TR Haunt

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
TR Haunt

Come hangout

3 posters

Poll 10-22-15 Halloween vs Thanksgiving vs Christmas

Poll

Why do you think there are more stories set during Halloween or Christmas than Thanksgiving?

[ 1 ]
    Poll 10-22-15 Halloween vs Thanksgiving vs Christmas Bar_left20%Poll 10-22-15 Halloween vs Thanksgiving vs Christmas Bar_right [20%] 
    [ 4 ]
    Poll 10-22-15 Halloween vs Thanksgiving vs Christmas Bar_left80%Poll 10-22-15 Halloween vs Thanksgiving vs Christmas Bar_right [80%] 
    [ 0 ]
    Poll 10-22-15 Halloween vs Thanksgiving vs Christmas Bar_left0%Poll 10-22-15 Halloween vs Thanksgiving vs Christmas Bar_right [0%] 

Total Votes: 5
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk
    Achieved rank by cheating

Poll 10-22-15 Halloween vs Thanksgiving vs Christmas Empty Re: Poll 10-22-15 Halloween vs Thanksgiving vs Christmas

Post by James.k.Polk Sat Oct 24, 2015 6:47 am

NebulaJack wrote:
    James.k.Polk wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:I think part of the issue is that Thanksgiving is an American tradition.  So if you try to sell/market a movie set during this, it's not very relatable to an international audience.

Halloween is perfect for scary movies-it's a good reason for people not to be suspicious of a guy in a mask, to have the characters go in abandoned old houses, lots of pranks are committed on Halloween etc.

Keeping with scary movies, setting them at Christmas is a nice contrast.  You have this holiday centered around religion, with a spirit of hope and love and peace, and then you turn that on its head with murders and maimings, etc.

I think if corporate America could think of a way to cram Thanksgiving into the malls instead of just the grocery store,  we'd have more Thanksgiving related everything.

Even the Charlie Brown Thanksgiving special is a pale shadow of the other two Peanuts holiday specials.

I'm not sure if I was unaware that there's a Charlie Brown Thanksgiving special, or knew that once and had forgotten it. I guess it goes to show how unmemorable that one is.

Something about Peppermint Patty inviting herself to Thanksgiving dinner. Somehow the whole gang shows up. Charlie Brown and Snoopy set up a table outside and serve popcorn and toast because that's all they know how to make.

Peppermint Patty gets all snippy because what kind of meal is that, but she's kind of a bitch for inviting herself anyway only I think she lives with her working-class dad that was the only Thanksgiving she was going to get.
    NebulaJack
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

Poll 10-22-15 Halloween vs Thanksgiving vs Christmas Empty Re: Poll 10-22-15 Halloween vs Thanksgiving vs Christmas

Post by NebulaJack Fri Oct 23, 2015 9:42 pm

James.k.Polk wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:I think part of the issue is that Thanksgiving is an American tradition.  So if you try to sell/market a movie set during this, it's not very relatable to an international audience.

Halloween is perfect for scary movies-it's a good reason for people not to be suspicious of a guy in a mask, to have the characters go in abandoned old houses, lots of pranks are committed on Halloween etc.

Keeping with scary movies, setting them at Christmas is a nice contrast.  You have this holiday centered around religion, with a spirit of hope and love and peace, and then you turn that on its head with murders and maimings, etc.

I think if corporate America could think of a way to cram Thanksgiving into the malls instead of just the grocery store,  we'd have more Thanksgiving related everything.

Even the Charlie Brown Thanksgiving special is a pale shadow of the other two Peanuts holiday specials.

I'm not sure if I was unaware that there's a Charlie Brown Thanksgiving special, or knew that once and had forgotten it. I guess it goes to show how unmemorable that one is.
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:37 am

I think if corporate America could think of a way to cram Thanksgiving into the malls instead of just the grocery store, we'd have more Thanksgiving related everything.

rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Fri Oct 23, 2015 8:19 am

I think part of the issue is that Thanksgiving is an American tradition.  So if you try to sell/market a movie set during this, it's not very relatable to an international audience.

James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Fri Oct 23, 2015 6:43 am

It's marketing.

For Halloween we buy costumes, candy, props and decorations for the lawn...

For Christmas we buy decorations and toys and gifts and pajamas and cookies and greeting cards and lights and lawn decorations and on and on and on.

For Thanksgiving we buy a turkey and potatoes and stuff to make pies. Maybe a centerpiece for the table...

There's more stuff they've figured out to try to talk us into buying--therefore more marketing for those holidays. Thanksgiving is already a flickering candle dying in the twin spotlights of Halloween and Christmas. That's why novelists and movie makers overlook it. It's not as commercial.

Thanksgiving is my favorite of the three holidays and I guess I am glad there isn't as much commercialization of it.
    NebulaJack
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

Poll 10-22-15 Halloween vs Thanksgiving vs Christmas Empty Poll 10-22-15 Halloween vs Thanksgiving vs Christmas

Post by NebulaJack Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:31 pm

It occurs to me, that there aren't really a whole lot of movies or TV specials set during Thanksgiving and I wonder why that is.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri Apr 26, 2024 9:36 am