TR Haunt

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
TR Haunt

Come hangout

+3
Sleverin
James.k.Polk
NebulaJack
7 posters

The New Year Approaches.

rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar
    Achieved rank by cheating

The New Year Approaches. - Page 12 Empty Re: The New Year Approaches.

Post by rkwsuperstar Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:24 pm

I made a comment on FB re: Star Wars prequels, a comment that Gonzo posted. That I didn't really hate Jar Jar and was more upset that Darth Maul died in the first prequel. This is Gallen's response to my comment. "Technically Darth Maul lives - the dark side kept him alive. Should still be alive in episode 7. As for Jar Jar, comedy exists to reset dramatic tension. Constant Jar Jar meant dramatic tension could never rise. Other than that nothing wrong with the character."
    So...Darth Maul is alive and we just never see him through 5 other movies? The emperor abandons him instead of putting him back together like he did Anakin? This also means that the emperor is not dead.
    kegs
    kegs
    Believes Timely and Gonzo are meant to be together

Post by kegs Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:23 pm

rkwsuperstar wrote:We have a new hire today.  He used to work for us, so he knows a lot of the people still here.  Which is great, but it's like he's here on a social visit.  Every time he leaves my office, to go to the bathroom or something, he's gone 20 or 30 minutes because he sees someone and they have a visit.  Then he comes back in and complains that the trainings "take forever."  Yea, they do.  And they take longer when you take multiple 20 minutes breaks.
    Keep a running timer. Make a pie chart.
    kegs
    kegs

Post by kegs Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:22 pm

NebulaJack wrote:
    Patch wrote:
    Sleverin wrote:
    Patch wrote:
    James.k.Polk wrote:

Also, seriously, am I the only one who has watched Fringe?  

I watched the first season and liked it. Then there was talk of it being canceled, and I figured it wouldn't be wrapped up, so I quit. I did find a couple of seasons on sell when Blockbuster went down, so I may have to try it again.

I applied my typical approach to anything cool, quirky and especially sci-fi that winds up on Fox. I'll wait until it's at least 3 season in before I watch it. My reason for this is not the same as most. I felt burned when they cancelled Firefly, but I was even more pissed (and I still am) about them canceling John Doe a few months later. John Doe was the other half of their Friday night line up during the same season they aired Firefly.

The premise was that a man wakes up naked, on an island in the pacific ocean, in the center of a circle of scorched earth. He has no memory of who he is, but he's scared of something. He runs into the ocean and is rescued by a fishing ship that drops him off in Seattle. This man, who takes the name John Doe discovers that he knows all sorts of useless trivia and valuable info, but nothing that relates to him personally. He sees in black and white, but occasionally will see things in color, which are usually important. He slowly uncovers a mystery plot surrounding people who know a lot more about his past while helping a police detective solve crimes.

When they gave Whedon's space western the boot, Fox let John Doe finish out it's season because it was way cheaper to produce. The season ended with a powerful moment that left me champing at the bit for more... which never came. That's why I'm glad Firefly was canceled when it was, instead of after a big season ending cliffhanger, but since then I don't get invest in most shows on Fox.

Did you hear the idea behind the show? (where he got his knowledge, his friend that barman, ect..) If not, do you want me to tell you?
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Tue Jan 12, 2016 1:20 pm

We have a new hire today. He used to work for us, so he knows a lot of the people still here. Which is great, but it's like he's here on a social visit. Every time he leaves my office, to go to the bathroom or something, he's gone 20 or 30 minutes because he sees someone and they have a visit. Then he comes back in and complains that the trainings "take forever." Yea, they do. And they take longer when you take multiple 20 minutes breaks.
    Patch
    Patch

Post by Patch Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:59 pm

NebulaJack wrote: That's why I'm glad Firefly was canceled when it was, instead of after a big season ending cliffhanger, but since then I don't get invest in most shows on Fox.

I remember when Firefly was on. I had a buddy who I worked with and he told me about it. One night I stopped over to see him and it was on. He said I had to watch it. I watched about 5 minutes and said "Space Cowboys. That's stupid." and left. I was single a the time, he was married, so sitting home on a Friday night was more his thing.

Then a few years later, I hear about Serenity. I don't even recall the Space Cowboy comment, or Firefly. It's Sci Fi and doesn't look bad so I figure I'll go see it. Then I forget about it.

Then I'm on a business trip to Spokane and it's golf day, before the conference. I didn't want to play (because I like golf, but suck at it) so I go to the movies. I see what's playing. History of Violence and Serenity are both about to start. Since I forgot about Serenity, and the name sounded like a chick flick, so I saw History of Violence.

The next year I'm fly back for the same conference. Golf day and I'm not playing again. I go for a walk around the lake. We stayed at a resort in Coeur d'Alene, ID. I get stung by a bee, so I go back up to my room and flip on the TV. Firefly is on. Jayne explains the chain of command and I'm hooked.

It took a long time to find it but it was worth it.
    NebulaJack
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

Post by NebulaJack Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:30 pm

Patch wrote:
    Sleverin wrote:
    Patch wrote:
    James.k.Polk wrote:

I watched the first season and liked it. Then there was talk of it being canceled, and I figured it wouldn't be wrapped up, so I quit. I did find a couple of seasons on sell when Blockbuster went down, so I may have to try it again.

I applied my typical approach to anything cool, quirky and especially sci-fi that winds up on Fox. I'll wait until it's at least 3 season in before I watch it. My reason for this is not the same as most. I felt burned when they cancelled Firefly, but I was even more pissed (and I still am) about them canceling John Doe a few months later. John Doe was the other half of their Friday night line up during the same season they aired Firefly.

The premise was that a man wakes up naked, on an island in the pacific ocean, in the center of a circle of scorched earth. He has no memory of who he is, but he's scared of something. He runs into the ocean and is rescued by a fishing ship that drops him off in Seattle. This man, who takes the name John Doe discovers that he knows all sorts of useless trivia and valuable info, but nothing that relates to him personally. He sees in black and white, but occasionally will see things in color, which are usually important. He slowly uncovers a mystery plot surrounding people who know a lot more about his past while helping a police detective solve crimes.

When they gave Whedon's space western the boot, Fox let John Doe finish out it's season because it was way cheaper to produce. The season ended with a powerful moment that left me champing at the bit for more... which never came. That's why I'm glad Firefly was canceled when it was, instead of after a big season ending cliffhanger, but since then I don't get invest in most shows on Fox.
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Tue Jan 12, 2016 10:59 am

Nebsy,

I lost your address. Send me a facebook messenger message and I will mail the unsecret santa stuff tomorrow from work.
    kegs
    kegs

Post by kegs Tue Jan 12, 2016 9:22 am

James.k.Polk wrote:
    Patch wrote:
    Sleverin wrote:
    Patch wrote:
    James.k.Polk wrote:

I only watched a tiny bit of Fringe. Oddly enough, my elderly mom was super into that show. I never saw her as a parallel universes kind of woman.

I watched it. Missed the final few episodes and for some reason couldn't be bothered to atch them after that.
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:51 am

Patch wrote:
    Sleverin wrote:
    Patch wrote:
    James.k.Polk wrote:

I only watched a tiny bit of Fringe. Oddly enough, my elderly mom was super into that show. I never saw her as a parallel universes kind of woman.
    Patch
    Patch

Post by Patch Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:39 am

[quote="Sleverin"][quote="Patch"]
    James.k.Polk wrote:

Patch
    Patch

Post by Patch Tue Jan 12, 2016 7:36 am

NebulaJack wrote:

That's one of many great jokes in the How It Should Have Ended videos that take on the various Star Wars movies. There's also a running gag of Vader getting super happy about finding out he's got kids.

Maybe I have seen it before. Like I said I had a couple of cold ones watching the game last night. I was pretty bored with it until the 4 quarter. Then it was a damn good game.
    NebulaJack
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

Post by NebulaJack Tue Jan 12, 2016 5:24 am

Gad dammit!

Having had to choose between a 3 day a week class that starts later in the afternoon, and a two day a week class that starts earlier enough that I have to drag my ass outta bed in the morning, but can at least have a full day off once a week was an easy "less evil to choose" kinda choice, but I'm gonna be drag ass tired tomorrow.
    Sleverin
    Sleverin
    Here for Keg girls
    Here for Keg girls

Post by Sleverin Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:27 pm

Patch wrote:
    James.k.Polk wrote:

Damn, Patch. Again you show better writing instincts than the guys in Hollywood.

If you go back and watch it you will see plenty of reasons why it makes sense. It's like they had the idea, then bailed on it.

Well, the writers admitted that after season one, they had zero plans with the story and were just running the show to get paychecks. They had only planned out one season and apparently didn't think to work on it in between seasons.

Also, seriously, am I the only one who has watched Fringe? I found out about the show because of Rob.

Another good show I found through TR was "The Fades". It really should have gotten picked up for another season. It was a fantastic concept and ended on a really badass cliffhanger.
    NebulaJack
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

Post by NebulaJack Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:40 pm

Patch wrote:When Lucas redid eposide vi to include young Vader's ghost smiling at Luke. Shouldn't there have been all the kid Jedi's he killed standing behind Vader flipping him off?
    I've had a couple of beers but it makes sense to me.

That's one of many great jokes in the How It Should Have Ended videos that take on the various Star Wars movies. There's also a running gag of Vader getting super happy about finding out he's got kids.
    Patch
    Patch

Post by Patch Mon Jan 11, 2016 8:36 pm

When Lucas redid eposide vi to include young Vader's ghost smiling at Luke. Shouldn't there have been all the kid Jedi's he killed standing behind Vader flipping him off?
    I've had a couple of beers but it makes sense to me.
    Patch
    Patch

Post by Patch Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:07 pm

James.k.Polk wrote:

Damn, Patch. Again you show better writing instincts than the guys in Hollywood.

If you go back and watch it you will see plenty of reasons why it makes sense. It's like they had the idea, then bailed on it.
    NebulaJack
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

Post by NebulaJack Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:31 pm

James.k.Polk wrote:
    NebulaJack wrote:There's a new poll up about Bowie, I might do the whole week about him, just because his loss leaves such a big hole in my mental landscape.

Also, I'm gonna bop on down to the Post Office later on today and see what the prices are for mailing out the belated not so secret santa stuff. By the way, Polk, did you send out your batch of stuff to me yet? Also, Arkay I'll need your address.

Mailing tomorrow. Once my foot started to ache I stopped doing anything besides going to work and sleeping.

Understandable. Also, if you could have instructions for someone to be required to sign for it (doesn't have to be me, just someone that answers the door) that'd probably be better. Last year my sister in law sent me something that never got to me, and I've been paranoid about thieves and such.
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:29 pm

NebulaJack wrote:There's a new poll up about Bowie, I might do the whole week about him, just because his loss leaves such a big hole in my mental landscape.

Also, I'm gonna bop on down to the Post Office later on today and see what the prices are for mailing out the belated not so secret santa stuff. By the way, Polk, did you send out your batch of stuff to me yet? Also, Arkay I'll need your address.

Mailing tomorrow. Once my foot started to ache I stopped doing anything besides going to work and sleeping.
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:54 pm

James.k.Polk wrote:
    Patch wrote:
    kegs wrote:

Battlestar Galactica was something like that but you could forgive the ending because the rest of the show was so amazing.

BSG was great and I think the ending would have worked better if

Spolier:

Angel Starbucks was an admission that they fucked up killing her character off. They had to find a way to bring her back, and never came up with a better answer for why she returned.
    Could it have been a dream?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=f8pdlITckBc#t=33
    NebulaJack
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

Post by NebulaJack Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:51 pm

There's a new poll up about Bowie, I might do the whole week about him, just because his loss leaves such a big hole in my mental landscape.

James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:49 pm

Patch wrote:
    kegs wrote:

Battlestar Galactica was something like that but you could forgive the ending because the rest of the show was so amazing.

Spolier:

Angel Starbucks was an admission that they fucked up killing her character off. They had to find a way to bring her back, and never came up with a better answer for why she returned.
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:42 pm

Patch wrote:
    kegs wrote:

Spolier:

But also remember that there was a writers strike in there somewhere and I'm sure that effed with their story outlines a bit.
    NebulaJack
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

Post by NebulaJack Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:38 pm

Wow, I missed a buncha stuff lately. Here's my catch up thoughts:

Patch, the key to Breaking Bad is that most of the sympathetic characters are the secondary ones getting their lives destroyed by Wally White, like his wife and son. If you're ver up for trying to get into it, watch the show for Jesse Pinkman's character arc. He goes from being a naive young man who gets in over his head, to someone trying his damnedest to redeem himself while being surrounded by people who want him to keep doing horrible things. his growth is far more satisfying than Walter's.

Mr. Robot sounds like the least interesting element of Fight Club mixed with that crapfest of a game called Watch_Dogs that Ubisoft released in a half finished form a few years back.

Arkay, the Christian Slater show you're thinking of is probably the one where he's an undercover agent who's part of a program where agents are given a second personality that is unaware of the truth, so that the can blend completely into the cover. He starts to catch on, and is basically having a battle of wits with himself. It was kinda cool, but died within a season or so.

On the whole Star Wars thing, I loved Episode III when I first saw it (except for that "NOOOO" bullshit at the end) and it's still the only one I cite as good upon further viewing. Eps I and II had their moments, but they don't come anywhere near VII, which while not being as good as the OG trilogy, is a damned good successor none the less.

Damn, if Gallen thought Interstellar was antievolution, he must really be stretching. It has a poor understanding of how evolution works, but
    seems pretty pro evo to me.

Gonzo, Sleverin, if you guys want to settle this like gentlemen, go grab some paint ball guns, some condoms and a jar of mayonaise to fill them with then meet on the field of honor.

The notion that Rey is a Kenobi would be even weaker sauce than her being a Skywalker. That would basically require shoe horning in a retconned wife or lover for Obi, and that would be really shitty.

Patch, Abrams had little to do with the latter seasons of Lost, or pretty much any show he's brought to TV. his standard MO is to start up a show, groom one or two writers to take over the reigns and then move onto the next thing.... which come to think of it, is his same MO with movies lately.

Lost was a spectacular failure of story telling that has some great performances and character beats. It's ultimate failing, is that after years of the show runners insisting that everything would have a scientific answer, for the final season they gave up and said "fuck it, it's all magic" and walked away. I loved the show, and was satisfied with the ending, but it still failed in their own stated goals. I feel like it should be essential viewing in classes for writing serialized fiction as it shows a great way to make the audience care about people and a lot of pit falls to avoid. The biggest lesson is "don't change course in order to give the fans what they claim they want." which is what happened when they introduced two minor characters in season 3 that fulfilled the fan outcry for seeing more of the 3rd stringer nobodies that survived the crash but never did anything. The audience hated them and were glad to see them die.

I haven't watched the remake of Battle Star Galactica, but I'll get around to it one of these days just because opinion are so split on the ending. Sopranos had the same thing, and I loved the finale.
    Patch
    Patch

Post by Patch Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:08 am

kegs wrote:

Spolier:
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Mon Jan 11, 2016 9:55 am

kegs wrote:
    Patch wrote:
    Sleverin wrote: (Lost is abysmal)

What? This is why you get banned. lol

I enjoyed Lost. There was no way they could have tied up all the plot lines they created and it did go off the rails from time to time, but I liked that it wasn't like anything else on TV at the time. There were so many imitators after that failed. I watched Surface, which I thought was great, but it was canceled. It got to the point I wouldn't invest the time in them because you knew they wouldn't last a season

Lost was really good up until
    spoiler:
    From that point on it was painful because you kept hoping they're be a big payoff at the end. A reward for all the time you spent watching. There was not. It was just a big stupid convoluted mess that they solved in the stupidest laziest of ways.

See th and ending of BSG didn't piss me off. There was a quasi-religious theme throughout the run of the show. Having both factions completely devastated, having to work together, and ending up on Earth made sense to me. Because in the end their differences would reemerge and we'd get a modern society where religious and political factions are still at each other's throats.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:44 am