TR Haunt

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
TR Haunt

Come hangout

+3
Sleverin
James.k.Polk
NebulaJack
7 posters

The New Year Approaches.

James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk
    Achieved rank by cheating

The New Year Approaches. - Page 2 Empty Re: The New Year Approaches.

Post by James.k.Polk Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:40 pm

rkwsuperstar wrote:
    James.k.Polk wrote:Online schools that require group projects really ought to have some kind of collaboration platform software that allows the instructor to automatically see which parts of the project were added by which players. Final document is submitted and the prof gets a pie chart showing how much of that content came from who.  

That should be totally doable with the tech we have these days.

He could probably check the project module-he did create them and add us to the group.  So he could go in and see that no one else was posting on the discussion board, and all the uploaded files were from me.  But he never said in the project overview that equal work was expected.  Just that, as a group, we would get one grade.

Your instructor is part of the problem. Even when I was doing classes that had group projects, if one or tow of us complained about the others, the professor factored it into his individual scores.
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:07 pm

James.k.Polk wrote:Also, Arkay...

Are you giving feedback at the ends of these online classes? Because if it were me I'd be giving the professor terrible, terrible low review scores explaining that his grading system is unfair as it is burdening you with three times the work and rewarding those who did nothing.

We do have evaluations...I guess I could put a comment that there should be some better regs to ensure equal participation or something. I sort of get the idea...he has 20 or so students times however many classes he teaches, he wants to cut down on time, so having 4 groups of 4 or something means 4 projects to review per class rather than 20. But damn, that was a lot of work...just the paper itself was 8 pages single spaced. But was it Patch? Who pointed out that it happens in the real world and your boss doesn't care that Bob didn't help, all he cares is that it got done?
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Wed Feb 03, 2016 4:03 pm

James.k.Polk wrote:Online schools that require group projects really ought to have some kind of collaboration platform software that allows the instructor to automatically see which parts of the project were added by which players. Final document is submitted and the prof gets a pie chart showing how much of that content came from who.  

He could probably check the project module-he did create them and add us to the group. So he could go in and see that no one else was posting on the discussion board, and all the uploaded files were from me. But he never said in the project overview that equal work was expected. Just that, as a group, we would get one grade.
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:57 pm

Also, Arkay...

Are you giving feedback at the ends of these online classes? Because if it were me I'd be giving the professor terrible, terrible low review scores explaining that his grading system is unfair as it is burdening you with three times the work and rewarding those who did nothing.
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Wed Feb 03, 2016 3:55 pm

Online schools that require group projects really ought to have some kind of collaboration platform software that allows the instructor to automatically see which parts of the project were added by which players. Final document is submitted and the prof gets a pie chart showing how much of that content came from who.

Patch
    Patch

Post by Patch Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:07 pm

rkwsuperstar wrote: Group projects can go to hell and die.

Sounds like everyone else has no issue with group projects as long as you are in the group lol!
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:07 am

Research project due today. I have received absolutely no response from anyone in my group, beyond the one guy fiddling with the powerpoint. Group projects can go to hell and die.
    Patch
    Patch

Post by Patch Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:09 am

James.k.Polk wrote:Patch...

Rather than quote your post in reply, I'll just add this.

I can't imagine voting for Clinton.  My reasons are these. When she raises her voice she sounds shrill. It makes her unlikeable.  Add to that the seeming attitude that she' "entitled" to the presidency because by golly, we had a black man, now it's a woman's turn.

I want there to be a better reason to vote for her.

And oh yeah, all the history of scandals and misdeeds that were covered up and forgiven.  If a republican had done even one of those things, he would have been hounded from office.

This a crappy field of candidates.

Cruz is in front for me. Then Bernie. I'd give either a chance to get my vote and I think they will try to make changes while in office, rather than ride it out.

Trump would be a disaster. Washington is the ultimate good old boy system. He's an outsider. Carter ran into the same issue and went down as one of our worst presidents. He had no insiders. Trump would have the same problem.

Rubio seems swarmy to me. He reminds me of a used car salesmen.

James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:56 am

Patch...

Rather than quote your post in reply, I'll just add this.

I can't imagine voting for Clinton. My reasons are these. When she raises her voice she sounds shrill. It makes her unlikeable. Add to that the seeming attitude that she' "entitled" to the presidency because by golly, we had a black man, now it's a woman's turn.

I want there to be a better reason to vote for her.

And oh yeah, all the history of scandals and misdeeds that were covered up and forgiven. If a republican had done even one of those things, he would have been hounded from office.
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:50 am

James.k.Polk wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:If anyone cares, update on the idiot we offered a job to and he's been ignoring us.  He finally called the supervisor and told him that he wanted more money before he accepted the job.  Why he had to wait 2 weeks to respond is a mystery, and he already verbally accepted the new rate of pay.  The professor who was going to hire him said no, he had already offered more than he really should be getting, and so the job offered was rescinded.  I don't know what kind of bargaining this guy thought he had-ignore us for 2 weeks and 10 minutes before the deadline you were given to respond, you call and demand more money?

And he gave up, what, two weeks of income based on the idea that he could squeeze another fifty cents an hour out of you guys?

This is why I don't understand unions.  We're going to go on strike, lose six months of our whole income, then "win" an extra couple dollars an hour. Seems like you add up six months of zeros, then endure a couple of years before the extra pay adds up to what you lost in the strike.

Well, I understand unions that fight for good conditions and all that. But when I worked for the call center, we had a union. not required to join, and I didn't. Not because I didn't believe in it, but because they were pushy assholes and the more they bugged me about joining, the more resistant I became. We had a contract hammered out by executives in the union and the phone company and a guarantee that we wouldn't strike. our union would organize protests, for people to participate in on their day off, just so the local management would "remember" that we had a union onsite. Who would give up their day off for that? Or go out and protest in the 105F degree heat (out by the road so you smelled like exhaust all day, because no protests were allowed on the property) and then come to work when your shift started later that day?
    Patch
    Patch

Post by Patch Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:45 am

rkwsuperstar wrote: These are the people who choose a candidate based on a facebook post.

Yeah that's what it comes down to these days. No big picture politics, just what can you do for me. You say you can give me $15 minimum wage, I'll vote for you. Will it destroy our economy? Probably not. Will it lead to less jobs? Absolutely. Will smaller businesses close? Sure they will. Will companies be forced to adjust by subcontracting out positions so they don't have to carry the burden, essentially making you a 1099 self employed hamburger flipper with no benefits? Your damn right they will. Thanks for the vote.
    Patch
    Patch

Post by Patch Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:33 am

I'm sure I'm easy to dismiss as a Republican gun nut, but honestly. I thought Clinton did a good job in his first term, including the Brady Bill. When his scandal hit and he lied about it, continued to lie about it, and once caught, tried to downplay it, he should have been removed from office. The only thing that kept him from being impeached was party lines. Which is very telling. Lie all you want, we will protect you.

I was for Obama in his first term. I was hopeful that he would not only be our first black president, but a great president. Then he did noting of note until he had to gear up for reelection. His second term is even less impressive, since he has caused such division in Washington, so he can't get anything done through the proper channels, he has to use executive orders and action to achieve anything he wants.

At the end of next election, I'm sure we will see more of the same, if Bernie wins or a Republican. If Hillary wins we will have scandal after scandal, and be more of an embarrassment on the world stage than we currently are. She is corrupt. They have a history of corruption.

1. Monica Lewinsky: Led to only the second president in American history to be impeached.

2. Benghazi: Four Americans killed, an entire system of weak diplomatic security uncloaked, and the credibility of a president and his secretary of state damaged.

3. Asia fundraising scandal: More than four dozen convicted in a scandal that made the Lincoln bedroom, White House donor coffees and Buddhist monks infamous.

4. Hillary’s private emails: Hundreds of national secrets already leaked through private email and the specter of a criminal probe looming large.

5. Whitewater: A large S&L failed and several people went to prison.

6. Travelgate: The firing of the career travel office was the very first crony capitalism scandal of the Clinton era.

7. Humagate: An aide’s sweetheart job arrangement.

8. Pardongate: The first time donations were ever connected as possible motives for presidential pardons.

9. Foundation favors: Revealing evidence that the Clinton Foundation was a pay-to-play back door to the State Department, and an open checkbook for foreigners to curry favor.

10. Mysterious files: The disappearance and re-discovery of Hillary’s Rose Law Firm records.

11. Filegate: The Clinton use of FBI files to dig for dirt on their enemies.

12. Hubble trouble: The resignation and imprisonment of Hillary law partner Web Hubbell.

13. The Waco tragedy: One of the most lethal exercises of police power in American history.

14. The Clinton’s Swedish slush fund: $26 million collected overseas with little accountability and lots of questions about whether contributors got a pass on Iran sanctions.

15. Troopergate: From the good old days, did Arkansas state troopers facilitate Bill Clinton’s philandering?

16. Gennifer Flowers: The tale that catapulted a supermarket tabloid into the big time.

17. Bill’s Golden Tongue: His and her speech fees shocked the American public.

18. Boeing Bucks: Boeing contributed big-time to Bill; Hillary helped the company obtain a profitable Russian contract.

19. Larry Lawrence: How did a fat cat donor get buried in Arlington National Cemetery without war experience?

20. The cattle futures: Hillary as commodity trader extraordinaire.

21. Chinagate: Nuclear secrets go to China on her husband’s watch.3. Asia fundraising scandal: More than four dozen convicted in a scandal that made the Lincoln bedroom, White House donor coffees and Buddhist monks infamous.

People who take the time to look into her past and have any sense, can't possibly be good with voting for her. If you want more interesting reads. Look at the deaths surrounding the  Clinton's.

Last edited by Patch on Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:52 am; edited 1 time in total
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:23 am

rkwsuperstar wrote:If anyone cares, update on the idiot we offered a job to and he's been ignoring us.  He finally called the supervisor and told him that he wanted more money before he accepted the job.  Why he had to wait 2 weeks to respond is a mystery, and he already verbally accepted the new rate of pay.  The professor who was going to hire him said no, he had already offered more than he really should be getting, and so the job offered was rescinded.  I don't know what kind of bargaining this guy thought he had-ignore us for 2 weeks and 10 minutes before the deadline you were given to respond, you call and demand more money?

And he gave up, what, two weeks of income based on the idea that he could squeeze another fifty cents an hour out of you guys?

This is why I don't understand unions. We're going to go on strike, lose six months of our whole income, then "win" an extra couple dollars an hour. Seems like you add up six months of zeros, then endure a couple of years before the extra pay adds up to what you lost in the strike.
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:13 am

If anyone cares, update on the idiot we offered a job to and he's been ignoring us. He finally called the supervisor and told him that he wanted more money before he accepted the job. Why he had to wait 2 weeks to respond is a mystery, and he already verbally accepted the new rate of pay. The professor who was going to hire him said no, he had already offered more than he really should be getting, and so the job offered was rescinded. I don't know what kind of bargaining this guy thought he had-ignore us for 2 weeks and 10 minutes before the deadline you were given to respond, you call and demand more money?
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:58 am

James.k.Polk wrote:
    Patch wrote:GMA is complaining about a lady suing because her Kit Kat bars were all chocolate and another lady is complaining that a picture that won a contest had her horse in it without her permission, so she wants some money. The thing that gets me is that GMA pushes their politically correct, kumbaya, bullshit that encourages this asinine behavior.

Don't even get me started on George Snuffaluffagus. Watching him pretend to be a reporter, asking the tough questions of Bernie, Trump, and Cruz, then wetting himself in excitement when his old boss Clinton shows up, so he can gush over her for 15 minutes. What a joke.

The New Year Approaches. - Page 2 UNWQdUw

http://nypost.com/2015/05/16/george-stephanopoulos-has-forfeited-all-trust-as-a-newsman/

Over three years, he gave at least $75,000 to an organization that acts like a political super PAC for Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign and a tax-free slush fund for the Clinton family.
    He made two unforgivable decisions: He didn’t tell his bosses about the donations and he didn’t tell viewers that he had given money to the foundation even as he reported on it and the Clintons.
    Almost as egregious, ABC’s “punishment” is that Stephanopoulos will not take part in a GOP debate. Big whoop.

I shouldn't watch the news. It just pisses me off

I've never understood how political operatives are taken seriously when they sit at the "journalism" desk. Not just snottyopolis. Mike Huckabee was a on Fox News, Chelsea Clinton, Bush's daughter...

Does anyone expect them to suddenly be neutral as far as politics go?

Let them be reporters. But make them cover police chases and apartment fires for eight years before they sit at an anchor desk.

What's sad about the whole thing is that there is a majority of people who believe a lot of this nonsense, simply because it was on tv. Or in a blog they read online. No one wants to take 3 minutes of their day to look up any facts. A woman who used to work here got mad at me once because she told me she thought it was cool that the killer from Texas Chainsaw Massacre was locked up in our state hospital (Supesville is the home of a state hospital for the criminally insane. Arkham Asylum). I replied that TCM was not, in fact, a real thing, and that Leatherface was not actually a person, that it was a made up story based on Ed Gein from Wisconsin, just like Psycho and Buffalo Bill from Silence of the Lambs, so there was no TCM killer in our hospital. She got pissed off, told me to look it up, and walked out. These are the people who choose a candidate based on a facebook post.
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:45 am

Patch wrote:GMA is complaining about a lady suing because her Kit Kat bars were all chocolate and another lady is complaining that a picture that won a contest had her horse in it without her permission, so she wants some money. The thing that gets me is that GMA pushes their politically correct, kumbaya, bullshit that encourages this asinine behavior.

Don't even get me started on George Snuffaluffagus. Watching him pretend to be a reporter, asking the tough questions of Bernie, Trump, and Cruz, then wetting himself in excitement when his old boss Clinton shows up, so he can gush over her for 15 minutes. What a joke.

http://nypost.com/2015/05/16/george-stephanopoulos-has-forfeited-all-trust-as-a-newsman/

Over three years, he gave at least $75,000 to an organization that acts like a political super PAC for Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign and a tax-free slush fund for the Clinton family.
    He made two unforgivable decisions: He didn’t tell his bosses about the donations and he didn’t tell viewers that he had given money to the foundation even as he reported on it and the Clintons.
    Almost as egregious, ABC’s “punishment” is that Stephanopoulos will not take part in a GOP debate. Big whoop.

I've never understood how political operatives are taken seriously when they sit at the "journalism" desk. Not just snottyopolis. Mike Huckabee was a on Fox News, Chelsea Clinton, Bush's daughter...

Does anyone expect them to suddenly be neutral as far as politics go?

Let them be reporters. But make them cover police chases and apartment fires for eight years before they sit at an anchor desk.
    Patch
    Patch

Post by Patch Wed Feb 03, 2016 8:28 am

GMA is complaining about a lady suing because her Kit Kat bars were all chocolate and another lady is complaining that a picture that won a contest had her horse in it without her permission, so she wants some money. The thing that gets me is that GMA pushes their politically correct, kumbaya, bullshit that encourages this asinine behavior.

James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:59 am

[quote="Patch"]Good Morning Campers.

Feeling a bit better today. Hope this runs it's course by tomorrow. I didn't really have much inte

I know I won't see it. I'm in that shameful group of people who *might* see it if it were rated PG-13.

I've seen enough heads exploding during the trailers to know that it isn't my thing.
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:40 am

James.k.Polk wrote:
    Sleverin wrote:My mom has the same problem and I have had some of that as well when I took online courses.  I tried to post my responses early in the week and we were supposed to respond to two other people with thoughtful remarks (not just "yeah I agree" which is a lot of what happened).  I would have to wait until Sunday nights a lot of the time to make any responses.  Sometimes I wouldn't even be able to do it because of a lack of posts.  Out of a 40 student class, 2 people put something down before the end of the week.  Just shows how and why a lot of people fail at life.

That's the problem. Those people don't "fail at life". They are passed right through the system by professors who handled their own education the same way.

Later they are passed up the ranks in business until they reach a point where they can't hide their lack of skills. But at that point they're too embedded in the system to be easily removed.

And as to Gonzo's point. I'm not depressed either. Sometimes I notice being lonely, other times I do not. What I do know is that the part of me that desires peace and quiet and no stress is greater than the part of me that wants to touch a boobs.

Yea, sometimes I get a little lonely and wish I wasn't...and then other times I'm happy that there's no one around to deal with.
    Patch
    Patch

Post by Patch Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:39 am

Good Morning Campers.

Feeling a bit better today. Hope this runs it's course by tomorrow. I didn't really have much interest in seeing Deadpool, because most of the X-men movies are crap. The trailers look good, so I might take a chance.
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Tue Feb 02, 2016 7:34 am

Sleverin wrote:My mom has the same problem and I have had some of that as well when I took online courses.  I tried to post my responses early in the week and we were supposed to respond to two other people with thoughtful remarks (not just "yeah I agree" which is a lot of what happened).  I would have to wait until Sunday nights a lot of the time to make any responses.  Sometimes I wouldn't even be able to do it because of a lack of posts.  Out of a 40 student class, 2 people put something down before the end of the week.  Just shows how and why a lot of people fail at life.

That's the problem. Those people don't "fail at life". They are passed right through the system by professors who handled their own education the same way.

Later they are passed up the ranks in business until they reach a point where they can't hide their lack of skills. But at that point they're too embedded in the system to be easily removed.

And as to Gonzo's point. I'm not depressed either. Sometimes I notice being lonely, other times I do not. What I do know is that the part of me that desires peace and quiet and no stress is greater than the part of me that wants to touch a boobs.
    Sleverin
    Sleverin
    Here for Keg girls
    Here for Keg girls

Post by Sleverin Mon Feb 01, 2016 9:15 pm

My mom has the same problem and I have had some of that as well when I took online courses. I tried to post my responses early in the week and we were supposed to respond to two other people with thoughtful remarks (not just "yeah I agree" which is a lot of what happened). I would have to wait until Sunday nights a lot of the time to make any responses. Sometimes I wouldn't even be able to do it because of a lack of posts. Out of a 40 student class, 2 people put something down before the end of the week. Just shows how and why a lot of people fail at life.
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Mon Feb 01, 2016 8:57 pm

Sleverin wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:My group project is due this week.  Powerpoint and a paper.  I'm the only one doing anything.  I finally got a response from one guy on the powerpoint (we have a file exchange thing) and he "participated" by going through and adding the company logo of the stocks in our portfolio and changing the font.  Thanks for your contribution.

And this is where people start saying the teacher is against them or something.  My favorite was me being accused of being the teachers favorite.  I'm not the favorite, I just participate in class discussions and am interested in learning the subject.  Turns out teachers respond really well when you are engaging and interested.

Yea, I'm not saying I'm some amazing wiz at this class or anything, but these guys are worthless. What would they be doing if I had the same attitude they did? We'd get a damn zero. Even if I'm terrible at this, they are basically dependent on me for their grade and they can't even be bothered to look at the report? It's not like we haven't had since the third week of class back in November to work on this. When I pull up the discussion board, there are 50 posts, all initiated by me, and about 5 of them have a response from someone.
    Sleverin
    Sleverin
    Here for Keg girls
    Here for Keg girls

Post by Sleverin Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:49 pm

rkwsuperstar wrote:My group project is due this week.  Powerpoint and a paper.  I'm the only one doing anything.  I finally got a response from one guy on the powerpoint (we have a file exchange thing) and he "participated" by going through and adding the company logo of the stocks in our portfolio and changing the font.  Thanks for your contribution.

And this is where people start saying the teacher is against them or something. My favorite was me being accused of being the teachers favorite. I'm not the favorite, I just participate in class discussions and am interested in learning the subject. Turns out teachers respond really well when you are engaging and interested.

So I owe some large amount or something to a collection agency for some medical bill that I ascertained while going to a county hospital. After "assessing" my finances, they knocked a small amount off the total and asked if I could pay the lump sum of around 1800$. I work part time and spend most of one of my two paychecks on rent and the second one on food and bills. I hardly see how that's a position to take. They claimed to have "negotiated" with their supervisor. Either these people are vicious sharks or monstrous idiots because there's no goddamn way I'm paying monthly on an account that is accruing interest of around 30%. I'd rather declare bankruptcy or just refuse to pay them. I also was not informed in any way that I had a bill and I thought I was covered under our county's welfare insurance (which I qualified for at the time of the bill) so I'm baffled as to how it got to a collection agency. Either way, the guys at the financial aid office informed me that I had a bill and that the company would take 50% off no problem because that's standard practice. They took less than 200$ off the total, which is barely 10%. Fuck off or let's work something better out because I damn sure am not paying nearly 2 grand.
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Mon Feb 01, 2016 3:09 pm

My group project is due this week. Powerpoint and a paper. I'm the only one doing anything. I finally got a response from one guy on the powerpoint (we have a file exchange thing) and he "participated" by going through and adding the company logo of the stocks in our portfolio and changing the font. Thanks for your contribution.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 9:25 am