TR Haunt

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
TR Haunt

Come hangout

+3
kegs
NebulaJack
Patch
7 posters

Thankful Thanksgiving

rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar
    Achieved rank by cheating

Thankful Thanksgiving - Page 3 Empty Re: Thankful Thanksgiving

Post by rkwsuperstar Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:35 pm

I'm really starting to work myself up-still not response from anyone else in my group. Not even from the guy who posted his own message saying he'd be on at noon to check for responses.

I need to calm myself down. I'll be submitting something even if it's on my own, so we'll get graded, so I shouldn't worry about that. But damn. I'm all worked up about and the other 3 aren't even worried.
    NebulaJack
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

Post by NebulaJack Mon Nov 23, 2015 4:15 pm

rkwsuperstar wrote:
    NebulaJack wrote:Some further, non-spoilery thoughts on Jessica Jones.

It's visually the best adaptation Marvel's ever done, and not just because of the casting. The cinematograpy and the color palette look exactly like the work of Michael Gaydos (The Artist from Alias, which is the comic the show's based on). It's got a mix of cool scenes with splashes of warm color that caught my room mate's eye immediately. He commented on it two or three times at least.

I like what they've done with Purple Man. His skin isn't purple, which makes sense because expecting it to not come off as goofy would be asking a bit much from TV audiences. Every scene he's in though, has a purple palette that translates well.

Netflix/Marvel have really done themselves a favor by bringing in Luke Cage like they have. They're now a step ahead on casting for the next show, and were likely able to get some stuff filmed for that while working on this.

Speaking of Marvel moves, now that Sony is playing ball with them in regards to Spidey, and they've cast a virtually unknown kid as the new Peter Parker, someone who can't command nearly the size of paycheck as guys like Chris Evans and Robert Downey Jr., they could easily get Spidey to show up on one of these shows without breaking the bank on casting, or the special effect budget. This means, we could finally get a chance to see Spider-man Vs Kingpin in live action.

RDJ...he's got so much damn money, it would be great if he would cameo on Avengers or something, for free.  He seems like a good guy that would probably do that, but then again, he might be a jackass.

I know Sam Jackson has shown up a few times on Agents of SHIELD, so seeing Robert Downey Jr. in the Netflix shows isn't unthinkable. I'td probably be in the second season of one of the shows, since they're trying to establish the characters with each first season.
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:39 am

NebulaJack wrote:Some further, non-spoilery thoughts on Jessica Jones.

It's visually the best adaptation Marvel's ever done, and not just because of the casting. The cinematograpy and the color palette look exactly like the work of Michael Gaydos (The Artist from Alias, which is the comic the show's based on). It's got a mix of cool scenes with splashes of warm color that caught my room mate's eye immediately. He commented on it two or three times at least.

I like what they've done with Purple Man. His skin isn't purple, which makes sense because expecting it to not come off as goofy would be asking a bit much from TV audiences. Every scene he's in though, has a purple palette that translates well.

Netflix/Marvel have really done themselves a favor by bringing in Luke Cage like they have. They're now a step ahead on casting for the next show, and were likely able to get some stuff filmed for that while working on this.

Speaking of Marvel moves, now that Sony is playing ball with them in regards to Spidey, and they've cast a virtually unknown kid as the new Peter Parker, someone who can't command nearly the size of paycheck as guys like Chris Evans and Robert Downey Jr., they could easily get Spidey to show up on one of these shows without breaking the bank on casting, or the special effect budget. This means, we could finally get a chance to see Spider-man Vs Kingpin in live action.

RDJ...he's got so much damn money, it would be great if he would cameo on Avengers or something, for free. He seems like a good guy that would probably do that, but then again, he might be a jackass.
    NebulaJack
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

Post by NebulaJack Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:24 am

Some further, non-spoilery thoughts on Jessica Jones.

NebulaJack
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

Post by NebulaJack Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:16 am

rkwsuperstar wrote:
    James.k.Polk wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:I'm taking 2 classes this semester.  My Managerial Finance class has a project...it's a freaking GROUP project and I freaking hate those.  It has been a rare occasion that I've done a group project and received equal help from my partner(s).  This is even worse, because we don't know anyone, it's all online.  The professor assigned the groups, and we have to use a discussion board to discuss the project, all that.  I've been there every day this week (this assignment went up last Monday) and not one damn soul has responded.  Part 1 is due today at 11:55 p.m.  We have to pick 10 stocks to monitor, and then pick one of those 10 to write a research paper on, do a damn powerpoint, ugh.  I had decided that I was going to just pick it, and send it in around 9 tonight if I don't hear from anyone, and message the professor what happened, in case someone else in the project submitted something.  I checked the message board just now, some ass in the group posted, a brand new message, completely ignoring all the ones I posted, and acted like he was the first to arrive, contributed nothing and said he'd check back later to see if anyone else showed up.  

Group projects are the devil.

I remember group projects. Everyone had to contribute a section to a large paper/presentation. At least two of the participants had such poor writing skills I'd have to *try* to edit their sections into something readable without hurting their feelings by scrapping the whole thing and redoing it from scratch.

I gues the theory is that group projects help you get used to a collaborative business environment, but I've never been tasked with creating part of something by corporate. I'm sure Patch has different perspective on that though.

Thankful Thanksgiving - Page 3 9Ar6c2I

Yes, I'm sure it's about learning to work together.  But it's crap.  All you learn is that your partners are lazy assholes.  And if you are the lazy asshole, you learn nothing, because your group did the work so you wouldn't fail.  That's how this is.  We all get the same grade, regardless of shared work.  I guess it's teaching us that you'll have to carry your coworkers.

There's technically an important skill you learn in those projects, which is how to handle shit going wrong. People learn how to deal with shitty project team members, either by covering for them, reporting their shoddy work habits, or renegotiating with the boss to make it a solo project.

Best luck.
    NebulaJack
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

Post by NebulaJack Mon Nov 23, 2015 9:13 am

James.k.Polk wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:
    Patch wrote:Watched the first episode of Jessica Jones. It's slow at first but pays off big at the end.

That's on Netflix, right?

You're welcome to use my Netflix user name and password.

Mostly all I use it for is playing the Futurama lullaby when it's time for bed.

One of my room mates does that. She'll put netflix on her computer, and very often it's Futurama, and she'll let it run as she drift off to sleep.

I used to fall asleep listening to music, like a little boombox or something. I had much better dreams back then. Maybe I'll give it a try with that purple speaker doohicky you sent me for christmas last year. I've been getting a lot of use out of it lately. It helps me run down the battery on my iPod so I can plug it in for a full recharge the night before a long sign shift. There's noting quite as frustrating as having 3 hours of battery life on a 5 hour shift.
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:51 am

James.k.Polk wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:I'm taking 2 classes this semester.  My Managerial Finance class has a project...it's a freaking GROUP project and I freaking hate those.  It has been a rare occasion that I've done a group project and received equal help from my partner(s).  This is even worse, because we don't know anyone, it's all online.  The professor assigned the groups, and we have to use a discussion board to discuss the project, all that.  I've been there every day this week (this assignment went up last Monday) and not one damn soul has responded.  Part 1 is due today at 11:55 p.m.  We have to pick 10 stocks to monitor, and then pick one of those 10 to write a research paper on, do a damn powerpoint, ugh.  I had decided that I was going to just pick it, and send it in around 9 tonight if I don't hear from anyone, and message the professor what happened, in case someone else in the project submitted something.  I checked the message board just now, some ass in the group posted, a brand new message, completely ignoring all the ones I posted, and acted like he was the first to arrive, contributed nothing and said he'd check back later to see if anyone else showed up.  

I remember group projects. Everyone had to contribute a section to a large paper/presentation. At least two of the participants had such poor writing skills I'd have to *try* to edit their sections into something readable without hurting their feelings by scrapping the whole thing and redoing it from scratch.

I gues the theory is that group projects help you get used to a collaborative business environment, but I've never been tasked with creating part of something by corporate. I'm sure Patch has different perspective on that though.

Yes, I'm sure it's about learning to work together. But it's crap. All you learn is that your partners are lazy assholes. And if you are the lazy asshole, you learn nothing, because your group did the work so you wouldn't fail. That's how this is. We all get the same grade, regardless of shared work. I guess it's teaching us that you'll have to carry your coworkers.
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:48 am

James.k.Polk wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:
    Patch wrote:Watched the first episode of Jessica Jones. It's slow at first but pays off big at the end.

Thank you. I might take you up on it later, but I've got so many shows to catch up on already.
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:48 am

rkwsuperstar wrote:

James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:44 am

rkwsuperstar wrote:

rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:43 am

rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:41 am

I'm taking 2 classes this semester. My Managerial Finance class has a project...it's a freaking GROUP project and I freaking hate those. It has been a rare occasion that I've done a group project and received equal help from my partner(s). This is even worse, because we don't know anyone, it's all online. The professor assigned the groups, and we have to use a discussion board to discuss the project, all that. I've been there every day this week (this assignment went up last Monday) and not one damn soul has responded. Part 1 is due today at 11:55 p.m. We have to pick 10 stocks to monitor, and then pick one of those 10 to write a research paper on, do a damn powerpoint, ugh. I had decided that I was going to just pick it, and send it in around 9 tonight if I don't hear from anyone, and message the professor what happened, in case someone else in the project submitted something. I checked the message board just now, some ass in the group posted, a brand new message, completely ignoring all the ones I posted, and acted like he was the first to arrive, contributed nothing and said he'd check back later to see if anyone else showed up.

NebulaJack
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

Post by NebulaJack Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:31 am

rkwsuperstar wrote:

Yeah, it's part of a deal that Marvel worked out with Netflix for 4 shows that'll build up to a miniseries called The Defenders.
    NebulaJack
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

Post by NebulaJack Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:29 am

Patch wrote:
    NebulaJack wrote:[

OH SHIT! I forgot that was today! Thanks for the reminder Patch!

I came down with a bug yesterday that kicked my butt. On the bright side, I had an excuse to lay around and watch more Jessica Jones. I am about half way through, and I like it. I never was a fan of JJ on the comics, so I wasn't expecting to enjoy it as much as I have. It's dark, darker than Daredevil, but it works. There are small flashbacks, to happier times, that really sell how the Purple man has screwed up JJ's head.

I will add the sex scenes are hot. For no nudity allowed, they top anything you would run across on Skinimax.

Unless it takes a turn on the back half, it will be a solid new series for Netflix.

Finally got around to watching the first episode yesternight. My roommate had to get to bed early because he's got a morning class, so when it ended I said "I don't feel like watching another one right away, but I'm hooked." His response was "I kinda wanna see what happens next right away." So we watched the second episode. Great stuff so far.

Also, the naming convention for the episodes really makes me wish they'd stuck with the original title of AKA Jessica Jones.

Also, Also, the Netflix approach makes me think that the day will eventually come when future generations find the idea that TV Shows used to be released on episode at a time, instead of one season at a time to be really weird and hard to grasp.
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:27 am

NebulaJack
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

Post by NebulaJack Mon Nov 23, 2015 8:19 am

Patch wrote:
    NebulaJack wrote:

My biggest dread now, is when the inevitable car crash happens, I'll get dirty looks for laughing my ass off.

I have to agree with the studies. I was on the phone a few month ago coming back from the airport. It was a long call and when it was over, I hung up the phone and looked around, shocked that I was that close to home. There were several red lights on the road I was traveling, that I don't recall seeing, much less what color the light may have been when I went through them. It was an eye opener for me. I limit my phone time to short call now.

I recall seeing a news report years ago that cited studies showing that car wrecks weren't reduced by much in states that passed laws against talking on cell phones without a hands free set. It turned out that the distraction of talking while driving was a bigger impediment than having one hand off the wheel.
    Patch
    Patch

Post by Patch Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:40 am

NebulaJack wrote:

My biggest dread now, is when the inevitable car crash happens, I'll get dirty looks for laughing my ass off.

I have to agree with the studies. I was on the phone a few month ago coming back from the airport. It was a long call and when it was over, I hung up the phone and looked around, shocked that I was that close to home. There were several red lights on the road I was traveling, that I don't recall seeing, much less what color the light may have been when I went through them. It was an eye opener for me. I limit my phone time to short call now.
    Patch
    Patch

Post by Patch Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:36 am

NebulaJack wrote:[

I came down with a bug yesterday that kicked my butt. On the bright side, I had an excuse to lay around and watch more Jessica Jones. I am about half way through, and I like it. I never was a fan of JJ on the comics, so I wasn't expecting to enjoy it as much as I have. It's dark, darker than Daredevil, but it works. There are small flashbacks, to happier times, that really sell how the Purple man has screwed up JJ's head.

I will add the sex scenes are hot. For no nudity allowed, they top anything you would run across on Skinimax.

Unless it takes a turn on the back half, it will be a solid new series for Netflix.
    NebulaJack
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

Post by NebulaJack Mon Nov 23, 2015 5:04 am

I guess it's my turn to fire off a work rant.

The Sign shifts have been interesting the last couple of days.

I saw a truck with stickers all over the front bumper with stuff like Endless THIS War! and other trie liberal slogans that make me think "Nice way to be a walking stereotype there." It was still something mildly interesting to pass an idle moment with, and I wondered "if she's got that stuff on the front, I can't wait to see what she put on the back bumper"... which was nothing. NOTHING! Seriously, who the fuck puts bumper stickers only on the front of the vehicle?

It was a good relief from boredom, which I kind of need with the shitty coldness lately, speaking of which...

I came up with a game to keep boredom at bay. I'll look at the hub caps of two different cars and count the spokes. If the numbers are sequential, I'll pick another pair. Once I've got two non-sequential numbers (like say, 5 and 9) the goal is to fill in the middle (6,7,Cool before the sides get filled out (4 and 10). Depending on the difficulty of the middle numbers vs the outer numbers I'll assign a point value from 1 to 3. If I box it in, I get the points. If I get boxed out, I lose the points. I'll even add a tricky element where if the numbers get boxed out in an unbalanced way (like if I spot a 3 and a 4 before spotting a 10) every unbalance number subtracts 1 point x the points I'd get for filling in the middle.

I'm both impressed by my and saddened that I work a job this boring. Then again, boring can be a good thing...

The inevitable moment where I'll someday have to be a witness for an auto accident got very close to happening the other night. This jack off cut a hard left into the shopping center and almost got hit by a guy who was turning into the same lane from the opposite side of the stop light. So he honks at the guy who almost hit him and gives him the finger... as though the sign in front of his stoplight which read "LEFT TURN YIELD ON GREEN" had absolutely no bearing on the situation.

I see this kinda shit way too often. People in a fucking hurry to get into the shopping center, get from one part of the center to another, get from one stop light, to another stop light a couple hundred feet away, or go along the road in the other direction, and they can't be arsed to bother with basic fucking precautions.

James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:36 am

Land of the Lost: Nice Day

Chaka just doing Chaka stuff. Walks up on a plant with a big seed pod. Pod opens, drops what looks to be a cat's ribcage. Chaka runs away.

Will's made himself a fishing pole and doesn't want to let Holly come fishing with him. He's kind of an asshole.

Oh sure... Holly's not allowed to go fishing with Will, but as soon as he runs into Chaka it's all "hey buddy come fishing with me!"

Will's fishing pole looks like Fred Flintstone made it.
    NebulaJack
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

Post by NebulaJack Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:29 pm

Patch
    Patch

Post by Patch Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:27 pm

Watched the first episode of Jessica Jones. It's slow at first but pays off big at the end.
    NebulaJack
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

Post by NebulaJack Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:29 pm

James.k.Polk wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:
    NebulaJack wrote:
    James.k.Polk wrote:My turn to work rant.

A person brought in a phone today that had impact damage-- a concentrated area of broken glass. It looked like someone wearing heels had stepped on the phone or someone hit it with a ball peen hammer.

Ordinarily we do not work on such phones.  we help the customer pay the insurance deductible and the replacement phone is sent fedex the next business day.  This phone would not light up.

My sales/tech guy was helping the customer prepare the insurance claim.  In this case it was going to require an affidavit. Sometimes the Ins. company wants the customer to verify their ID...

After he fills out the required paperwork the customer decides she doesn't want to pay the deductible.  Against policy, the rep decides to take the phone apart to see if he can get it to power on.  Maybe a connector is loose, who knows?  He has the phone taken apart before I catch wind of what is going on.  I chastise the guy because I know that trying to help a customer in this situation is not in our best interest.  I inform him that this customer is guaranteed to try to punish him for having tried to help.

He puts the phone back together and  miraculously enough, it powers on and works.  he's delighted and takes the phone out to the floor to return it to the customer.

At this point the husband is also in the store.  He is now loudly complaining about this process.  My rep asks me to intercede because the husband is asking for a manager.

I ask what's wrong.  his complaint as far as I can tell, is that the repair took xxxx amount of time, and that we shouldn't have filled out the insurance paperwork and THEN tried to repair.

I tell him my rep was trying to go over and above to help his wife and I don't understand why he is upset.

He says he is not upset, but that we were wrong to do what we did before doing the other thing we did.

I explain that physical damage requires the insurance claim and that my rep was actually doing well beyond what he needed to do to help.  The phone, in fact, now works.  What's the problem again?

Blah blah blah and now the customer is mad at me for my "attitude".  I sweetly apologize and wash my hands of these assholes.  

I hope their phones catch fire in their pockets.

It does. not. pay. to deliver extra service.

That's probably the 2nd best thing about working the sign waiving job, I barely have to deal with people at all. When I do, it's mostly A) People asking for directions or B) People offering commiseration for me having to put up with crappy weather. In summer, this sometimes comes in the form of offering me a cold drink, in winter I'll sometimes get offered a coffee.

I love that my current job has very little customer service, beyond helping employees.  we do get some people in off the streets, and they are usually farmers who show up with a box of something and think we are going to test them or whatever for free, or people coming in to fill out job applications and are disappointed to find out that it's all done online, but it's rare.  And I sometimes have to answer the phones which I hate (I think it's some sort of trauma related to working at the call center).  

Regarding the thing I wrote last might, I've seen this scenario play out before. Phone is broken. Take to store. Demand *something* be done to get it working. Rep gets phone working. Rep is then blamed for the damage the phone came in with. Free replacement phone is demanded.

I was snarky to the guy yesterday. He couldn't even articulate his complaint, other than "why did we have to fill out insurance paperwork, when he could have worked on the phone from the start". I was incredulous that they were unhappy about that, and told him so.

If you'd like a bright side to look at, think of it this way, the employee who went out of his way to be helpful now has a powerful example of why to stick to policy next time.

Also, new poll is up.
    rkwsuperstar
    rkwsuperstar

Post by rkwsuperstar Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:13 am

James.k.Polk wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:
    NebulaJack wrote:

A person brought in a phone today that had impact damage-- a concentrated area of broken glass. It looked like someone wearing heels had stepped on the phone or someone hit it with a ball peen hammer.

Ordinarily we do not work on such phones.  we help the customer pay the insurance deductible and the replacement phone is sent fedex the next business day.  This phone would not light up.

My sales/tech guy was helping the customer prepare the insurance claim.  In this case it was going to require an affidavit. Sometimes the Ins. company wants the customer to verify their ID...

After he fills out the required paperwork the customer decides she doesn't want to pay the deductible.  Against policy, the rep decides to take the phone apart to see if he can get it to power on.  Maybe a connector is loose, who knows?  He has the phone taken apart before I catch wind of what is going on.  I chastise the guy because I know that trying to help a customer in this situation is not in our best interest.  I inform him that this customer is guaranteed to try to punish him for having tried to help.

He puts the phone back together and  miraculously enough, it powers on and works.  he's delighted and takes the phone out to the floor to return it to the customer.

At this point the husband is also in the store.  He is now loudly complaining about this process.  My rep asks me to intercede because the husband is asking for a manager.

I ask what's wrong.  his complaint as far as I can tell, is that the repair took xxxx amount of time, and that we shouldn't have filled out the insurance paperwork and THEN tried to repair.

I tell him my rep was trying to go over and above to help his wife and I don't understand why he is upset.

He says he is not upset, but that we were wrong to do what we did before doing the other thing we did.

I explain that physical damage requires the insurance claim and that my rep was actually doing well beyond what he needed to do to help.  The phone, in fact, now works.  What's the problem again?

Blah blah blah and now the customer is mad at me for my "attitude".  I sweetly apologize and wash my hands of these assholes.  

That's probably the 2nd best thing about working the sign waiving job, I barely have to deal with people at all. When I do, it's mostly A) People asking for directions or B) People offering commiseration for me having to put up with crappy weather. In summer, this sometimes comes in the form of offering me a cold drink, in winter I'll sometimes get offered a coffee.

I love that my current job has very little customer service, beyond helping employees.  we do get some people in off the streets, and they are usually farmers who show up with a box of something and think we are going to test them or whatever for free, or people coming in to fill out job applications and are disappointed to find out that it's all done online, but it's rare.  And I sometimes have to answer the phones which I hate (I think it's some sort of trauma related to working at the call center).  

Regarding the thing I wrote last might, I've seen this scenario play out before. Phone is broken. Take to store. Demand *something* be done to get it working. Rep gets phone working. Rep is then blamed for the damage the phone came in with. Free replacement phone is demanded.

I was snarky to the guy yesterday. He couldn't even articulate his complaint, other than "why did we have to fill out insurance paperwork, when he could have worked on the phone from the start". I was incredulous that they were unhappy about that, and told him so.

They will probably be back in a week, demanding a new phone at no charge, because it quit working and now that the guy jacked with it, no insurance can be claimed (I assume) and it's not fair that they have to buy a phone, even though they refused the insurance anyway and only worked on the phone at their insistence.
    James.k.Polk
    James.k.Polk

Post by James.k.Polk Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:49 am

rkwsuperstar wrote:
    NebulaJack wrote:

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:21 pm