote:
    Patch wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:
    But his attitude lately...I'm sure he is under some pressure.    But that's no reason to snap at a long-time reader of the site who disagrees with the direction the site has been moving.

Yeah his response today to Polk was out of line. He gets paid to do this. The readers are his customers. Sure he has banned some folks for being dicks, but Polk was just expressing his frustration.

I can't comment there or follow along with any TR stuff that might hit the FB haunt, so it matters less to me now than it did this morning. I assume that will continue to grow since I'm not making a Fakebook account just for that

I'm going to say one more little bit about this and then I am going to Let It Go.

This wasn't Luke making a spur-of-the-moment comment in a fit of frustration.  It was a calculated take-down.  My question appeared last week, which means Luke had to approve the question for Ms Ppraisal to answer.  He then waited a week to craft his retort.  It wasn't frustration-- it was mean-spiritedness.

Secondly his comment belies his *real* attitudes towards nerdery.  It seems to indicate that he has very limited ideas of what constitutes "nerd news".  By his own blog posts, those are: Toys, television show comment threads, and wrestling commentary.  The few other types of posts have been slowly dying off.

In my opinion, a person can be a "good" nerd and be interested in any number of things that by themselves aren't "nerdy".  There are film nerds, sports nerds, gun nerds, My Little Pony nerds, horror flick nerds, TMBG nerds, etc.  what makes us a community isn't that we all like the same three nerdy hobbies.  What makes us a community is our ability to recognize and embrace the Wide World of Nerdiness.

My description of myself as The Bad Nerd is an attempt at self-effacing humor.  I acknowledge that I don't "get" the toy collecting, for example, but I am able to respect those to do get it.  

Luke's response today seems to tell me that he's only interested in His Kind of nerdery and be damned with anyone else.

That's sad.  That's the direction I see his site going.  and that's why I am sad to no longer feel welcome there.

I'm not a professional writer and I've had a beer tonight so I'm not sure this is entirely cogent.

Thanks for listening.

I was in a rush this morning needing to get to school, so I didn't have the time to look at the columns until after getting home.... fuck that guy! Up til now, I felt slightly guilty for not taking the time to keep up on the site, but that's no longer the case. I won't be bothering to visit again. I'll always have fond memories of what the site once was. I'm glad I was able to make some money from it last year when I was jobless and every little bit made a difference. I'm grateful that I got to be a part of the TR community when it was still great, and we did stuff like the secret santa thing. I'm pissed at voice media for pissing all that greatness away, and while I've had sympathy for Luke having to play by someone else's rules, him lashing out at long time supporters like Polk and being a dick just burned up all that sympathy.

Here's a thing. I don't want to be "that guy" who asks his friends to choose sides when he and his spouse get a divorce. If you like the site, please continue to visit it. Don't deprive yourself of something because of a sense of loyalty.

I'm certainly experiencing hurt feelings. I feel the loss of the community we had for the same reasons you mentioned. Getting to know people I would never have met otherwise, the secret santa, stormy's butt...

But my bosses tell me my personality profile is that I am a "feeler" which means that I internalize things and react emotionally rather than analytically. I'll get over my hurt feelings-- I just don't think it's healthy clinging to something that no longer wants to be what I want it to be.
    NebulaJack
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

Post by NebulaJack Thu Oct 15, 2015 11:09 pm

James.k.Polk wrote:
    Patch wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:
    But his attitude lately...I'm sure he is under some pressure.    But that's no reason to snap at a long-time reader of the site who disagrees with the direction the site has been moving.

Yeah his response today to Polk was out of line. He gets paid to do this. The readers are his customers. Sure he has banned some folks for being dicks, but Polk was just expressing his frustration.

I can't comment there or follow along with any TR stuff that might hit the FB haunt, so it matters less to me now than it did this morning. I assume that will continue to grow since I'm not making a Fakebook account just for that

I'm going to say one more little bit about this and then I am going to Let It Go.

This wasn't Luke making a spur-of-the-moment comment in a fit of frustration.  It was a calculated take-down.  My question appeared last week, which means Luke had to approve the question for Ms Ppraisal to answer.  He then waited a week to craft his retort.  It wasn't frustration-- it was mean-spiritedness.

Secondly his comment belies his *real* attitudes towards nerdery.  It seems to indicate that he has very limited ideas of what constitutes "nerd news".  By his own blog posts, those are: Toys, television show comment threads, and wrestling commentary.  The few other types of posts have been slowly dying off.

In my opinion, a person can be a "good" nerd and be interested in any number of things that by themselves aren't "nerdy".  There are film nerds, sports nerds, gun nerds, My Little Pony nerds, horror flick nerds, TMBG nerds, etc.  what makes us a community isn't that we all like the same three nerdy hobbies.  What makes us a community is our ability to recognize and embrace the Wide World of Nerdiness.

My description of myself as The Bad Nerd is an attempt at self-effacing humor.  I acknowledge that I don't "get" the toy collecting, for example, but I am able to respect those to do get it.  

Luke's response today seems to tell me that he's only interested in His Kind of nerdery and be damned with anyone else.

That's sad.  That's the direction I see his site going.  and that's why I am sad to no longer feel welcome there.

I'm not a professional writer and I've had a beer tonight so I'm not sure this is entirely cogent.

Thanks for listening.

I was in a rush this morning needing to get to school, so I didn't have the time to look at the columns until after getting home.... fuck that guy! Up til now, I felt slightly guilty for not taking the time to keep up on the site, but that's no longer the case. I won't be bothering to visit again. I'll always have fond memories of what the site once was. I'm glad I was able to make some money from it last year when I was jobless and every little bit made a difference. I'm grateful that I got to be a part of the TR community when it was still great, and we did stuff like the secret santa thing. I'm pissed at voice media for pissing all that greatness away, and while I've had sympathy for Luke having to play by someone else's rules, him lashing out at long time supporters like Polk and being a dick just burned up all that sympathy.

James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Thu Oct 15, 2015 10:04 pm

Patch wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:

This wasn't Luke making a spur-of-the-moment comment in a fit of frustration. It was a calculated take-down. My question appeared last week, which means Luke had to approve the question for Ms Ppraisal to answer. He then waited a week to craft his retort. It wasn't frustration-- it was mean-spiritedness.

Secondly his comment belies his *real* attitudes towards nerdery. It seems to indicate that he has very limited ideas of what constitutes "nerd news". By his own blog posts, those are: Toys, television show comment threads, and wrestling commentary. The few other types of posts have been slowly dying off.

In my opinion, a person can be a "good" nerd and be interested in any number of things that by themselves aren't "nerdy". There are film nerds, sports nerds, gun nerds, My Little Pony nerds, horror flick nerds, TMBG nerds, etc. what makes us a community isn't that we all like the same three nerdy hobbies. What makes us a community is our ability to recognize and embrace the Wide World of Nerdiness.

My description of myself as The Bad Nerd is an attempt at self-effacing humor. I acknowledge that I don't "get" the toy collecting, for example, but I am able to respect those to do get it.

That's sad. That's the direction I see his site going. and that's why I am sad to no longer feel welcome there.

Thanks for listening.
    Patch
    Patch

Post by Patch Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:52 pm

rkwsuperstar wrote:

rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Thu Oct 15, 2015 2:11 pm

James.k.Polk wrote:
    Patch wrote:Well we could all go hang out here.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2005/05/26/haunting-ground

Livefyre comment system. Dead thread with not a single comment and a fitting name. I just made an account and added the first comment. The site does lots of geek tv reviews along side the video games so there is some stuff we might like checking out.

Bookmark it and come on over if you like the idea

This is interesting as well.  You don't have to be in the haunt to see whats happening there. At least that's what I took form a quick glance
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/09/17/comment-notifications-are-coming-to-ign

I'll check it when iI get home.  Because at this point fuck Luke.  I guess I'm going all Tupper Adam on him.

I was down on the FB changeover. The new site design made me even less likely to visit the page. But his attitude lately...I'm sure he is under some pressure. I'm sure his page views are down and comments are down-I don't know how they measure success on websites like this, but I can't imagine the recent changes haven't hurt their traffic, even with the influx of twitter fools. But that's no reason to snap at a long-time reader of the site who disagrees with the direction the site has been moving.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:57 am