TR Haunt

Come hangout


    Thankful Thanksgiving

    Share
    avatar
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

    Posts : 829
    Join date : 2015-05-27

    Re: Thankful Thanksgiving

    Post by NebulaJack on Sat Nov 14, 2015 3:37 am

    rkwsuperstar wrote:
    NebulaJack wrote:Hi guys.

    New Poll is up.

    Polk, you back from Vegas yet? How was it?

    Arkay, how're thing with new coworker guy? Is he still training?

    Patch, could you recommend a good recipe for a side dish for a Thanksgiving dinner?

    Also, my good friend James (who is also the boyfriend of my room mate Suzy) has heard me talking about this community and would like to pop in. Would it be cool with y'all is I send him a link?

    Holy crap, I thought he'd never finish.  He was here until almost 3 p.m. on Wednesday.  I have NEVER had someone take 3 days to do their new hire training.  Sometimes it can go to 2 days, if we don't get the employee id back until late in the day, or they aren't here a full day (like we just hired a part-time guy, this is his 2nd job, so he came for new hire at 1:30, when he got off his regular job).  But this was 3 almost full days.  We had no computer problems.  The guy who had never even used a computer before only took 1 1/2 days.

    I seriously felt like it was Groundhog Day.  I should have posted pictures of Bill Murray attempting to kill himself with a toaster.

    Speaking of Groundhog Day, I wonder what kind of evil shenanigans Phil Connors got up to that didn't end up on camera. It seems likely he'd have at least considered killing Ned Ryerson a few times.
    avatar
    rkwsuperstar
    Achieved rank by cheating
    Achieved rank by cheating

    Posts : 1067
    Join date : 2015-05-26
    Location : bushes outside Momoa's house

    Re: Thankful Thanksgiving

    Post by rkwsuperstar on Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:34 pm

    NebulaJack wrote:Hi guys.

    New Poll is up.

    Polk, you back from Vegas yet? How was it?

    Arkay, how're thing with new coworker guy? Is he still training?

    Patch, could you recommend a good recipe for a side dish for a Thanksgiving dinner?

    Also, my good friend James (who is also the boyfriend of my room mate Suzy) has heard me talking about this community and would like to pop in. Would it be cool with y'all is I send him a link?

    Holy crap, I thought he'd never finish. He was here until almost 3 p.m. on Wednesday. I have NEVER had someone take 3 days to do their new hire training. Sometimes it can go to 2 days, if we don't get the employee id back until late in the day, or they aren't here a full day (like we just hired a part-time guy, this is his 2nd job, so he came for new hire at 1:30, when he got off his regular job). But this was 3 almost full days. We had no computer problems. The guy who had never even used a computer before only took 1 1/2 days.

    I seriously felt like it was Groundhog Day. I should have posted pictures of Bill Murray attempting to kill himself with a toaster.
    avatar
    Patch
    Achieved rank by cheating
    Achieved rank by cheating

    Posts : 810
    Join date : 2015-05-26
    Location : Lone Star State

    Re: Thankful Thanksgiving

    Post by Patch on Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:31 pm

    NebulaJack wrote:

    Patch, could you recommend a good recipe for a side dish for a Thanksgiving dinner?



    Not sure what you had in mind, but these are regulars around our place. Some are easier than other, but all of them taste great


    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/aaron-sanchez/chorizo-and-cornbread-stuffing-recipe.html
    http://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/grilled-asparagus-4
    http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/mashed-sweet-potatoes-with-brown-sugar-and-pecans-15683
    http://www.campbellskitchen.com/recipes/broccoli-rice-casserole-26119
    avatar
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

    Posts : 829
    Join date : 2015-05-27

    Re: Thankful Thanksgiving

    Post by NebulaJack on Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:24 pm

    Hi guys.

    New Poll is up.

    Polk, you back from Vegas yet? How was it?

    Arkay, how're thing with new coworker guy? Is he still training?

    Patch, could you recommend a good recipe for a side dish for a Thanksgiving dinner?

    Also, my good friend James (who is also the boyfriend of my room mate Suzy) has heard me talking about this community and would like to pop in. Would it be cool with y'all is I send him a link?
    avatar
    rkwsuperstar
    Achieved rank by cheating
    Achieved rank by cheating

    Posts : 1067
    Join date : 2015-05-26
    Location : bushes outside Momoa's house

    Re: Thankful Thanksgiving

    Post by rkwsuperstar on Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:13 am

    NebulaJack wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:I just noticed what is printed under kegs and Nebsy's icons.  Nice one, Patch.

    Yeah, I seem to recall it used to be "Knows rkwsuperstar is a woman" or something like that.

    I think when as post comments, your count is tabulated and when you reach a certain number, you get another head...is that Boba Fett? And each time you get a new head, your "rank" changes.
    avatar
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

    Posts : 829
    Join date : 2015-05-27

    Re: Thankful Thanksgiving

    Post by NebulaJack on Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:05 pm

    rkwsuperstar wrote:I just noticed what is printed under kegs and Nebsy's icons.  Nice one, Patch.

    Yeah, I seem to recall it used to be "Knows rkwsuperstar is a woman" or something like that.
    avatar
    rkwsuperstar
    Achieved rank by cheating
    Achieved rank by cheating

    Posts : 1067
    Join date : 2015-05-26
    Location : bushes outside Momoa's house

    Re: Thankful Thanksgiving

    Post by rkwsuperstar on Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:18 pm

    I just noticed what is printed under kegs and Nebsy's icons. Nice one, Patch.
    avatar
    rkwsuperstar
    Achieved rank by cheating
    Achieved rank by cheating

    Posts : 1067
    Join date : 2015-05-26
    Location : bushes outside Momoa's house

    Re: Thankful Thanksgiving

    Post by rkwsuperstar on Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:17 pm

    kegs wrote:[quote="rkwsuperstar"
    I know.  I want to ask him what kind of space age, future computer he has at home, that a simple mouse and keyboard are so alien.

    [/quote]

    Like
    avatar
    kegs
    Believes Timely and Gonzo are meant to be together
    Believes Timely and Gonzo are meant to be together

    Posts : 458
    Join date : 2015-05-27

    Re: Thankful Thanksgiving

    Post by kegs on Thu Nov 12, 2015 5:09 pm

    [quote="rkwsuperstar"
    I know.  I want to ask him what kind of space age, future computer he has at home, that a simple mouse and keyboard are so alien.[/quote]

    avatar
    rkwsuperstar
    Achieved rank by cheating
    Achieved rank by cheating

    Posts : 1067
    Join date : 2015-05-26
    Location : bushes outside Momoa's house

    Re: Thankful Thanksgiving

    Post by rkwsuperstar on Thu Nov 12, 2015 4:04 pm

    NebulaJack wrote:
    James.k.Polk wrote:.  He's going to watch wrestling, now he's being paid to do so because he writes a story about it.

    I also feel like pointing out that the name change to Robots voice  was supposed to be about making the site more SFW and to attract more female readers.  

    Yet he posts articles about cum jars, reviews of porn videos and pictures of MLP Butt plugs.

    The hypocrisy is noticeable.

    It seems like the intent is to not scare off people before they get in the door, so to speak. Having NSFW content is one thing, but having a slightly NSFWish name that gives people the wrong idea got onto the nerves of the powers that be (which makes me wonder why they didn't think of that before buying the site from Rob Bricken).

    My problem with the name change is that it was without warning or consultation with the fan base. When he changed the slogan, he gave a clear reason why, and asked readers for a better one. If he'd done that with the site name, that would have been fine. We surely could have come up with something more interesting than "The Robot's Voice".[/quote]

    Agreed. I understand the idea behind the name change. People hear topless and immediately assume things. But A. it's a dumb name B. it's no less confusing as to what kind of site it is C. I still hate the new eye-searing logo with all of my being and D. it seems like it was done "behind our backs" instead of being up front about it, like he was with the motto change and the change to facebook.
    avatar
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

    Posts : 829
    Join date : 2015-05-27

    Re: Thankful Thanksgiving

    Post by NebulaJack on Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:26 pm

    Hey guys, new poll is up.

    I'm off to school.

    Polk, have fun on the flight back.

    See y'all later.
    avatar
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

    Posts : 829
    Join date : 2015-05-27

    Re: Thankful Thanksgiving

    Post by NebulaJack on Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:25 pm

    James.k.Polk wrote:.  He's going to watch wrestling, now he's being paid to do so because he writes a story about it.

    I also feel like pointing out that the name change to Robots voice  was supposed to be about making the site more SFW and to attract more female readers.  

    Yet he posts articles about cum jars, reviews of porn videos and pictures of MLP Butt plugs.

    The hypocrisy is noticeable. [/quote]

    It seems like the intent is to not scare off people before they get in the door, so to speak. Having NSFW content is one thing, but having a slightly NSFWish name that gives people the wrong idea got onto the nerves of the powers that be (which makes me wonder why they didn't think of that before buying the site from Rob Bricken).

    My problem with the name change is that it was without warning or consultation with the fan base. When he changed the slogan, he gave a clear reason why, and asked readers for a better one. If he'd done that with the site name, that would have been fine. We surely could have come up with something more interesting than "The Robot's Voice".
    avatar
    James.k.Polk
    Achieved rank by cheating
    Achieved rank by cheating

    Posts : 1094
    Join date : 2015-05-26
    Location : Zeta reticuli

    Re: Thankful Thanksgiving

    Post by James.k.Polk on Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:26 pm

    .  He's going to watch wrestling, now he's being paid to do so because he writes a story about it.[/quote]

    I also feel like pointing out that the name change to Robots voice was supposed to be about making the site more SFW and to attract more female readers.

    Yet he posts articles about cum jars, reviews of porn videos and pictures of MLP Butt plugs.

    The hypocrisy is noticeable.
    avatar
    rkwsuperstar
    Achieved rank by cheating
    Achieved rank by cheating

    Posts : 1067
    Join date : 2015-05-26
    Location : bushes outside Momoa's house

    Re: Thankful Thanksgiving

    Post by rkwsuperstar on Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:27 pm

    James.k.Polk wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:For those of you haunting on FB, did you see a post from Gonzo to LYT, asking why another nerd website is covering some band that is not nerdy, and LYT states that when he was there, the argument by the editor (not by the whole team) was music-nerd was valid.  His tone (as much of a tone as you can read) seems to suggest that he doesn't agree.  Which begs the question...why the hell is there wrestling on the TRV site?  I know this has been brought up before, and I only mention it today because I took his statement on FB as he didn't agree with the argument that Footloose was a nerd topic.

    I don't understand the kind of Nerd bigotry Luke Thompson espouses.  He thinks nerdism includes exactly the things he likes,  and nothing more.  When I try to remind him that nerds can be interested in a wide variety of pursuits other than toys,  movies and pro wrestling,  he basically tells me to fuck off and then acts like I'm being a Bitch about it.

    His attitude that if you don't like it,  fuck off caused me to fuck off.  And not giving him the satisfaction of a thousand comment flame war rage thread us the best way I can think of to express myself.

    As iI saidbefore,  I'm done with Topless Robot and haven't rewarded Luke with a single page hit since. i

    I agree, I believe he was trying to incite some sort of argument, between you, him, and anyone else who wanted to jump in.

    And while I don't agree with the wrestling being nerdy, personally, I do agree that people can BE nerdy about everything. So I don't argue NOT to include it, I just don't read those. But if you state that wrestling is nerdy, then why isn't NASCAR which has as big of a following as WWE? Why isn't baseball card collecting? Because, as you stated, he's not interested in those things. He's going to watch wrestling, now he's being paid to do so because he writes a story about it.
    avatar
    James.k.Polk
    Achieved rank by cheating
    Achieved rank by cheating

    Posts : 1094
    Join date : 2015-05-26
    Location : Zeta reticuli

    Re: Thankful Thanksgiving

    Post by James.k.Polk on Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:38 am

    rkwsuperstar wrote:For those of you haunting on FB, did you see a post from Gonzo to LYT, asking why another nerd website is covering some band that is not nerdy, and LYT states that when he was there, the argument by the editor (not by the whole team) was music-nerd was valid.  His tone (as much of a tone as you can read) seems to suggest that he doesn't agree.  Which begs the question...why the hell is there wrestling on the TRV site?  I know this has been brought up before, and I only mention it today because I took his statement on FB as he didn't agree with the argument that Footloose was a nerd topic.

    I don't understand the kind of Nerd bigotry Luke Thompson espouses. He thinks nerdism includes exactly the things he likes, and nothing more. When I try to remind him that nerds can be interested in a wide variety of pursuits other than toys, movies and pro wrestling, he basically tells me to fuck off and then acts like I'm being a Bitch about it.

    His attitude that if you don't like it, fuck off caused me to fuck off. And not giving him the satisfaction of a thousand comment flame war rage thread us the best way I can think of to express myself.

    As iI saidbefore, I'm done with Topless Robot and haven't rewarded Luke with a single page hit since. i
    avatar
    James.k.Polk
    Achieved rank by cheating
    Achieved rank by cheating

    Posts : 1094
    Join date : 2015-05-26
    Location : Zeta reticuli

    Re: Thankful Thanksgiving

    Post by James.k.Polk on Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:48 am

    Patch wrote:
    James.k.Polk wrote:No star wars slot machine so far,  but iI did put 20 into a Superman machine and pulled fifty out.  That makes me down only like forty bucks on gambling so far.

    Roll on. You going to have any time to slip off and see a show or something?

    I remember going there with a girlfriend back in the 80's and we scored some tickets to a burlesque show. We didn't know that until we were in line. They were promotional for the hotel we were at. It was fun. Fancy strippers singing their songs.

    There's a hotel here with a show called SEXXY. Which is the name of a They Might Be Giants song. But it's pretty much just topless pole dancers. Last night was the cocktail party at the Hard Rock. I got back to the hotel at 11:30 and went to bed. Tonight is the awards banquet which I believe has Moar alcohol and a nice meal and maybe prizes.

    Tomorrow I'm free until the plane takes off which is like 4:30 PM. I was going to get an Uber and go to the pinball museum then maybe buy some m&ms that say "James.k.Polk"
    avatar
    rkwsuperstar
    Achieved rank by cheating
    Achieved rank by cheating

    Posts : 1067
    Join date : 2015-05-26
    Location : bushes outside Momoa's house

    Re: Thankful Thanksgiving

    Post by rkwsuperstar on Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:07 am

    For those of you haunting on FB, did you see a post from Gonzo to LYT, asking why another nerd website is covering some band that is not nerdy, and LYT states that when he was there, the argument by the editor (not by the whole team) was music-nerd was valid. His tone (as much of a tone as you can read) seems to suggest that he doesn't agree. Which begs the question...why the hell is there wrestling on the TRV site? I know this has been brought up before, and I only mention it today because I took his statement on FB as he didn't agree with the argument that Footloose was a nerd topic.
    avatar
    rkwsuperstar
    Achieved rank by cheating
    Achieved rank by cheating

    Posts : 1067
    Join date : 2015-05-26
    Location : bushes outside Momoa's house

    Re: Thankful Thanksgiving

    Post by rkwsuperstar on Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:58 pm

    NebulaJack wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:
    James.k.Polk wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:We are on day 3 of New Hire working on his training.  Most people are done the first day, even with having to wait for their employee ID.  He has 3 1/2 trainings left (he's finishing one he started yesterday).  Yesterday, he completed 4 and the beginning of a 5th.  He is going to be in here all day.

    I have one kid I have to tell him to keep his phone in his pocket or his trainings take all day.  Maybe look in on him and make sure he isn't screwing around.

    Oh, no, the guy is in my office.  I have it set up so I can see their computer screen from my desk.  He's been working on the training.  He's just hella slow.  You also have to pass the quiz with a 100, or take it over and over until you do.  He has to take them many times.

    He told me that it's the computer.  If he were on his computer at home, he could do this fast, but he's not used to this computer.  ??  What the hell does that mean?  Monitor, keyboard, mouse.  Nothing fancy about them.  He's not set up in holographic tube or something.  

    Can you call his bluff and tell him to bring in his computer from home? I doubt that you can, but wouldn't it be so satisfying to see him try to explain why he still sucks after being slower than a feather falling through molasses on his own rig?

    I know. I want to ask him what kind of space age, future computer he has at home, that a simple mouse and keyboard are so alien.
    avatar
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

    Posts : 829
    Join date : 2015-05-27

    Re: Thankful Thanksgiving

    Post by NebulaJack on Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:30 pm

    So, I got my 2nd test back yesterday. I got a B. I also handed in my corrected 1st test, so that should bump things up. I'm doing well in the class, which is a relief.

    As I was headed to class though, I got a text from Amazon that a box of 48 rolls of Toilet Paper I'd ordered had been delivered a day sooner than expected, to which my reaction was "MOTHERFUCKER!" because no one else had been home when I took for for school, and I had to go by my rental agency to drop off $40.00 that I forgot last week (my rent went from 1050, to 1090 a month when I renewed my lease last year, and I sometimes default to the older number). So that was looking to be at least 3 or 4 hours that the package would sit there like a giant thief magnet. I called up my former room mate to ask if he could put the package behind the fence gate, so it'd be at least out of site. He said yeah. Then he sent me a text saying that he'd run into one of my roommate's on the bus to my house, so it was all good.

    Got a cold day of sign waiving ahead of me. It occurred to me the other day that it's the time of year that I should start wearing long johns again, but I forgot about that until now, and it's too late for today. At least there's a low chance of rain, so I'll only wear the rain coat and not have to fuck with the pants/overalls.

    Also, new poll is up.
    avatar
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

    Posts : 829
    Join date : 2015-05-27

    Re: Thankful Thanksgiving

    Post by NebulaJack on Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:16 pm

    rkwsuperstar wrote:
    James.k.Polk wrote:
    rkwsuperstar wrote:We are on day 3 of New Hire working on his training.  Most people are done the first day, even with having to wait for their employee ID.  He has 3 1/2 trainings left (he's finishing one he started yesterday).  Yesterday, he completed 4 and the beginning of a 5th.  He is going to be in here all day.

    I have one kid I have to tell him to keep his phone in his pocket or his trainings take all day.  Maybe look in on him and make sure he isn't screwing around.

    Oh, no, the guy is in my office.  I have it set up so I can see their computer screen from my desk.  He's been working on the training.  He's just hella slow.  You also have to pass the quiz with a 100, or take it over and over until you do.  He has to take them many times.

    He told me that it's the computer.  If he were on his computer at home, he could do this fast, but he's not used to this computer.  ??  What the hell does that mean?  Monitor, keyboard, mouse.  Nothing fancy about them.  He's not set up in holographic tube or something.  

    Can you call his bluff and tell him to bring in his computer from home? I doubt that you can, but wouldn't it be so satisfying to see him try to explain why he still sucks after being slower than a feather falling through molasses on his own rig?
    avatar
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

    Posts : 829
    Join date : 2015-05-27

    Re: Thankful Thanksgiving

    Post by NebulaJack on Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:15 pm

    rkwsuperstar wrote:
    James.k.Polk wrote:
    Patch wrote:While my rant was based on political BS, I've noticed it's everywhere. The local news, morning national shows, they all slant to suit their needs. A cop shoot someone? Don't wait for the details, just run the story and blame the police. Some kid takes a suspicious looking clock to school. Let's make him a celebrity out of him. Had that clock blown up, the same media would have blamed the school for not being more diligent.
    Honestly watching the news now days is no different than trying to learn the truth by reading Facebook posts.  It's all BS trying to create hype from nothing, to get more likes, or in this case ratings.

    My wife turns on the news every morning. That's my cue to get out of bed and go make coffee.

    That story infuriated me.  A white kid takes apart an alarm clock and mounts it in that kind of pencil case,  he’s looking at Federal charges regardless of his "intentions".

    Thus kid did what he did looking to get on the news to play the part of the persecuted minority.

    Now that the story has turned on him,  he and his family fucked off to Qatar.

    While I personally think the reaction was a bit over the top (I mean, okay, freak out until you know it's not a bomb.  But there was no reason to handcuff him), I also think the aftermath reaction was ridiculous.  He didn't INVENT anything.  Bill Maher showed dozens of youtube videos explaining how to do exactly what this kid did-take the parts out of a clock and put it in something else.  

    When I heard that the kid's dad is a big political activist and that there was suspicion that the family planned the whole thing in anticipation of the exact reaction that they got, I was of two minds on the issue. While it's definitely a display of shitty morality, I admire the cunning and calculation involved in the maneuver. They basically gambled that the school administration would be an over reactionary bunch of twats, and they won media exposure and a trip to the White House. That's some shrewd scheming right there.
    avatar
    NebulaJack
    Polk's drinking buddy
    Polk's drinking buddy

    Posts : 829
    Join date : 2015-05-27

    Re: Thankful Thanksgiving

    Post by NebulaJack on Wed Nov 11, 2015 3:09 pm

    James.k.Polk wrote:No star wars slot machine so far,  but iI did put 20 into a Superman machine and pulled fifty out.  That makes me down only like forty bucks on gambling so far.

    I tried to post this yesterday, but the message board blocked me with a "someone posted something new while you were typing, do you want to modify this?" and I didn't see it til I got home.

    Anyway, Polk, take some pics of the strip. Landscape shots and stuff. Also, if you're still up for grabbing soveniers and passing em along, any kind of shot glasses or wine glasses with a casino logo would be greatly appreciated. I'll even match you with something from a place out here if you like.
    avatar
    Patch
    Achieved rank by cheating
    Achieved rank by cheating

    Posts : 810
    Join date : 2015-05-26
    Location : Lone Star State

    Re: Thankful Thanksgiving

    Post by Patch on Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:33 pm

    James.k.Polk wrote:No star wars slot machine so far,  but iI did put 20 into a Superman machine and pulled fifty out.  That makes me down only like forty bucks on gambling so far.

    Roll on. You going to have any time to slip off and see a show or something?

    I remember going there with a girlfriend back in the 80's and we scored some tickets to a burlesque show. We didn't know that until we were in line. They were promotional for the hotel we were at. It was fun. Fancy strippers singing their songs.
    avatar
    Patch
    Achieved rank by cheating
    Achieved rank by cheating

    Posts : 810
    Join date : 2015-05-26
    Location : Lone Star State

    Re: Thankful Thanksgiving

    Post by Patch on Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:27 pm

    rkwsuperstar wrote:  ??  What the hell does that mean?  Monitor, keyboard, mouse.  Nothing fancy about them.  He's not set up in holographic tube or something.  

    His home computer is a Commodore 64. He cant figure out where the floppy drive is on your "fancy future puter."
    avatar
    James.k.Polk
    Achieved rank by cheating
    Achieved rank by cheating

    Posts : 1094
    Join date : 2015-05-26
    Location : Zeta reticuli

    Re: Thankful Thanksgiving

    Post by James.k.Polk on Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:41 am

    No star wars slot machine so far, but iI did put 20 into a Superman machine and pulled fifty out. That makes me down only like forty bucks on gambling so far.

    Sponsored content

    Re: Thankful Thanksgiving

    Post by Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:23 am