TR Haunt

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
TR Haunt

Come hangout

+3
rkwsuperstar
kegs
James.k.Polk
7 posters

NebsyThread

Patch
    Patch
    Achieved rank by cheating

NebsyThread - Page 6 Empty Re: NebsyThread

Post by Patch Mon Mar 14, 2016 10:36 am

theIllustriousDrGonzo wrote:

You son of a....

Serious Gonzo and Slacker Gonzo are two different Gonzos...Thank you very much.

Honestly, I would give you a shot, but as I said, things have changed. I don't think you would like it. When I started as an installer, I could make 8-10K a month. It was in the 90's, new tech, so prices were through the roof. Once more competition came onto the scene the prices went down and in turn, the price of installs. It tanked in the early 2000's to the point we stayed away from those types of installs. So many companies, so many competitors. Eventually, most priced them self out of business. We have filled back in the void they left and still had good pricing to our techs, which I always have pushed for. My techs could still pull down 12-1500 per week. Then the owners brought in their son in law, and things changed. He has been pushing against tech wages, to increase the profits. Now guys struggle to clear 700-1000 per week. Which sounds like a decent starting wage, but they are on the road 4 weeks+ at a time and when they are off they don't make anything.
    I could go on but there is no point.
    NebulaJack wrote:

So, by "take a few ideas", do you mean your own that've been in yer head? Are yo6 looking for suggestions? If you got yo6r own notion and need a web desinger, graphic designer or a writer of site pages, let me know. I got some friends out here you could commission.

I may take you up on that. I assume unless things change, I will one day be a partner at our company. There is a lot of money we leave on the table, due to thinking too big. If I see an opportunity that could make us a quick 6K they would rather up sell it. Over complicate the process, include more scope than is needed and try to turn it into a 30K job. I get the mentality, but it usually prices us out of the deal.

My thought it to develop a consulting service. Do the leg work on my own time, my expense. See how valuable the service could be alongside our business. Then if I'm made partner, it rolls right into our catalog of services. If that doesn't pan out, I have a fallback plan for the future. I don't see it being an issue until I actually roll it out and try to make some money from it. Then it will probably put cross-hairs on my back at work.
    My boss is a great guy, truly one of the best people I know. He is generous, fair, and reasonable, until someone starts trying to do something outside of our company. I think he sees it as a betrayal. We had some long time employees that have done it in the past. Nothing they really made cash with, or effected how they did their jobs here, but they go on the "soon to be fired" list as soon as they do. So if I had my choice I would rather roll it in.

What I can't do is day after day, watch Son in Law, tear up what I have spent nearly 20 years helping build. I do my job and do it better than anyone. I'll continue to do it, but the passion has been sucked out of this place.
    NebulaJack
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

Post by NebulaJack Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:28 pm

James.k.Polk wrote:
    Sleverin wrote:
    James.k.Polk wrote:For Patch.

You describe a problem that's all around us these days.  My company... They find reasons to charge back sales reps so commissions earned end up being zeroed out.  For managers they just make sure the goals are high enough that you can't commission at all.  Meanwhile I'm at the mercy of people with no sales experience to approve phone orders, accessories,  etc.  I'm accountable to them but they're not accountable to me.

Now I'm to run two stores.  No raise,  no thank you bonus.  Just "if both stores hit numbers you get two bonuses."  neither store hit last month,  so....

Normally I'm the type of guy who says that as a worker, you need to set out the goals to get the work done and then follow those until the work gets done properly and that people who bitch about doing the work aren't going to get anywhere by doing a half assed job.  Of course, that only applies to direct causal work relationships (ie, moving boxes from the warehouse to the truck).  You can't blame the manager for not having enough customers come in the door, especially when you do goalpost moving in accordance to goals.  That doesn't make any sense.  Doing good sales when people come in is one thing, telling them to "make" sales but only just enough so that they can't make any money is really batshit insane and one of the biggest reasons I could never go into sales.  There are a plethora of reasons I would be fired from any corporate office job, and getting in their face about how bullshit their system is would probably be the first (or second...I'd make an off color joke and get hit with HR bullshit first).  
    Sorry they're doing this to you Polk.  I wish these people weren't such monsters when it came to work ethic, people like you deserve better.

Overall they're not a completely evil company to work for. It's just that Cell Phone Mining Corp Inc. the company whose services we peddle, has been offering "half price" plans to try to attract customers from other carriers.  While this has been moderately successful, it means that for every subscriber we sign up, there is less revenue to be shared among the carrier and the dealer.  Hence the commissions paid to sales representatives must, by necessity be adjusted downwards.

What has been bothering me is what I think have been unrealistically optimistic monthly sales targets coupled with a really shitty phone buyback process.  I have, or had, rather, a rep who was charged $300 of commissions because she bought back a couple of customer's phones that the processing company claims were damaged and not in buy-back condition.  No one can explain what was wrong with the phones she bought, no one will show us pictures of the damage.  It's just- "they were broken because we say they were broken..." and the person with the most to lose takes teh entire hit.

That representative has since quit her job. Now I needs train another.

A model like that is great for short term profit extraction, but miserable for long term value growth.
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:11 pm

Sleverin wrote:

You describe a problem that's all around us these days.  My company... They find reasons to charge back sales reps so commissions earned end up being zeroed out.  For managers they just make sure the goals are high enough that you can't commission at all.  Meanwhile I'm at the mercy of people with no sales experience to approve phone orders, accessories,  etc.  I'm accountable to them but they're not accountable to me.

Now I'm to run two stores.  No raise,  no thank you bonus.  Just "if both stores hit numbers you get two bonuses."  neither store hit last month,  so....

Normally I'm the type of guy who says that as a worker, you need to set out the goals to get the work done and then follow those until the work gets done properly and that people who bitch about doing the work aren't going to get anywhere by doing a half assed job.  Of course, that only applies to direct causal work relationships (ie, moving boxes from the warehouse to the truck).  You can't blame the manager for not having enough customers come in the door, especially when you do goalpost moving in accordance to goals.  That doesn't make any sense.  Doing good sales when people come in is one thing, telling them to "make" sales but only just enough so that they can't make any money is really batshit insane and one of the biggest reasons I could never go into sales.  There are a plethora of reasons I would be fired from any corporate office job, and getting in their face about how bullshit their system is would probably be the first (or second...I'd make an off color joke and get hit with HR bullshit first).  
    Sorry they're doing this to you Polk.  I wish these people weren't such monsters when it came to work ethic, people like you deserve better.

Overall they're not a completely evil company to work for. It's just that Cell Phone Mining Corp Inc. the company whose services we peddle, has been offering "half price" plans to try to attract customers from other carriers. While this has been moderately successful, it means that for every subscriber we sign up, there is less revenue to be shared among the carrier and the dealer. Hence the commissions paid to sales representatives must, by necessity be adjusted downwards.

What has been bothering me is what I think have been unrealistically optimistic monthly sales targets coupled with a really shitty phone buyback process. I have, or had, rather, a rep who was charged $300 of commissions because she bought back a couple of customer's phones that the processing company claims were damaged and not in buy-back condition. No one can explain what was wrong with the phones she bought, no one will show us pictures of the damage. It's just- "they were broken because we say they were broken..." and the person with the most to lose takes teh entire hit.

That representative has since quit her job. Now I needs train another.
    NebulaJack
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

Post by NebulaJack Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:45 am

That took awhile, but it was totally worth it.
    NebulaJack
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

Post by NebulaJack Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:34 am

Here's some stuff and things for Arkay:

NebsyThread - Page 6 Andrew11

NebsyThread - Page 6 Bale111

NebsyThread - Page 6 Benedi11

NebsyThread - Page 6 Evans110

NebsyThread - Page 6 Evans210

NebsyThread - Page 6 Evans310

NebsyThread - Page 6 Garfie10

NebsyThread - Page 6 Hemswo11

NebsyThread - Page 6 Hemswo10

NebsyThread - Page 6 Momoa11

NebsyThread - Page 6 Kwante10

NebsyThread - Page 6 Kwante14

NebsyThread - Page 6 Kwante15

NebsyThread - Page 6 Marsde10

NebsyThread - Page 6 Matt_s10

NebsyThread - Page 6 Momoa11
    NebulaJack
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

NebsyThread - Page 6 Empty Is anyone seeing this?

Post by NebulaJack Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:44 pm

Sleverin wrote:

I've probably told this tale before, but when I worked at the Shitty Call Center in 2013 and 2014, I was interviewed for a customer service position and hired as a customer service rep (CSR). After training, I was on the floor for a month before the "optional" sales aspect became mandatory. Then came the sales quota. Then they stopped using "How Happy is the customer with your service?" as a metric of job performance, and only focused on "How much does the customer like Asshole Telecom Telecraft?" to rate job performance.

Then they started telling us to avoid saying or asking anything that might influence the customer to give a higher rating to Asshole Telecom Telecraft. For example, asking "How can I make your experience with Asshole Telecom Telecraft more enjoyable?" was a no no. When I ask most people, what they think would be a bad score on a 1-10 scale, they think 5/6 or lower. Nope. Try 7 or 8. Yes... 8. 8/10 was a bad score that would get me in trouble, because fuck CSRs. I wasn't a CSR, I was Sales Rep/PR Rep, getting paid the wages of a CSR without being evaluated as one.

When I got fired, and to my regret tried to talk my way out of it, I put in a claim for unemployment. Shitty Call Center tried to fight it, because Asshole Telecom Telecraft would probably be pissed if that caught on as a thing that could happen (as a side note, I heard people in the break room openly discussing the Unemployment Application process while at work, this should always be considered a bad sign). One phone call resulted in a state employee telling me "I'm legally barred from making or implying any promises to you. At this point however, I am legally allowed to say, that based on what you've told me, I currently see no reason why your claim should not be approved." A week later, I got the claim approved.

Fuck Corporate US.
    Sleverin
    Sleverin
    Here for Keg girls
    Here for Keg girls

Post by Sleverin Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:53 pm

Normally I'm the type of guy who says that as a worker, you need to set out the goals to get the work done and then follow those until the work gets done properly and that people who bitch about doing the work aren't going to get anywhere by doing a half assed job. Of course, that only applies to direct causal work relationships (ie, moving boxes from the warehouse to the truck). You can't blame the manager for not having enough customers come in the door, especially when you do goalpost moving in accordance to goals. That doesn't make any sense. Doing good sales when people come in is one thing, telling them to "make" sales but only just enough so that they can't make any money is really batshit insane and one of the biggest reasons I could never go into sales. There are a plethora of reasons I would be fired from any corporate office job, and getting in their face about how bullshit their system is would probably be the first (or second...I'd make an off color joke and get hit with HR bullshit first).
    Sorry they're doing this to you Polk. I wish these people weren't such monsters when it came to work ethic, people like you deserve better.
    theIllustriousDrGonzo
    theIllustriousDrGonzo
    Believes Timely and Gonzo are meant to be together

Post by theIllustriousDrGonzo Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:11 pm

NebulaJack wrote:
    theIllustriousDrGonzo wrote:good morning. good morning. I have a birthday party for my 10 year old cousin today around four thirty. He likes Star Wars so I am buying him Marvel stuff, then heading out to see the Who at the KFC yum center. I might even drive by the St. Paddies day parade in the Highlands and slap some drunk college girl booty as I drive by. I have not decided yet....

Hm... weird. A dear friend's sister (who's also a great friend) has a daughter turning 8 today and I'm meant to attend the party after work.

https://i.servimg.com/u/f84/19/24/66/24/hu92y310.gif
    NebulaJack
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

Post by NebulaJack Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:58 am

theIllustriousDrGonzo wrote:good morning. good morning. I have a birthday party for my 10 year old cousin today around four thirty. He likes Star Wars so I am buying him Marvel stuff, then heading out to see the Who at the KFC yum center. I might even drive by the St. Paddies day parade in the Highlands and slap some drunk college girl booty as I drive by. I have not decided yet....

Hm... weird. A dear friend's sister (who's also a great friend) has a daughter turning 8 today and I'm meant to attend the party after work.
    theIllustriousDrGonzo
    theIllustriousDrGonzo

Post by theIllustriousDrGonzo Sat Mar 12, 2016 9:59 am

good morning. good morning. I have a birthday party for my 10 year old cousin today around four thirty. He likes Star Wars so I am buying him Marvel stuff, then heading out to see the Who at the KFC yum center. I might even drive by the St. Paddies day parade in the Highlands and slap some drunk college girl booty as I drive by. I have not decided yet....
    NebulaJack
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

Post by NebulaJack Sat Mar 12, 2016 8:05 am

James.k.Polk wrote:Land of the Lost: Worst Episode Ever.

Chaka is bitten by a magic beetle that makes him evil.  He wrecks up the Marshall family's lair, leads Grumpy the tyrannosaur to attack the family, etc.

The fucking Sleestak talk.  Not just in the library of skull, all the damn time. And suddenly the Sleestak run like little girls.

bleargh.

Every few years, it seems like someone tries to remake that show into a new show or movie, with good special effects and better writing. That kinda misses the point of the show.

I'd love to see someone with a piss poor budget, and a medium ranged writing staff passionately try to remake the show as close to the same style as the original.
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Sat Mar 12, 2016 7:02 am

Land of the Lost: Worst Episode Ever.

Chaka is bitten by a magic beetle that makes him evil. He wrecks up the Marshall family's lair, leads Grumpy the tyrannosaur to attack the family, etc.

The fucking Sleestak talk. Not just in the library of skull, all the damn time. And suddenly the Sleestak run like little girls.

bleargh.
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:33 pm

For Patch.

You describe a problem that's all around us these days. My company... They find reasons to charge back sales reps so commissions earned end up being zeroed out. For managers they just make sure the goals are high enough that you can't commission at all. Meanwhile I'm at the mercy of people with no sales experience to approve phone orders, accessories, etc. I'm accountable to them but they're not accountable to me.

Now I'm to run two stores. No raise, no thank you bonus. Just "if both stores hit numbers you get two bonuses." neither store hit last month, so....
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:28 pm

rkwsuperstar wrote:
    Patch wrote:

Fire someone and hire me.

Didn't I mention I'm tired of slackers Laughing Laughing Laughing

You son of a....

Slacker Gonzo
    NebsyThread - Page 6 IqNCOmD

Serious Gonzo
    NebsyThread - Page 6 6yKwUj8

You'll always be Ozne to me.
    NebulaJack
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

Post by NebulaJack Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:00 pm

Patch wrote:Morning all. How's things?

I've been giving serious thought to starting a side business. Something to get excited about. My job has been great for years, but we have had a lot of changes lately.

We have people who work here and this is a job. They go home and forget all about this place. Quitting time is as regular as punching a clock. They have been here for a long time, so their salaries have climb to the highest rate. Meanwhile, I had 8 hours in before noon yesterday, worked until 12:30 am the day before that.

I'm a director so I have to answer for everything that goes on around here, but because of how we are set up, certain people don't report to me and are not under my supervision. When they don't do their jobs, I have to spend hours bailing them out. It's getting to be a weekly thing.

Add to that the high salaries for the "Job, not career" bunch, has drove our overhead through the roof. Rather than take a the tough road and possibly let go some of these overpaid slackers and replace them for half the cost, they are cutting techs in the field.  That's is where the money is made. It's making it hard to find people willing to go do the work. It's not like we are going to shut our doors over it. We are still profitable, it just less than it use to be because of the slackers.

So I'm going to take a few ideas, and see which have some legs. I get 3 weeks vacation a year and usually only take one. So I could take some time off to build a client base.

So, by "take a few ideas", do you mean your own that've been in yer head? Are yo6 looking for suggestions? If you got yo6r own notion and need a web desinger, graphic designer or a writer of site pages, let me know. I got some friends out here you could commission.
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:58 pm

Patch wrote:

You son of a....

Slacker Gonzo
    NebsyThread - Page 6 IqNCOmD

Serious Gonzo
    NebsyThread - Page 6 6yKwUj8
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:52 pm

Patch wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:

Good luck to you.

I might just treat it as a practice run. Get some things in place. Get a website, document processes and such. Doesn't hurt to have a plan B on stand by

I've been watching Magic Mike. Not all of it. I couldn't get through the entire movie, either of them. But may I suggest male entertainers?

Matthew McConaghey just walked about in a variety of robes saying "al'right al'right al'right" all the time. Seems an easy job.
    theIllustriousDrGonzo
    theIllustriousDrGonzo

Post by theIllustriousDrGonzo Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:49 pm

Patch wrote:

You son of a....

Patch
    Patch

Post by Patch Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:47 pm

rkwsuperstar wrote:

Good luck to you.

I might just treat it as a practice run. Get some things in place. Get a website, document processes and such. Doesn't hurt to have a plan B on stand by
    Patch
    Patch

Post by Patch Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:45 pm

theIllustriousDrGonzo
    theIllustriousDrGonzo

Post by theIllustriousDrGonzo Fri Mar 11, 2016 12:22 pm

I've been giving serious thought to starting a side business. Something to get excited about. My job has been great for years, but we have had a lot of changes lately.

We have people who work here and this is a job. They go home and forget all about this place. Quitting time is as regular as punching a clock. They have been here for a long time, so their salaries have climb to the highest rate. Meanwhile, I had 8 hours in before noon yesterday, worked until 12:30 am the day before that.

I'm a director so I have to answer for everything that goes on around here, but because of how we are set up, certain people don't report to me and are not under my supervision. When they don't do their jobs, I have to spend hours bailing them out. It's getting to be a weekly thing.

Add to that the high salaries for the "Job, not career" bunch, has drove our overhead through the roof. Rather than take a the tough road and possibly let go some of these overpaid slackers and replace them for half the cost, they are cutting techs in the field.  That's is where the money is made. It's making it hard to find people willing to go do the work. It's not like we are going to shut our doors over it. We are still profitable, it just less than it use to be because of the slackers.

So I'm going to take a few ideas, and see which have some legs. I get 3 weeks vacation a year and usually only take one. So I could take some time off to build a client base.

rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:47 am

Good luck to you.
    Patch
    Patch

Post by Patch Fri Mar 11, 2016 11:24 am

Morning all. How's things?

Add to that the high salaries for the "Job, not career" bunch, has drove our overhead through the roof. Rather than take a the tough road and possibly let go some of these overpaid slackers and replace them for half the cost, they are cutting techs in the field. That's is where the money is made. It's making it hard to find people willing to go do the work. It's not like we are going to shut our doors over it. We are still profitable, it just less than it use to be because of the slackers.

NebulaJack
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

Post by NebulaJack Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:45 am

I got four polls up today, trying something new and wacky. Let me know what y'all think. I've been too busy to talk much lately, but this has been one of the best weeks of my life. I'll tell you guys about it in the next few days or so.
    NebulaJack
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

Post by NebulaJack Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:09 am

James.k.Polk wrote:
    kegs wrote:
    James.k.Polk wrote:Nebsy suggested we create a new thread and the action on the last thread seems to be waning.

So here's the Nebsythread.

What kind of action are we looking for?
    NebsyThread - Page 6 Tumblr_njslseSR101s2wio8o1_500

This works.

"THE BOY WONDER IS GROWING TIRED OF WAITING FOR HIS MENTOR TO INITIATE THEIR SESSION OF 'ESCAPE TRAINING' AND IS STARTING TO WORRY. COULD SOMETHING HAVE HAPPENED TO THE CAPED CRUSADE? WILL ROBIN BE ABLE TO 'FIND REALSE' ON HIS OWN? AND WHERE THE HECK IS BATGIRL RIGHT NOW? TUNE IN TOMORROW TO FIND OUT, SAME BAT TIME, SAME BAT CHANNEL!"

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:57 am