TR Haunt

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
TR Haunt

Come hangout

2 posters

Poll 11-11-15 Gratitude and Veterans

Poll

Which veterans of military service are you grateful for knowing or having known?

[ 1 ]
    Poll 11-11-15 Gratitude and Veterans Bar_left50%Poll 11-11-15 Gratitude and Veterans Bar_right [50%] 
    [ 1 ]
    Poll 11-11-15 Gratitude and Veterans Bar_left50%Poll 11-11-15 Gratitude and Veterans Bar_right [50%] 

Total Votes: 2
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar
    Achieved rank by cheating
    Achieved rank by cheating

Poll 11-11-15 Gratitude and Veterans Empty Re: Poll 11-11-15 Gratitude and Veterans

Post by rkwsuperstar Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:11 pm

So many in my family. My brother and dad-marines. One grandpa in the army, the other and my grandmother were civilian somethings. Now I can't think of the title, but they were non-military but they were air force plane mechanics in the USA during WWII. That's how they met. My grandmother worked on the wheels. Smile I have uncles and cousins filling in all the other branches of the military. I have friends in the army and air force.
    NebulaJack
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

Poll 11-11-15 Gratitude and Veterans Empty Poll 11-11-15 Gratitude and Veterans

Post by NebulaJack Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:02 pm

My original intent was to make a poll about places for today, so as to fit more with the theme going through this weeks questions, then I recalled that it's veterans day.

It's a weird day for me, because my brother and I are part of the first generation of the Basore family in living memory that hasn't included any veterans. There's been Basore's in the military going back to at least the Civil War... in fact, from what I've been told, I'm eligible for membership in both The Sons of the Confederacy and The Sons of the Union (or whatever the name is for the group of descendants for people who fought with the North) by virtue of the same ancestor, who was apparently smart enough to see which way the wind was blowing and left the Confederate army to join the Union Army. Military service is also common on my mom's side of the family. Both of my grandfathers served during the '40s.

I'm grateful for my family's service, but sometimes I feel weird that neither me or Andy went into either branch of the military. Fortunately, my Dad never expected that of us. In fact, when I tried to join up with the Navy after failing High School, he knew it was a mistake before I did. I'm glad things fell apart on that, because I'm just not cut out for it.

I miss my grampas Max and Don. Along with my Dad and My Uncle, they're the coolest veterans I've ever known.

Current date/time is Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:11 am