TR Haunt

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
TR Haunt

Come hangout

+2
James.k.Polk
rkwsuperstar
6 posters

Autumn Approaches

Patch
    Patch
    Achieved rank by cheating

Autumn Approaches - Page 4 Empty Re: Autumn Approaches

Post by Patch Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:16 am

James.k.Polk wrote:Bah.

I can't even win by default.

Turns out that the person who really drawer the best art really did respond to the notice that he'd won but Luke just lost the email in his spam folder.

I don't know why thatbothers me but it kinda does.

Something about being second place in a three man race.

Morning everyone.

I guess I missed something because I have no idea that you are referring to. I ended up in your neck of the woods yesterday. I drove by the mines but didn't see your car or I would have dropped in and said hi. I did go to the range and fired off a couple boxes of ammo. I have a few more gun reviews to write about. One I love, one I like and one I'm not a huge fan of. Just need to find some time to do so. Work has had me jumping lately.
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Wed Sep 16, 2015 8:56 am

Bah.

I can't even win by default.

Turns out that the person who really drawer the best art really did respond to the notice that he'd won but Luke just lost the email in his spam folder.

I don't know why thatbothers me but it kinda does.

Something about being second place in a three man race.
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:56 pm

kegs wrote:
    James.k.Polk wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:
    James.k.Polk wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:
    James.k.Polk wrote:The Happy Joy laundry is no more.

Every Tuesday I drive to the Happy Joy in hopes that it will have reopened.  In late July it closed to move to a different space in the same strip mall. All the machines were moved to the new space,.  The walls were painted to match the old Happy Joy space.  An "opening soon"  sign went up.

Then nothing.  

No activity,  no sign of life.

Today, it is padlocked from the outside.

I am somewhat stressed by this development.

Do they have a phone...you could call and see if there is a message about it.

I haven't tried to call.  Padlocked from the outside usually means the landlord evicted them.  I'll keep monitoring.  Meanwhile I no longer hate the Joyless yet Serviceable laundry.

I still despise the "buy a laundry card"  system.  My quarters aren't good enough for these people?

Maybe you need to find an entirely new laundry that still takes quarters.

The problem is that laundromats are pretty few and far between nowadays.  There were three that I have found in Euless.  The Happy Joy, the Nope, and the Joyless Perfunctory laundry I now use.

Just buy your laundry cards using quarters. Tell your friends to as well.

The Joyless laundry doesn't even accept quarters. There's a bill changer and a card vending/refilling machine. That is all.
    kegs
    kegs
    Believes Timely and Gonzo are meant to be together

Post by kegs Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:56 am

James.k.Polk wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:
    James.k.Polk wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:

Every Tuesday I drive to the Happy Joy in hopes that it will have reopened.  In late July it closed to move to a different space in the same strip mall. All the machines were moved to the new space,.  The walls were painted to match the old Happy Joy space.  An "opening soon"  sign went up.

Then nothing.  

I haven't tried to call.  Padlocked from the outside usually means the landlord evicted them.  I'll keep monitoring.  Meanwhile I no longer hate the Joyless yet Serviceable laundry.

I still despise the "buy a laundry card"  system.  My quarters aren't good enough for these people?

The problem is that laundromats are pretty few and far between nowadays.  There were three that I have found in Euless.  The Happy Joy, the Nope, and the Joyless Perfunctory laundry I now use.

Just buy your laundry cards using quarters. Tell your friends to as well.
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:58 am

rkwsuperstar wrote:
    James.k.Polk wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:

Then nothing.  

The problem is that laundromats are pretty few and far between nowadays. There were three that I have found in Euless. The Happy Joy, the Nope, and the Joyless Perfunctory laundry I now use.
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:06 am

rkwsuperstar wrote:
    James.k.Polk wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:
    James.k.Polk wrote:
    kegs wrote:Arrrgh! What the hell? Did the 80's just vomit a logo? And yay for a website that looks exactply like every other one on the internets. This is cause for much drinking.

Speaking as a person who already wandered off from TRV,  the changes don't bother me.  They list me when they removed the one feature that made the site unique and fun to spend time on.  

When they invited e erroneous to do it all on Facebook, they had to realize that with Facebook we never needed them at all.

We didn't want Facebook,  but since the site doesn't offer anything Facebook doesn't already do...

And this reminds me again how much I don't like the new tagline.  Now, we have a new tagline, a new name, a hideous logo, too many wrestling stories, Facebook commenting, and fewer cool people and more jackasses.

Which is exactly Luke's mandate.  Attract a wider audience.  To hell with the people who got you where you are. Corporate weenieism.

I don't dislike Luke.  I understand that some of the changes came from bosses.  But I will say that if I came to the site today for the first time, I don't know that I would stick around.  Heck, I'm almost there now, since I can talk to you guys here and on the FB group.  But Rob was funny, and sometimes Luke is too serious.

I like Luke and iIdon't blame him. It's the corporate weenies. But yeah. Rob's the funniest blogger I've ever read, and iI look at cracked.com every day. Luke is more of a reporter than a commentator.
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Tue Sep 15, 2015 9:00 am

James.k.Polk wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:

Then nothing.  

rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:59 am

James.k.Polk wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:
    James.k.Polk wrote:
    kegs wrote:Arrrgh! What the hell? Did the 80's just vomit a logo? And yay for a website that looks exactply like every other one on the internets. This is cause for much drinking.

Speaking as a person who already wandered off from TRV,  the changes don't bother me.  They list me when they removed the one feature that made the site unique and fun to spend time on.  

When they invited e erroneous to do it all on Facebook, they had to realize that with Facebook we never needed them at all.

We didn't want Facebook,  but since the site doesn't offer anything Facebook doesn't already do...

And this reminds me again how much I don't like the new tagline.  Now, we have a new tagline, a new name, a hideous logo, too many wrestling stories, Facebook commenting, and fewer cool people and more jackasses.

Which is exactly Luke's mandate.  Attract a wider audience.  To hell with the people who got you where you are. Corporate weenieism.

I don't dislike Luke. I understand that some of the changes came from bosses. But I will say that if I came to the site today for the first time, I don't know that I would stick around. Heck, I'm almost there now, since I can talk to you guys here and on the FB group. But Rob was funny, and sometimes Luke is too serious.
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:56 am

rkwsuperstar wrote:

Then nothing.  

I haven't tried to call. Padlocked from the outside usually means the landlord evicted them. I'll keep monitoring. Meanwhile I no longer hate the Joyless yet Serviceable laundry.

I still despise the "buy a laundry card" system. My quarters aren't good enough for these people?
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:54 am

rkwsuperstar wrote:
    James.k.Polk wrote:

Which is exactly Luke's mandate. Attract a wider audience. To hell with the people who got you where you are. Corporate weenieism.
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:53 am

Then nothing.  

rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:52 am

James.k.Polk wrote:

And this reminds me again how much I don't like the new tagline. Now, we have a new tagline, a new name, a hideous logo, too many wrestling stories, Facebook commenting, and fewer cool people and more jackasses.
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:52 am

The Happy Joy laundry is no more.

Every Tuesday I drive to the Happy Joy in hopes that it will have reopened. In late July it closed to move to a different space in the same strip mall. All the machines were moved to the new space,. The walls were painted to match the old Happy Joy space. An "opening soon" sign went up.

Then nothing.

No activity, no sign of life.

rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:50 am

James.k.Polk wrote:

True...I rarely go on the site anymore...if I see a story in my feed, like a Jem story or something, I click on it, but I don't go to the site. The commenting section isn't fun now, and so many of the commenters are new. And while I don't hate new people (I mean, I sorta do, but that's not the point), they all seem to be jerks.
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:45 am

Speaking as a person who already wandered off from TRV, the changes don't bother me. They list me when they removed the one feature that made the site unique and fun to spend time on.

We didn't want Facebook, but since the site doesn't offer anything Facebook doesn't already do...
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:20 am

theIllustriousDrGonzo wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:
    theIllustriousDrGonzo wrote:Hey guys. Long time no post. Things have been busy on my end since Labor day. I have some great news though. Botcon 2016 is happening on the same weekend as my birthday and it's here in Louisville. I talked to Luke and he's going to get me credentials to get in and cover it for the website. I'm pretty stoked about that. However, he also said I should go ahead and start pitching him list/article ideas in case they ask me for my byline at registration since I'm not published on the website yet..I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO WRITE ABOUT...I have plenty of time, but I'm still nervous. Not only will you guys see it, but everyone else will see it as well..and I can't for the life of me think of a list or anything to write about.....

Whenever that Supergirl show comes out, you could write a review of that.

I thought about that. I think it should be something I am interested in definitely. It's hard finding something that hasn't already been done.

there are some shows you like...you could do a list of the best or the top 5 or whatever.  What is that you watch with Timely...Queensblade?  Am I confusing this with something else?

Queensblade.

You could write something up about that show, or Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, that kind of thing. A list about why it's great or the top X episodes, etc.
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Tue Sep 15, 2015 8:19 am

kegs wrote:Arrrgh! What the hell? Did the 80's just vomit a logo? And yay for a website that looks exactly like every other one on the internets. This is cause for much drinking.

I will agree. I don't mind the title change, I get it. But the logo is eye searing and I hate the layout.
    kegs
    kegs

Autumn Approaches - Page 4 Empty The Robot's Voice?

Post by kegs Tue Sep 15, 2015 6:21 am

Arrrgh! What the hell? Did the 80's just vomit a logo? And yay for a website that looks exactly like every other one on the internets. This is cause for much drinking.
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:02 pm

rkwsuperstar wrote:
    James.k.Polk wrote:
    NebulaJack wrote:
    James.k.Polk wrote:

Mini-Polk tale.

I was at work today and one of my sales guys comes to my desk and says someone wants to talk to me. I come out to the sales floor.  There's an older lady there waiting.  Other customers are purchasing things from other reps...

This lady launches into me about how she bought an HTC phone a month ago and that the online price had been $150 lower and I should have known the online offer and told her about it.  I should have DONE MY JOB and found a lower price for her.

I told her I had no idea the phone had been cheaper online.  

Well you should have known!

I ask her to lower her voice.  She does not.

Apparently she wants me to "do something" even though the 14 day exchange period is over and I still have no idea if there was a cheaper online price a month ago.  Again I ask her to keep a calm voice.  She does not. I ask her if she has called customer care to ask if they will help her.  She says they will not help (surprise?!)

I tell her that if she cannot stop making a scene we will need to step outside to speak and we walk to the door.  outside she again starts with the accusation that it was my job to find and offer her the lower online price.

At this point I kind of lost it.  I start shouting at her the same way she's shouting at me.  I tell her SEE I Can yell YELL TOO and tell her I can't understand how she expects me to honor a price she did not know about or ask for.

She starts waving a finger at me and starting up the whole "you're a terrible manager" routine.

I wave a hand at her, say "We're done." and walk back inside the store.

A few minutes later she came back into the store.  She glowered at me, but appeared to be shopping the accessory walls.  She never said anything else and left shortly thereafter.

I feel bad for yelling at her.  but honestly, would she want me to tell her what Best buy's prices for the same phone were and offer her a competing discount?  I don't understand crazy.

So is this the online price from the company you work for? If so, I can see the confusion on her part, because "it's all the same company" even though the stores, phone reps and websites all go through different channels. I often had the same problem when I took calls for AT&T. A customer wanted to get the online deal, but the website was screwing up and I had to ask for management approval to override the sale price in my system, which I couldn't always get.

The really shitty thing, is that so many customers don't seem to understand that being nice goes a loooong way. They hear the advice of "be firm and demand satisfaction" and confuse that with "be an asshole and demand satisfaction". You can be firm and be nice. The customers that have treated me nice have always gotten the best service I can offer.

I completely understand that there can be some confusion about online pricing versus in store pricing.  But I have no idea if that phone was the price she says it was 30 days (or more) ago.  And the return/exchange period is 14 days.  To honor that price, I would have had to refund and return the phone we sold, and then allow her to order the same phone online.  She would then have had to go to the company-owned CPMCI store (mine is a dealer) to pick up the online purchased phone. Would have had to be done within the 14 days.  She seemed to want either to just A) be mad and yell or B) have me give her $150 out of pocket.

If you go to the airport and buy a ticket on American Airlines to fly to Guam, do you then go back to the airport a month later and yell at the people there because you found out that the same flight was cheaper if you bought it on American airlines' website?

I don't know about your place, but I used to have US Cellular.  And the stores, even the corporate stores, did not honor the online price.  If the phone was a penny online and $200 in the store, you paid $200.  Or you could order it online for a penny.  

There's a way I could have helped her get a lower online price. But it isn't something we volunteer to do and it certainly never even occurred to me to look. I still have no idea what prompted her to come in after a month and demand satisfaction over something she should have complained about in the 14 day exchange period. I'm pretty much over it now and I don't expect, after the shouting at her by me, to ever see her again.
    theIllustriousDrGonzo
    theIllustriousDrGonzo

Post by theIllustriousDrGonzo Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:24 pm

rkwsuperstar wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:
    theIllustriousDrGonzo wrote:Hey guys. Long time no post. Things have been busy on my end since Labor day. I have some great news though. Botcon 2016 is happening on the same weekend as my birthday and it's here in Louisville. I talked to Luke and he's going to get me credentials to get in and cover it for the website. I'm pretty stoked about that. However, he also said I should go ahead and start pitching him list/article ideas in case they ask me for my byline at registration since I'm not published on the website yet..I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT TO WRITE ABOUT...I have plenty of time, but I'm still nervous. Not only will you guys see it, but everyone else will see it as well..and I can't for the life of me think of a list or anything to write about.....

I thought about that. I think it should be something I am interested in definitely. It's hard finding something that hasn't already been done.

there are some shows you like...you could do a list of the best or the top 5 or whatever.  What is that you watch with Timely...Queensblade?  Am I confusing this with something else?

Queensblade.
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:13 pm

rkwsuperstar wrote:

there are some shows you like...you could do a list of the best or the top 5 or whatever. What is that you watch with Timely...Queensblade? Am I confusing this with something else?
    NebulaJack
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

Post by NebulaJack Mon Sep 14, 2015 6:08 pm

rkwsuperstar wrote:

You could do a run down of 10 things they need to improve the show, or 5 things they got right and 5 areas where they need improvement.

Also, have you seen Gotham? You could do a list of things they should carry over into season 2 and things that should be dropped.
    theIllustriousDrGonzo
    theIllustriousDrGonzo

Post by theIllustriousDrGonzo Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:42 pm

rkwsuperstar wrote:

rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:23 pm

rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Mon Sep 14, 2015 5:18 pm

Good news, that's great for you.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content